Projecting the Sabres 5 years from now - The Athletic

GASabresIUFAN

https://theathletic.com/4967512/2023/10/23/nhl-future-rosters-prospects-atlantic-division/

Buffalo Sabres

L1 Jack Quinn, Tage Thompson, Alex Tuch
L2 Casey Mittelstadt, Dylan Cozens, John Jason Peterka
L3 Zach Benson, Noah Östlund, Jiri Kulich
L4 Anton Wahlberg, Peyton Krebs, Olivier Nadeau

D1 Rasmus Dahlin, Owen Power
D2 Mattias Samuelsson, X
D3 Maxim Strbak, Henri Jokiharju

G1 X
G2 Devon Levi

Buffalo is a team built to win now but especially in the future. They have a lot of very good young players at all positions. Their forward depth is excellent. They have several star defensemen, too. The Sabres have used a lot of first-round picks recently on smaller forwards like Benson, Östlund and Matt Savoie. On the same team that has Peterka and Krebs, there probably isn’t room for all of them — which is fine in case one or two of them miss or are traded at the deadline. Levi/goaltending is the only minor question; if he proves he’s a legit starter then look out for Buffalo.

The forwards are nearly impossible to project, but the author is right that we are going to have a hard time picking between JJP, Benson, Savoie, Östlund, Rosen, and others.

I don’t think Krebs is here in 5 years and there will be someone deeper in the pipeline who will make that roster like Poltapov or Miedema.  

On defense I think Novikov is here in 5 years, while Joki will be long gone. Johnson and McCarthy will be in the mix as well.

Ratzlaff will be sharing the net with Levi.  

Obviously, there will be some other 1st rd picks competing for jobs.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

5 years? Surely there will be names from outside the organization and not just the graduation of a few prospects. That’s generally an eternity re: turnover. Projecting 5 years out just seems frivolous - this seems to be more less a current prospect depth chart with 24 and unders mixed in

and Tuch

it’s a roster exercise in name but essentially a prospect projection in reality 

Edited by Thorny
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Here's what it might have looked like 5 years ago:

Skinner Eichel Reinhart

Nylander Mittelstadt Thompson

Olofsson Asplund Rodrigues

Girgensons Larsson XXXX

Dahlin Ristolainen

McCabe Montour

Samuelsson Borgen

Ullmark

Luukkonen

How did that one turn out?

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Here's what it might have looked like 5 years ago:

Skinner Eichel Reinhart

Nylander Mittelstadt Thompson

Olofsson Asplund Rodrigues

Girgensons Larsson XXXX

Dahlin Ristolainen

McCabe Montour

Samuelsson Borgen

Ullmark

Luukkonen

How did that one turn out?

In other words, it’s a stupid exercise to project what a roster is going to be 5 years from now.

Ok, I’m my opinion it’s stupid and a waste. 😂

I’ll ignorantly project, only 6 players will be on the roster 5 years from now, that are on the roster this season. Which ones? No freaking clue. Anything can and will happen so it’s kinda pointless.  

55 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

https://theathletic.com/4967512/2023/10/23/nhl-future-rosters-prospects-atlantic-division/

The forwards are nearly impossible to project, but the author is right that we are going to have a hard time picking between JJP, Benson, Savoie, Östlund, Rosen, and others.

I don’t think Krebs is here in 5 years and there will be someone deeper in the pipeline who will make that roster like Poltapov or Miedema.  

On defense I think Novikov is here in 5 years, while Joki will be long gone. Johnson and McCarthy will be in the mix as well.

Ratzlaff will be sharing the net with Levi.  

Obviously, there will be some other 1st rd picks competing for jobs.

I do feel a bit of an improv block by saying this is such a touch and go excercise… I suppose one thing we can certainly take from this is Adams will have a lot of flexibility in filling out the spots that do change, by way of prospect currency

The moves Adams has made do way more for my wishes to see him make further transactions that not 

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.