Interesting Idea for the PP Next Year

Brawndo

Valid point, which also made me remember that he's not great at the one-timer, so that might not actually be an issue. And Jack's one-timer missed the net a lot last year, so maybe we would be better of emphasizing his playmaking and wrister instead.

This is exactly what I’m thinking. Eichel is less Stamkos on the PP and more Getzlaf.

Icing a guy’s feet to the top of the circle and feeding him for one-timers works well when you’ve got a one-trick pony like Laine in that spot, but I prefer the puck on Jack’s stick for longer periods with the play itself funneling through him.

Edited by Thorny

This is exactly what I’m thinking. Eichel is less Stamkos on the PP and more Getzlaf.

Icing a guy’s feet to the top of the circle and feeding him for one-timers works well when you’ve got a one-trick pony like Laine in that spot, but I prefer the puck on Jack’s stick for longer periods with the play itself funneling through him.

See, I don't think having Jack in his off wing necessitates constantly teeing him up for one timers. It's a tactical choice. He can be in the same spot and utilize his passing more, while still keeping the option for the shot. Watch the Flyers and how Giroux handles the exact same position.

Moving him to the other side removed the one timer option, and I don't like doing that.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

See, I don't think having Jack in his off wing necessitates constantly teeing him up for one timers. It's a tactical choice. He can be in the same spot and utilize his passing more, while still keeping the option for the shot. Watch the Flyers and how Giroux handles the exact same position.

Moving him to the other side removed the one timer option, and I don't like doing that.

That’s true too.

I’m probably still biased due to my first impression of Jack’s PP ability coming from witnessing him in the World Championships the spring before we drafted him, where he was playing on the right boards on the PP and looked damn good doing so.

I'd keep PP1 as is and add Dahlin and Casey to PP2 and that should really help them improve

PP2 was almost always terrible

Completely agree with both of you. 

Jack’s position got me thinking about McDavid’s position on the PP. I think he plays a similar role to Jack, on his off-wing half wall. But obviously with less of an emphasis on one-timers. And I tend to see McDavid creep up closer to the goal line than Jack usually stays.

Anyways, McDavid was something like 60th in PPP last year. Everyone on our PP1 outscored him. Imagine if he added another 10-15 points with the man advantage. Sheesh!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.