Annual expectations thread 2023/24: #77 JJ Peterka

dudacek

Annual expectations thread 2023/24: #77 JJ Peterka  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these best reflects your expectations for JJ Peterka this year?

• Regression as others push past him on the depth chart
    • Mostly more of the same, maybe with some improvement in his consistency and production
    • Notably better play with increased responsibility and a significant jump in production

7 minutes ago, JustOneParade said:

This is why I believe, when he's ready, Benson will replace JJP on that 2nd line and JJP will be the 3rd line winger (along with Kulich) centered by Mitts or Krebs.

I'm not worried about JJ eventually being moved to a lower line. What I expect from him and the team in general is to play better on the defensive side of the game. If they do, this team is going to be good. And our goalie play will be the beneficiaries of that more two-way mind-set. 

On 9/6/2023 at 1:25 PM, JustOneParade said:

This is why I believe, when he's ready, Benson will replace JJP on that 2nd line and JJP will be the 3rd line winger (along with Kulich) centered by Mitts or Krebs.

By the time Benson gets fully ready/acclimated to the NHL I suspect Kulich could join Tage and replace Skinner (2-3 years out). I am high on Kulich given his deadly sniper shot and his work ethic. Don’t think he will be a 3rd liner for long. 

• Like (+1) 1

https://theathletic.com/4869001/2023/09/19/nhl-breakout-players-2023-24/

Clifton and JJP listed among the 10 in the article.

JJ Peterka, Buffalo Sabres

JJ Peterka will be a critical top-six contributor for the Sabres, playing on Dylan Cozens’ line. He should see a decent bump from the 13:39 he averaged per game last season, especially because of Jack Quinn’s injury.

Peterka had a solid rookie campaign, contributing 32 points in 77 games, and 27 of those 32 points came at five-on-five, which is an encouraging trend. Peterka’s speed made him a constant threat off the rush. He has the high-end puck skills and sharp passing ability to make difficult plays in high traffic.

He drove play really well as a rookie and would have had more bottom-line production if he had finished his chances a bit better. Peterka was an impressive shooter coming up as a prospect, so we should see improvement in that regard. In fact, he’s already showing positive signs on that front, as he exploded for seven goals and 12 points in 10 games for Germany at the World Championship this summer.

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.