Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Ogre

OT: The Gardening Thread

Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, spndnchz said:

Like eat right away

Oh. Yep! I can’t stop stuffing them in my face. 
 

Big old ‘mater sammiches on kaiser with lots of mayo, salt and pepper. Sometimes the crushed habanero ends up in there.

They’re so damned sweet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a Sugar Baby. It should be the size of a volleyball. The rest are. Not this one. Judging its weight to an Olympic weight plate I’d say close to 40 lbs.

ACF00A1D-5131-4659-B87E-AA8D324A538A.jpeg

  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Ogre said:

This is a Sugar Baby. It should be the size of a volleyball. The rest are. Not this one. Judging its weight to an Olympic weight plate I’d say close to 40 lbs.

ACF00A1D-5131-4659-B87E-AA8D324A538A.jpeg

That photo is fantastic.

Your hands are in the same position as Darnold's are on his watermelon.

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, SwampD said:

That photo is fantastic.

Your hands are in the same position as Darnold's are on his watermelon.

And Darnold’s head probably felt like it weighed 40lbs by the end of that game.

BTW, that was all replays and I never noticed that.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I noticed two odd plants back in July, maybe, in a spot where I had cherry tomatoes planted last year. They were only tomato-like. No flowers, no little tomatoes, and when you tore a leaf, it had only a bit of that distinctive tomato plant smell. I forgot about them until I spotted one of them today. It had grown quite tall and had fallen on some low, green ground cover. It has a stalk or two of small cherry tomatoes and more stalks that are flowering. All of a sudden it's not tomato-like, it's a tomato plant. The other one has no flowers or fruit and is still quite small. It's a lighter green than a normal tomato plant and more delicate.

I've never heard of tomato plants coming back one year to the next. Although, of course, tomatoes always fall and decompose in the late summer and fall. So the seeds are there. I've never seen anything come of them.

Climate change?

Edited by PASabreFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

I noticed two odd plants back in July, maybe, in a spot where I had cherry tomatoes planted last year. They were only tomato-like. No flowers, no little tomatoes, and when you tore a leaf, it had only a bit of that distinctive tomato plant smell. I forgot about them until I spotted one of them today. It had grown quite tall and had fallen on some low, green ground cover. It has a stalk or two of small cherry tomatoes and more stalks that are flowering. All of a sudden it's not tomato-like, it's a tomato plant. The other one has no flowers or fruit and is still quite small. It's a lighter green than a normal tomato plant and more delicate.

I've never heard of tomato plants coming back one year to the next. Although, of course, tomatoes always fall and decompose in the late summer and fall. So the seeds are there. I've never seen anything come of them.

Climate change?

Tomato plants go feral quite readily.  I've had them sprout up when I didn't clean out the garden of dropped veggies well enough and turned the whole mess over.  I'd bet that what you originally planted was a hybrid of some sort and what came back was one of the parent plants that produced the hybrid you started with.  Alot of those hybrids are pretty unstable and you don't get what you started with in a second generation plant.

Edited by Weave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It didn't come out of my garden but we got a big paper bag full of a variety of hot peppers dirt cheap.  Nothing too wild.  Jalapenos are about the hottest thing in the bag. Majority of them appear to be hot Hungarian peppers. This evening I chopped the whole bag up into pepper rings and made them into pickles.  Got a bunch of jars of pickled hot pepper rings cooling down on the counter now.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2020 at 7:44 PM, Weave said:

It didn't come out of my garden but we got a big paper bag full of a variety of hot peppers dirt cheap.  Nothing too wild.  Jalapenos are about the hottest thing in the bag. Majority of them appear to be hot Hungarian peppers. This evening I chopped the whole bag up into pepper rings and made them into pickles.  Got a bunch of jars of pickled hot pepper rings cooling down on the counter now.

I had a ton of habanero last year that I sliced and dehydrated. Made some crushed pepper for everyone and they are great to toss into a sauce, stew or soup. They reconstitute well. 
 

Today was the day to clear the gardens of squash and watermelon. I gave that big honker from up thread away to a family with a lot of kids. These are more my size. 
 

Those weird striped hybrids I showed you guys have mostly ripened. We have eaten a few, they’re delicious. We’re using them as festive displays now but will eventually store them with the rest. Have one in the oven now for a pie. I’m saving the seeds, they were isolated enough that I hope to get them next year. Totaled about 20 of them from two plants. BTW, the box is full of Adirondack Blue potatoes. There’s also a big box of popcorn as well. I’m set for winter if the food supply chain crumbles.

460DC388-83EA-4D86-B033-60ED3E712F02.jpeg

8F384E94-1D7D-42F2-88FC-50418C19BB22.jpeg

93F4888C-FD15-4809-BC88-8EDC5E550906.jpeg

62035430-DB73-4A83-A6C3-0197892A64D1.jpeg

50649304-169B-469B-8956-20C7EEB3A667.jpeg

Edited by Ogre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...