Novotny & Janik called up

inkman

Don't know about Paille or Thorburn, but Paetsch was still injured last time I checked (about a week ago).

They probably only brought Novotny up so that there would be 5 lines worth of forwards skating in practice (assuming Mair isn't practicing). Bringing up Janik gives an even number of D so Rory has someone to work with in practice as well.

My guess is Lindy didn't want more guys because the practices become unweildy, but don't know that for sure. I also would expect that if Hecht or Grier or one of the other "2 way" players go down, we will see Paille at least practicing with the big club.

i thought they were all called up...10 in all...but janik and somebody else were the only two to practice with the team...no link..sorry

I believe 12 players were called up. They will be at every practice the Sabres have, they will watch and learn from the big boys, then have a practice of their own....

It looks like all the Sabres "properties" in Rochester except for Cullen, Taylor, and McMorrow got called up, but most won't be practicing with the Sabres.

I'm not sure why Taylor and Cullen weren't called up. I don't know their minor league salaries, but they might have been too high to not have to go through waivers. I'd be amazed if McMorrow were making above $75k in Rochester, so I guess he didn't get called up because the Sabres figured 1 goon in the press box was enough.

. I'd be amazed if McMorrow were making above $75k in Rochester, so I guess he didn't get called up because the Sabres figured 1 goon in the press box was enough.

It also (not surprisngly) shows the organ-eye-zation's direction and the belief that McMorrow's time is done. Too bad, he was a scary dude on the ice and a hell of a contributor off of it.

I think Novotny has a legitimate shot for some ice time in the series if the Sabres start off slow. He is big, shows a willingness to mix it up along the boards and did not look out of place during the regular season. The last forward spot could be a rotation of Pyatt, Pominville and Novotny.

Archived