11 forwards and 7 defenseman lineup to start the season??

sweetlou

This is possible, but not likely in my view.  Barring a trade or injury, Olofsson is likely part of the opening night line-up and will be given an opportunity to play himself in or out of a consistent role. I think they would have preferred to trade him earlier in the off-season, but there is just no market for wingers in the NHL (which, by the way, should be a cautionary tale about the value of our smaller, unproven, not-guaranteed to play centre in the NHL, forward prospects). By the time Quinn is ready to return, other injuries will have occurred.  Olofsson will, I think, get a solid opportunity to keep himself consistently in the line-up.  I think they try to capitalize on his contract year status; 30 goals is not unrealistic.  It's very possible that 6 months from now we look back and laugh at how we fans were generally so ready to just move on from Olofsson.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

4 to 6 months was the estimate on return to play, so early November at best, but more likely in the new year.

Return to form is anyone's guess.

Anthony Duclair had a similar injury last year: " Duclair sustained a torn Achilles in July and didn't make his 2022-23 debut until Feb. 24." — nhl.com

Quinn and JJ were two players I hoped would make the leap this year. I'm hoping that after his tournament play this year JJ would come into camp roaring to go. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Lots of debate (and had wringing) on Adams and the forwards, Adams and the goalies. 

Wasn’t Adams allegedly pursuing a forward when free agency started?   I thought that was part of the rumor mill and that might have been before Quinn got hurt?  

Back to the topic:  I vote no on the 11F and 7D concept.   It reminds me of Krueger soccer-hockey, the opposite of Granato.  

What’s the difference?

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

What’s the difference?

The difference in 11 - 7 versus 12 - 6?   

Our bottom 3 defenseman are that good to keep a forward on the bench?  I doubt that they are.   We would be better off giving some shifts ( development opportunities) to someone like Savoie/Kulich/Rousek but actually I prefer to see them add a forward that can help us kill penalties and play a solid 200 foot game.  Someone like Tatar makes sense. 

Losing Quinn (replaced by rookies) and keeping VO are two negatives in the effort to play better defensive hockey as a team.  

11-7 is rare, but not unheard of.  Proponents of the 11-7 allocation argue that it gives top-liners a little extra ice time and make the defence more resilient to injuries in-game.

Having said that, I do not think it is the best use of the Sabres' players.  Because I expect the allocation to be 12-8-3, I think they are almost forced to do 11-7 in game.

4 hours ago, Marvin said:

11-7 is rare, but not unheard of.  Proponents of the 11-7 allocation argue that it gives top-liners a little extra ice time and make the defence more resilient to injuries in-game.

Having said that, I do not think it is the best use of the Sabres' players.  Because I expect the allocation to be 12-8-3, I think they are almost forced to do 11-7 in game.

Exactly...with the uncertaintyin the goaltending to start the year I can see them carrying 3 for the first month or so.  With 9 NHL defenseman, I see them sending Bryson to AHL if/when he clears waivers. Stillman would be the lone d scratch and let Joker, Cliffton, Bush, and Johnson split time depending on game situation behind Dahlin, Power and Mule.

Also, since it is the beginning of the season throwing a couple double shifts to Thompsson, Cozens, Tuch, Skinner, and Mitts can also spread the offense around the top lines.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.