Thank you Gary Bettman!

hopeleslyobvious

It's the best thing for the NHL right now, but I'll believe it when I see it.

If he stands true to his word, then I won't wear my "Bettman Sucks" T-shirt anymore.... but I still wish I had the one of the hockey glove giving the finger with Bettman's name underneath it.

It's the best thing for the NHL right now, but I'll believe it when I see it.

If he stands true to his word, then I won't wear my "Bettman Sucks" T-shirt anymore.... but I still wish I had the one of the hockey glove giving the finger with Bettman's name underneath it.

I think the new enforcement is here to stay. Everyone has been skeptical all year, but the league has stayed true to it's word. Sure there were a few lapses here and there, but every time there has been Walkom has stepped in and got the refs back in line.

this definitely is the new NHL trying to shed its old skin.... Glad to hear this, as it will allow the game to be the wide open, fast, elegant and hard hitting game its supposed to be and hasn't been for a decade or more prior to this season.

I think the new enforcement is here to stay. Everyone has been skeptical all year, but the league has stayed true to it's word. Sure there were a few lapses here and there, but every time there has been Walkom has stepped in and got the refs back in line.

Hopeless, you hit it right on the head.

Also, I was encouraged that the league will continue to crack down on obstruction in the playoffs by the broadcast of the Sabres - Canes game. Benedetti (sp?) and Eliot must have stated at least 10 times during the game that the style of play both teams play is what the league was hoping for with its obstruction crack down. The announcers try to say stuff their bosses want to hear. (Thus Brickley and Edwards babble incoherently.) If the league (their bosses) weren't planning on continuing the crack down, I don't think those 2 would have been allowed to harp on the obstruction crack down so much.

I also think that Bettman realizes how stupid HE will look if the league goes back to business as usual right at the time when "casual fans" might start watching the games. It would be a real bad idea to put a premium on slow skating and bear hugs when people will actually be watching (playoff ratings are always higher than regular season ratings).

I really hope for hockey in general a team that plays the open style wins the cup like the canes. Say, I believe this point has been brought up before, the Devils win the cup this year with the trap they run it will be a huge set back for all of hockey. If the playoffs have games that run 5-4 and are end to end then it will bring even more people to the game and hopefully a better cable provider so I don't have to watch comcast at my friends house.

Archived