Peyton Krebs, would you keep him?

LGR4GM

1 minute ago, Believer said:

Total money.

still think that is way too high.  As others have said, it should be at, or close to his qualifying offer. 1 year for a bout $1m. That would be about a 20% raise for him, and he hasn't even earned that yet.

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

2.5-3mil a year for krebs is still too much IMO

Disagree, and that’s ok.

7 minutes ago, Believer said:

Quick trigger… Kid exhibits High Compete… is 23… 6’ 185 lbs… Can put on 10-15 lbs of muscle with work and time… Would have no issue signing Krebs 2 yrs for $5-6M to let him find his identity unless the new Coach doesn’t see any potential.

Holy overpayment Batman!! 😱

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

Holy overpayment Batman!! 😱

No… Overpayment is $49M for 7 years to Cozens… or $58M for 7 years to Powers… both Come Bets… I’m willing to pay for Krebs’ shift-in shift-out High Compete and Enthusiasm … attributes in short supply on the roster… It can be infectious in team-building… Giving Krebs a couple years at $2.5-3.0 per to prove his worth is my Come Bet… Hope he gets a chance to prove me right or wrong.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

2.5-3mil a year for krebs is still too much IMO

Yeah who is he, Zemgus Girgensons?!

/s

1 minute ago, Believer said:

No… Overpayment is $49M for 7 years to Cozens… or $58M for 7 years to Powers… both Come Bets… I’m willing to pay for Krebs’ shift-in shift-out High Compete and Enthusiasm … attributes in short supply on the roster… It can be infectious in team-building… Giving Krebs a couple years at $2.5-3.0 per to prove his worth is my Come Bet… Hope he gets a chance to prove me right or wrong.

Prove it deals are cheap, not an extra $1m+ per season. 

29 minutes ago, Believer said:

Quick trigger… Kid exhibits High Compete… is 23… 6’ 185 lbs… Can put on 10-15 lbs of muscle with work and time… Would have no issue signing Krebs 2 yrs for $5-6M to let him find his identity unless the new Coach doesn’t see any potential.

The guideline I think should be the Thompson contract that preceded his current deal:  3 x $1.4 million.  It shows some commitment and belief from the team while giving the player the combination of security and some runway to clarify exactly what they are. Will the next contract be the same or less because they have made clear they are a bottom 6 or 4th line player?  Or, will the next contract be a difficult decision for the team as there is not enough cap space to cover the warranted raise?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

The guideline I think should be the Thompson contract that preceded his current deal:  3 x $1.4 million.  It shows some commitment and belief from the team while giving the player the combination of security and some runway to clarify exactly what they are. Will the next contract be the same or less because they have made clear they are a bottom 6 or 4th line player?  Or, will the next contract be a difficult decision for the team as there is not enough cap space to cover the warranted raise?

I like your guideline.

I’m generous by nature… and I know Compete and Enthusiasm are difficult to acquire if you aren’t born with them… unless you are in a culture and on a team that has them… Krebs has them… Benson has them… Dahlin has them… Maybe a few others… It’s a start.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/17/2024 at 6:58 AM, CallawaySabres said:

I can't think of a more useless player on this team. Some people have to be traded and if Adams is hesitant in trading him, this team is in HUGE trouble.

More useless than Krebs = Tyson Jost: the only Sabre with a lower analytics score than Krebs:  -0.33 vs. 0.14.  Even Olofsson had a higher grade than Krebs.  Any comments here demanding that Krebs be traded are have to take into account that Krebs has almost zero trade value.   "Packaging Krebs" for a trade makes me laugh out loud. The only smart play here is to let the new coach have at him in training camp and early in the season (assuming he makes the team).  Maybe he's salvageable, but otherwise he gets waived.  Then we have to hope Tuch + Östlund to salvage something from the Eichel trade fiasco. 

On 4/17/2024 at 5:36 PM, PickaPecaPickles said:

I'd like to see Krebs center a line with some offensive talent before tossing him out with the bath water.  I recall he centered for Quinn and JJ in Rochester for a brief stint and did well with them (4 + 11 = 15 in 18 games).  His +/- was terrible then, but he ended this season with +2. 

They did that this year prior to and then after trading Mitts.  He doesn’t put up scoring numbers.   

Trading him alone won’t get much and you are essentially giving away a young player.  Use him in a multi-player package deal and say you are throwing in a former 1.