Jbot so far?

GASabresIUFAN

Thumbs Up or Down  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with the job Jbot's done so far

• Yes - Thumbs up
    • No - Thumbs down
    • Not sure
  2. 2. Are you more or less optimistic about next season?

• I already miss TM & DD and think the Sabres are going in the wrong direction
    • The Sabres are better, but not enough to be a playoff contender
    • The Sabres should contend for a playoff spot
  3. 3. What should be the official Sabrespace designation for GM Jason Botterill?

• Jbot or similar
    • JB
    • JBotto
    • The Man
    • JazzyB
    • Not TM
    • GMJB
    • Other

That's the whole analysis right there.  Whether the review is optimistic or pessimistic, it still comes right back to this single sentence.

Agreed. 

If we apply the same thing to Jbot his first draft looks mediocre. Mittlestadt looks awesome but then there is some ???? after that

Ok fair enough. I'm not as meticulous or detailed on these things as some of you so it's not all on Murray. I just think he did a piss poor job but it doesn't matter he's gone.  I guess I just center my thought on the team when he arrived was called a bad team with huge potential and a stocked draft cupboard. 3 Years later a bad team and the cupboard is called bare by NHL insiders and experts. Go figure. 

I hope Housley can make Guhle great. 

Ok fair enough. I'm not as meticulous or detailed on these things as some of you so it's not all on Murray. I just think he did a piss poor job but it doesn't matter he's gone.  I guess I just center my thought on the team when he arrived was called a bad team with huge potential and a stocked draft cupboard. 3 Years later a bad team and the cupboard is called bare by NHL insiders and experts. Go figure. 

If they are calling the cupboard bare they aren't paying attention. One of the reasons the Sabres prospect pool looks more bare than some other teams is simple, Eichel, Reinhart, Risto are all guys who could still be prospects and aren't. They are NHL regulars. The disadvantage the Sabres are overcoming right now is prospect depth. Part of that is Murray's fault. There is a reason I added Brock Boeser to that list even though we never drafted him. Murray traded a ton of picks away in the deepest draft in a decade. I hated that move then and I like it less now. Murray I care less for as time passes. I hate Bylsma's coaching so that plays a part. 

This team still has huge potential. Jack Eichel is almost and unknown at this point. 60 games coming off a bad hockey injury in his sophomore season playing a system he hated and kid still put up numbers. Nylander stuggled in the AHL but then most 18yr olds struggle playing men. He looks jacked. Mittelstadt isn't human and although he is stocky, after a year of a college level weight training program some of that chunk is going to be muscle and that will just make him even deadlier on the rush. Other guys we will have to see but the good news is that we are pulling out of the tank and more into the building part of this entire process. I'd say we are 2-3 years away from making a ton of noise. 

Edited by LGR4GM

I don't think our cupboard is being called bare. Plenty of nice prospects within. Not to mention, when including all 22 and unders, we add Eichel, Reinhart, and Ristolainen to the list. Also, we weren't seen as a team with huge potential until AFTER Murray had taken over, and after he had drafted those 2 2nd overall centres.

If they are calling the cupboard bare they aren't paying attention. One of the reasons the Sabres prospect pool looks more bare than some other teams is simple, Eichel, Reinhart, Risto are all guys who could still be prospects and aren't. They are NHL regulars. The disadvantage the Sabres are overcoming right now is prospect depth. Part of that is Murray's fault. There is a reason I added Brock Boeser to that list even though we never drafted him. Murray traded a ton of picks away in the deepest draft in a decade. I hated that move then and I like it less now. Murray I care less for as time passes. I hate Bylsma's coaching so that plays a part. 

This team still has huge potential. Jack Eichel is almost and unknown at this point. 60 games coming off a bad hockey injury in his sophomore season playing a system he hated and kid still put up numbers. Nylander stuggled in the AHL but then most 18yr olds struggle playing men. He looks jacked. Mittelstadt isn't human and although he is stocky, after a year of a college level weight training program some of that chunk is going to be muscle and that will just make him even deadlier on the rush. Other guys we will have to see but the good news is that we are pulling out of the tank and more into the building part of this entire process. I'd say we are 2-3 years away from making a ton of noise. 

That's a pretty excellent take right there.

• 3 weeks later...

Kevin Devine demoted all the way from Director of Player Personnel to Amateur Scout.  I am somewhat amazed that he's managed to survive two GM changes.

I'm surprised he didn't quit. I will always respect Devine for getting Risto. That said I think the new direction of the scouting staff can be a good thing. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.