Arena White-Out on Saturday

PTS

Rumor has it the Sabres will be giving away two items on Saturday:

1. White T-Shirt

2. ???? - I'm guessing pom poms or something of that sort.

What does everyone think.

I think a white-out would be sweet and I don't think it would be ripping off the Jets/Coyotes because they ripped it off other sports.

1. White T-Shirt

I think a white-out would be sweet and I don't think it would be ripping off the Jets/Coyotes because they ripped it off other sports.

We did the same thing...was it in 92-93? It wasn't too long after Winnipeg did it. Plus the sea of red in 1999. I like it.

1. White T-Shirt

Pom poms wouldn't surprise me at all. Sabres have given them away fairly frequently at playoff games the last few times they made the playoffs.

The T would be slightly surprising, but cool. The last time they gave away a shirt at a playoff game was the "Red Sea of Sabre Fans" game (Game 3 vs. Dallas). They didn't give away autographed Sabres sweaters at this year's last regular season home game (which was becoming a bit of a tradition itself), so maybe they are planning on giving away T's at this next game. (Not that 20 sweaters cost any where near as much as 18,690 T-shirts.)

One of the coolest crowd handouts I've ever seen was what the Tampa Bay Buccaneers did for their Wild Card playoff game this past January.

Each seat received alternating color flags...white with a black pirate ship logo and the other was red with a skull and crossed swords (machettes, not sabres!). The visual effect this had at the beginnig of the game was just sick.

Here's a picture of what it looked like for those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about.

Bucs flags

The Sabres could easily copy this based on the jerseys. White flags with the goat-head logo, Red flags with their alternate jersey crossed machette logo, or the B pierced by a sabre.

While this effect was really cool when all the fans were waving their flags at the beginning of the game, the effect wasn't really there the rest of the game, unlike the White-Out or Sea of Red. Personally, I'd rather wait and save the Sea of Red for the first home game of the Cup finals...it means more that way.

Also, the white-out idea does look great, but I feel like it's SUCH a Canadian hockey thing. The Sea of Red was unique to Buffalo. Let the West Coast Canadian teams do their white outs in the Quarterfinals. Save our Red Sea until Game 1 or 3 of the Stanley Cup.

Sorry to be the cranky, fun-hating type, but... noooooo. None of that nonsense please. Yeah, it worked so well for Winnipeg/Phoenix, and us in 99, so by all means, bring it back. So original. You shouldn't need any gimmicks to get the fans into the game. How bout just an old fashioned loud, emotional crowd that isn't waving something or wearing something? And don't pom-poms suppress the noise? You can't clap while waving one of those things, can you? But if something has to be given away, how about miniature sabre that fans could fence the air with?

I agree PA. I didn't mind the Sea of Red, because at least it was "our" color, not just copying Winnipeg (and what does Winnipeg have that Buffalo would want to emulate?!?!)

I always thought that handouts such as pom-poms and towels just made the crowd quiter, since there is less clapping and pounding of seat backs.

Here's hoping the organization go "au naturale" for the first major pro sports postseason game in 5 years. If that's not enough to get the HSBC hopping what is?

Sorry to be the cranky, fun-hating type, but... noooooo. None of that nonsense please. Yeah, it worked so well for Winnipeg/Phoenix, and us in 99, so by all means, bring it back. So original. You shouldn't need any gimmicks to get the fans into the game. How bout just an old fashioned loud, emotional crowd that isn't waving something or wearing something? And don't pom-poms suppress the noise? You can't clap while waving one of those things, can you? But if something has to be given away, how about miniature sabre that fans could fence the air with?

Statistically these things never work. Winnipeg/Phoenix could not ever win a round. For us, the "white out" in 1994 against Jersey only got us eliminated in 5 or 6 and the Red Sea of Sabres Fans? yeah well, we know what happened there.

Give us the pom poms and let us wear what we want. Pom Poms work in Buffalo ;)

no, the home team always loses when theres that kind of gimmick going on. sea of red...remember the pittsburgh moose ears in 2001?

j

yeah we lost that game. i remember it well. 2-1, and of course barnes had the goal....just like in game 6.

Well...we got our answer. White out t-shirts with pom-poms.

I was thinking...doesn't the white out sort of loose it's appeal, now that the home teams are wearing their dark colored sweaters? It's sort of odd that everyone in the building except the Sabres and the Refs will be wearing primarily white...

Archived