Brian Campbell

PTS

I remember in years past listening to two-year-olds in attendance rip on Campbell. Tonight, all throughout the game you kept hearing fans compliment him on his play.

Not only did he set up the first and then the tying goal. His hit on Spezza made Ottawa miss the empty net.

Brian Campbell has turned from our favorite whipping boy to one solid player.

Campbell's assist on the game winner was fantastic. Having the wherewithal to fake two shots, then have the presence of mind to see Briere camped to the side of the net was great.

How much more can you say about that play? He did everything that Alexi Zhitnik never would have done... Soupy was agressive, creative, patient and pinpoint on his pass to Briere. Don't you have the feeling that Zhitnik might have faked the first defender then tossed a soft wrister towards the crowd in front of Emery, or worse, lined up a slap shot that would have rang straight off the glass?

PTS I'm glad you mentioned his hit on Spezza...it kept our hopes alive.

Overall I thought the Sabres did a pretty solid job in their own end. There were a few plays by our defense that I didn't like, but those were mainly made in transition. Obviously, Kalinin HAS to clear the zone instead of fumbling it away, but McKee made an awful backhanded pass that was nearly intercepted as well, late in the 3rd. That being said, I thought the team in general did a much better job winning battles deep in their own zone and clearing the zone rather quickly. As opposed to some games last week, the Sens weren't able to simply hold posession on offense for minutes at a time. They didn't play a perfect game, but Marty had clear looks at most shots (especially on the PP), and the forwards did a much better job picking up men in transition.

Campbell's assist on the game winner was fantastic. Having the wherewithal to fake two shots, then have the presence of mind to see Briere camped to the side of the net was great.

How much more can you say about that play? He did everything that Alexi Zhitnik never would have done... Soupy was agressive, creative, patient and pinpoint on his pass to Briere. Don't you have the feeling that Zhitnik might have faked the first defender then tossed a soft wrister towards the crowd in front of Emery, or worse, lined up a slap shot that would have rang straight off the glass?

PTS I'm glad you mentioned his hit on Spezza...it kept our hopes alive.

Overall I thought the Sabres did a pretty solid job in their own end. There were a few plays by our defense that I didn't like, but those were mainly made in transition. Obviously, Kalinin HAS to clear the zone instead of fumbling it away, but McKee made an awful backhanded pass that was nearly intercepted as well, late in the 3rd. That being said, I thought the team in general did a much better job winning battles deep in their own zone and clearing the zone rather quickly. As opposed to some games last week, the Sens weren't able to simply hold posession on offense for minutes at a time. They didn't play a perfect game, but Marty had clear looks at most shots (especially on the PP), and the forwards did a much better job picking up men in transition.

I think he had a couple great shot blocks too.

I am a frequent basher of Campbell because of his defensive zone play and I think his offensive contributions often consist of just passing the puck around the perimeter on the PP, but the patience he showed on the game tying goal last night by going around the two players who dropped down to block his shot was just friggin' outstanding.

Yep, he sprawled on the ice in the third period to the left of Marty, turned his head away from the Senator and blocked a pass (or maybe a shot) on an odd-man rush. But even that play drives you crazy. If he can do it one night, why not 50 other times in a season? Let's not be so fickle. We've seen guys like Campbell many times over the years. He'll get a bee in his bonnet and play out of his mind for one game, then fall back. Soupy's a -256 for a reason.

Not only did he set up the first and then the tying goal. His hit on Spezza made Ottawa miss the empty net.

PTS -- glad you pointed that hit out. It was quite a lick and it saved the game -- not to mention the benefit of rattling Spezza's fillings. Another great play Campbell made was on Max's goal, when he skated the puck up the ice, cut to the left, got hooked on the arm along the boards, drew the penalty, but instead of stopping or giving up because of the hook, pulled his arm forward and quite literally muscled the stick out of the ottawa player's hands. He then made the sweet drop pass on the tape to Max for the goal. Just an amazing play, and one that showed guts and determination.

Soupy has made huge strides this year (and I wanted to get rid of him until about a month into this season). He skates the puck up with so much confidence and speed. He's also become much better in his own zone. He's still spottier than I'd like on D, but that will get better over time. He's delivered some big-time hits this year. He also has a great shot from the point.

He's not as good as Phil Housley was, but I can't think of another defenseman we've had with comparable offensive skills. He's significantly better offensively than Zhitnik was.

Go Sabres.

Archived