Is the bad goaltending now ruining the Amerks season as well?

GASabresIUFAN

13 hours ago, etiennep99 said:

GMTM  traded for a #1 goalie and drafted several prospects.   At this point, like I said years ago, JJ is still better than UPL.  But, GMTM sucked at getting a real d-core.

GMJBot finally assembled a mediocre d-core, but couldn't get the forwards fixed, and preferred to draft d-men over goalies.

This is not exactly correct.  Jbot drafted UPL and Portillo, so 2 goalies in his 3 drafts with Ullmark and JJ already in the pipeline when he arrived.  He also used good picks on them, using a 2nd on UPL and a 3rd on Portillo. 

TM only drafted one goalie, JJ, but traded for Lehner.  DR drafted Ullmark and Cal Petersen.

We have had goalies in the pipeline, but we haven’t developed another Miller.  Ullmark became a starter and losing Petersen has really hurt in the end.  I don’t think we are having this discussion if we managed to sign Petersen.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

TM only drafted one goalie, JJ, but traded for Lehner.  DR drafted Ullmark and Cal Petersen.

We have had goalies in the pipeline, but we haven’t developed another Miller.  Ullmark became a starter and losing Petersen has really hurt in the end.  I don’t think we are having this discussion if we managed to sign Petersen.  

He probably didn’t sign because we had traded for Lehner 2 years before. In an alternate universe, we don’t trade away the 21st pick in 2015, but pick Boeser instead. Cal Petersen decides to sign with us and we make the playoffs last year. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, kas23 said:

He probably didn’t sign because we had traded for Lehner 2 years before. In an alternate universe, we don’t trade away the 21st pick in 2015, but pick Boeser instead. Cal Petersen decides to sign with us and we make the playoffs last year. 

If Cal's reason to sign in LA was to play immediately, well, he gambled wrong.  He's spent years in Quick's shadow. Even now, he still hasn't supplanted Quick. This year they have 10 GP for Quick and 8 GP for Peterson.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/22/2021 at 8:50 AM, GASabresIUFAN said:

This is not exactly correct.  Jbot drafted UPL and Portillo, so 2 goalies in his 3 drafts with Ullmark and JJ already in the pipeline when he arrived.  He also used good picks on them, using a 2nd on UPL and a 3rd on Portillo. 

My bad.  I shouldn't post when tired and without double checking hockeydb.

But, it's still true that KA hasn't *drafted* a goalie, even despite having 11 picks this year.  Yes, he did make getting Levi a priority in the Reinhart trade.   Do we know why that trade took all night long into the next morning?  I thought that what we got was what was agreed to during the first round anyhow.  Was KA trying to trade up to get Cossa or Wallstedt, and thus holding off on making the trade final?

Getting back to JBot's drafts, do we expect any of Cronholm(D), Kukkonen(D), Worge-Kreu(D) or Cederqvist(LW) to get signed someday?

2017 turned out OK. Davidsson seems like a bust (injury problems too) and wasn't signed.  But we got: Mitts, UPL, Bryson, Weissbach, and Laaksonen.    I expect Fitzgerald to be the first RD injury call up, but Laaksonen could probably play in the NHL in a pinch.  Fitz is playing more like how Borgen was playing when we wanted him up here.  Maybe if Miller gets traded we'll see Fitzgerald?

8 minutes ago, etiennep99 said:

My bad.  I shouldn't post when tired and without double checking hockeydb.

But, it's still true that KA hasn't *drafted* a goalie, even despite having 11 picks this year.  Yes, he did make getting Levi a priority in the Reinhart trade.   Do we know why that trade took all night long into the next morning?  I thought that what we got was what was agreed to during the first round anyhow.  Was KA trying to trade up to get Cossa or Wallstedt, and thus holding off on making the trade final?

Getting back to JBot's drafts, do we expect any of Cronholm(D), Kukkonen(D), Worge-Kreu(D) or Cederqvist(LW) to get signed someday?

2017 turned out OK. Davidsson seems like a bust (injury problems too) and wasn't signed.  But we got: Mitts, UPL, Bryson, Weissbach, and Laaksonen.    I expect Fitzgerald to be the first RD injury call up, but Laaksonen could probably play in the NHL in a pinch.  Fitz is playing more like how Borgen was playing when we wanted him up here.  Maybe if Miller gets traded we'll see Fitzgerald?

Honestly who knows.  All 3 D are playing in their countries top league.  I’ve read some good things about Kukkonen over the last couple of years.  I do expect Cederqvist to be signed.  He has really taken a step forward this season.

Laaksonen and Fitz should see NHL time at some point this year but Samuelsson is the first call up.  

KA’s last draft was a very TM type draft. Wingers wingers and more wingers, with the exception of Novikov at the end who could turnout to be the best pick outside of Power.  

None of this solves the goaltending issues however.  Levi and Portillo are years from the Sabres, and UPL needs something to jump start his progression.

If I were KA I’d be burning up the phones to see who is available and at what cost.  First call is to Dallas when Holtby or Bishop get healthy.  

Next I watch the waiver wire daily to see if anyone is moved.  At this point no reason not to grab someone.  We have used 20 goalies since Miller left town, why not one more.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.