Is the Defense better?

GASabresIUFAN

The Sabres gave up 888 HDCA last season 5 on 5. This was the 4th worst mark in the NHL last season.  That’s nearly 11 (10.82) HDCA per game.

This season the Sabres are 4th worst again with 138 5 on 5.  The good news this is nearly 1 chance against per game better.  (10.82 vs 9.85)

In 2022/23 those 888 chances resulted in 643 shots or 7.84 HDSA per game.  This was the 2nd worst number in the NHL.  This season we are only giving up 6.07 shots on those high danger chances.  

This season have allowed 293 shots (20.93 per game) against this season 5 on 5.  This is solidly middle of the pack number in the NHL this season.   Last season the Sabres allowed 2109 (25.72 per game) which was the 4th worst in the NHL.

Add the improved PK and I’d argue the D is better.  

The large number of HDCA is still a huge problem for this team.  

These stats match the eye test.  Joki is better than last season.  Ryan Johnson has been a great addition as a rookie.  Clifton is better post suspension and Eric Johnson has been a great addition.  I also think Power has improved defensively.  He seems more aware of using his size to his advantage.  

The biggest difference is moving on from Lyubuskin, Stillman, Clague, and Bryson and replacing them with Clifton, Johnson and Ryan Johnson. 

The biggest question is what happens when Mule returns.  Do you send Ryan down or waive Bryson? I’d send Ryan down unless DG has a plan to keep him in the lineup most nights, such as giving Mule and EJ days off to keep them healthy, especially given how well Ryan has played with Dahlin.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The Sabres gave up 888 HDCA last season 5 on 5. This was the 4th worst mark in the NHL last season.  That’s nearly 11 (10.82) HDCA per game.

This season the Sabres are 4th worst again with 138 5 on 5.  The good news this is nearly 1 chance against per game better.  (10.82 vs 9.85)

In 2022/23 those 888 chances resulted in 643 shots or 7.84 HDSA per game.  This was the 2nd worst number in the NHL.  This season we are only giving up 6.07 shots on those high danger chances.  

This season have allowed 293 shots (20.93 per game) against this season 5 on 5.  This is solidly middle of the pack number in the NHL this season.   Last season the Sabres allowed 2109 (25.72 per game) which was the 4th worst in the NHL.

These stats match the eye test.  Joki is better than last season.  Ryan Johnson has been a great addition as a rookie.  Clifton is better post suspension and Eric Johnson has been a great addition.  I also think Power has improved defensively.  He seems more aware of using his size to his advantage.  

The biggest difference is moving on from Lyubuskin, Stillman, Clague, and Bryson and replacing them with Clifton, Johnson and Ryan Johnson. 

The biggest question is what happens when Mule returns.  Do you send Ryan down or waive Bryson? I’d send Ryan down unless DG has a plan to keep him in the lineup most nights, such as giving Mule and EJ days off to keep them healthy, especially given how well Ryan has played with Dahlin.  

Well, that's the Q.  HAS Johnson moved ahead of anybody in the top 6.  He's playing on the 1st pair right now, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he is in the top 6.  (McNabb early in is career was Doughty's primary partner on the Kings' top pairing but was only 5th in ice time.)  It SEEMS he's ahead of Jokiharju on the pecking order but not sure whether that's wishful thinking or reality.

IF they're willing to / going to go to a rotation with the D similar to the rotation they went to w/ the F's last year, keep him up.  If they aren't ready to cycle through benching a vet every 3rd - 5th game, send him back and bring him up as soon as the next injury happens.  Expecting Girardi and E. Johnson will have a lot of input on the decision.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The D is much better at this stage of the season compared to last.  They can get even better.  

Ryan  Johnson could be a key.  He should go back if he is going to sit as the 7th defenseman.   If he continues to play like he has we can rotate him with other players, keeping EJ and others healthy.   We have a good problem when Muel gets back.  

15 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Well, that's the Q.  HAS Johnson moved ahead of anybody in the top 6.  He's playing on the 1st pair right now, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he is in the top 6.  (McNabb early in is career was Doughty's primary partner on the Kings' top pairing but was only 5th in ice time.)  It SEEMS he's ahead of Jokiharju on the pecking order but not sure whether that's wishful thinking or reality.

IF they're willing to / going to go to a rotation with the D similar to the rotation they went to w/ the F's last year, keep him up.  If they aren't ready to cycle through benching a vet every 3rd - 5th game, send him back and bring him up as soon as the next injury happens.  Expecting Girardi and E. Johnson will have a lot of input on the decision.

I would send him down for another stint to get top minutes.

Next injury on D, he comes back and stays in a rotation while Bryson is waived. Bryson’s salary will probably deter other teams from grabbing him, so he goes to Rochester. Bryson, Stillman and Clague come up to Buffalo as needed. Bryson’s buddies will have first hand experience that RyJo is better.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.