Do the Sabres need any more veterans?

Doohickie

Yes, I know the Sabres would still like to acquire a top pair Dman, but realistically, when I hear about potential deals, I am most interested in acquiring youthful players.  From here on out I like to think the veterans we already have are enough to provide leadership, and further acquisitions will be part of the core going forward- you know, players that could be part of a winning tradition through the next 5 years at least.

If the Sabres land Franson, fine.  But he's already arguable too old to be part of the core going forward (and I think most on the board agree since no one project him getting longer than a two year deal.

Don't put your trust in anyone over 25.  ;)

Every team needs a core of veterans. As much as it may not sound enticing to have a handful of mid 30's on the team, I think it's important in the development of every team. I wouldn't mind if Murray picked up one or two more over the hill guys.

Where are they going to put them, though? On offense we already have Moulson, Gionta, Legwand, and McCormick as long time (over 30) veterans and Kane, Ennis, O'Reilly, McGinn, Girgensons, and Foligno as younger veterans with multiple years of pro experience along with younger guys like Eichel, Reinhart, Larsson, and Deslauriers who need spots in the lineup. On defense we have Colaiacovo and Gorges as long time (over 30) veterans with younger veterans in Bogosian and Weber, and two younger guys in Ristolainen and Psysk who need spots in the lineup. We're also set in goal for the season with Lehner and Johnson.

I think this team has a great mix of veterans, young veterans, and green players. I'm perfectly fine with upgrading, especially over guys like Colaiacovo, Legwand, or Johnson but I wouldn't necessarily look to bring in older veterans just because they are veterans.

Yes, I know the Sabres would still like to acquire a top pair Dman, but realistically, when I hear about potential deals, I am most interested in acquiring youthful players.  From here on out I like to think the veterans we already have are enough to provide leadership, and further acquisitions will be part of the core going forward- you know, players that could be part of a winning tradition through the next 5 years at least.

If the Sabres land Franson, fine.  But he's already arguable too old to be part of the core going forward (and I think most on the board agree since no one project him getting longer than a two year deal.

Don't put your trust in anyone over 25.  ;)

Would still like to see a true top line RW and even moreso would like to see 1 more true top 4 vet brought in. Would allow Pysyk to start the year on the 3rd pairing and would probably allow Gorges to end the year on the 3rd pairing. (Assumes Pysyk grows into a top 4 role - quite likely, and they stay relatively injury free.)

Doubt a kid would be brought in for either role at this point, so .... 2 please. :)

As to a forward not remaining w/ the new new core, hopefully Fasching (or someone else) would backfill into the top 2 winger role. And if Ennis is 2nd line w/ Moulson this year, they've got some scoring power in the top 6 (and if stays supplanted, possibly top 9 in a year or 2).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.