Shipping Wings

Seannie34

I grew up in a household where my father only would buy plain wings (I know, I know....) and there is absolutely a difference in the quality of the base wing between pizza places. The method may be the same, but the execution is not.

I think execution thing is a bit overblown.  I agree you can have bad wings.  90% of the time it's a simple matter of undercooking them. The sauce? That's a matter of taste.  Personally I like the classic melted margarine and Franks' hot sauce. Some chunky blue cheese dressing and you are all set.  My point is shipping wings is a giant waste of money when anyone with a fryer can make a decent wing.

If you want to put in the time, Baking them at a low temp till half done, then frying to finish, makes a more tender wing.

You cook it in oil properly, period.

Few things in this world that are sadder than an undercooked wing.

That's a given. But I'm willing to bet a perfectly cooked wing spending a day or two in a shipping carton is going to be better that a fresh wing you fry yourself.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I think execution thing is a bit overblown.  I agree you can have bad wings.  90% of the time it's a simple matter of undercooking them. The sauce? That's a matter of taste.  Personally I like the classic melted margarine and Franks' hot sauce. Some chunky blue cheese dressing and you are all set.  My point is shipping wings is a giant waste of money when anyone with a fryer can make a decent wing.

If you want to put in the time, Baking them at a low temp till half done, then frying to finish, makes a more tender wing.

That's a given. But I'm willing to bet a perfectly cooked wing spending a day or two in a shipping carton is going to be better that a fresh wing you fry yourself.

Absolutely not. Because the wings I make are d*mn near perfect. ;)

You cook it in oil properly, period.

Few things in this world that are sadder than an undercooked wing.

par boil or at least defrost thoroughly and an iron cast pot does trick if you dont have fryer, but seriously sauce is key.

Franks plus half cup red wine vinegar for tanginess, tabasco for heat, also i get dried little hot chilli pepper and put in vinegar couple weeks before making sauce, then 1/2 stick butter per 8 ounces of sauce, done! Microwave sauce and stir butter in

Edited by Icehole

par boil or at least defrost thoroughly and an iron cast pot does trick if you dont have fryer, but seriously sauce is key.

Franks plus half cup red wine vinegar for tanginess, tabasco for heat, also i get dried little hot chilli pepper and put in vinegar couple weeks before making sauce, then 1/2 stick butter per 8 ounces of sauce, done! Microwave sauce and stir butter in

Not arguing, everybody's got their own tastes, but IMHO there's no need for vinegar to be added. It's the 2nd ingredient in Frank's and 1st in Tabasco.

If you cut back on your butter, they'll still be hot/tangy w/out extra vinegar.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.