[OT] Near miss asteroid

Weave

An asteroid 300 yards wide is passing relatively close by the earth in about 45 minutes.

http://www.kcentv.com/story/24746253/huge-asteroid-to-fly-safely-by-earth-monday-watch-it-live

Near-Earth asteroid 2000 EM26 poses no threat of actually hitting the planet, but the online Slooh Space Camera will track the asteroid as it passes by Earth on Monday. The live Slooh webcast will start at 9 p.m. ET (0200 Feb. 18 GMT), and you can also watch the webcast directly through the Slooh website.

you can view it pass by on the slooh space cam when it goes by.

Stream is here. http://live.slooh.com/

I had to refresh the page to get the feed to work the first time. And it's still supposed to be about 2 million miles out. The interesting thing is that its classified as "potentially dangerous" and they have lost sight of it a while back, so it hasn't been seen in a while. It'll be a little more concerning if they don't see it where its supposed to be tonight.

Working for me. They have a couple of scientists on right now. Sort of an interview. I'm hoping we'll get to see some imagery opf the pass. The telescope they planned to use for the broadcast is down due to snow and ice.

Finally got it, thanks.

I had to refresh the page to get the feed to work the first time. And it's still supposed to be about 2 million miles out. The interesting thing is that its classified as "potentially dangerous" and they have lost sight of it a while back, so it hasn't been seen in a while. It'll be a little more concerning if they don't see it where its supposed to be tonight.

Ya know it's situations like that which makes it really difficult for me to take them seriously when you see reports come out that they have found a planet 75,000,000 light years away that has the atmosphere of Earth and an average temperature of 71°.

Well, that was anticlimactic.

Tonight they were hoping to re-find an asteroid that was initially discovered over a decade ago but hasn't been seen since. they were aiming their telescopes based on where they thought it should be.

I guess it looks like there is going to have to be some analysis of the images taken to determine if they've reacquired it.

8.8 Lunar Distances, if that was the closest approach, is still a significant distance and nothing to lose sleep over for certain. That's over 2.1 million miles.distant. To put it in perspective, if the Earth is a globe 1 foot in diameter, then the asteroid was 265 ft away, or almost the length of a football field.

The concern would be future passes of the same asteroid, which might be closer.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.