The 2012 NHL Draft; Worst one in the last Decade?

GASabresIUFAN

I remember heading into the draft how excited everyone was about the 3 Russians Yakupov, Galchenyuk and Girgorenko.  Everyone got so excited about Regier's coup of getting Grigorenko at 12 and then brilliantly moving up to grab Girgensons at 14.  

Now 4 years later, this draft really looks like a pretty mediocre overall.  No. 1 Yakupov just got dumped for a bag of pucks.  No. 4 overall Griffin Reinhart is with his second organization in looks to be no. 10 on Edm's depth chart at best.  In addition to Reinhart (37g), 3 other top 13 picks haven't even played a full season in the NHL (No. 8 Pouliot, 56g, No. 10 Koekkoek, 12g, and No. 13 Faksa, 45g).  The last 3rd of the 1st rd has produced 2 players (Maatta and Pearson), but the rest have barely if at all stepped on an NHL ice.  Historically this number should be closer to 6 or 7 players.

This isn't to say the draft hasn't produced some really good players.  Filip Forsberg looks like he should have gone 1st or 2nd overall with Galchenyuk.  Maatta, Trouba, Reilly and especially Lindholm look like good to excellent 1st rd D.  Other D drafted later like McCabe, and especially Parayko and Gostisbehere look like future NHL All-stars.  Also goalies like Andersen and Vasilevskiy have made an impact.

However, every time I look at this draft, so many 1st rd picks have changed organizations or have fallen to lesser roles.  For example Girgensons looks like he'll start the season as the Sabres 4th line center.  Wilson is a 3rd/4th line guy in Washington.

Also after the 3rd rd gems of Gostisbehere (78th), Parayko (86) and Andersen (87), there really haven't been any standouts in the later rounds. (* Note:  All 3 were still availalbe when Regier drafted Kea (73) who can barely play 4th line minutes in the AHL).  Only goalies Ullmark and Hellebuyck have made an impact.  

Maybe I'm blowing off some steam because I hoped this draft would be a cornerstone of the rebuild for the Sabres and it hasn't worked out.  Maybe I just hate Regier.   However, when I look objectively at the drafts that immediately proceeded it, this one just doesn't stack up.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.