Everyone take a deep breath

hopeleslyobvious

I've been a bit disappointed. We have a good group of posters here, but everyone is getting caught up in the doom and gloom. Has the team played awful over the last 6 games? Yes. Has Ryan Miller been terrible since the break? Absolutely. Am I worried about the team? You bet I am. But I am looking at this from a completely different angle. Up until this point things have been really easy for the Sabres. Well, guess what, they aren't any more.

It's really easy to look at this team and say they are a fluke, and they have no chance. Critics around the league have been saying it all year. Every time this team has stumbled, the rest of the league said, "see, that's the real Sabres." But I disagree. When this team is on top of their game, they are really something special.

This slump may be awful to watch, but it may do something to this team. If they are able to turn it around, it will give them momentum heading into the playoffs. More importantly, it will make them a stronger team. A stronger team that is much more difficult to rattle in the playoffs.

They have until April 18th to turn this around. At some time between now and then, things are going to start to click, and they are going to start to look like the Sabres again. And they will be even tougher to beat because they fought their way out of this slump.

I agree with most of this. I am getting sick of people blaming Miller for this, team defense is the real problem.

What's wrong with a defense that let's Jagr go free for multiple one-timers? With that said, it isn't just the defensemen, either.

I agree with most of this. I am getting sick of people blaming Miller for this, team defense is the real problem.

It's a combination of both. Miller is just letting in too many goals...period. If he wants to be an elite goaltended, he has to make the big save.

There are not many elite goalies around in the NHL. There are a ton of average and above average goalies, guys who can shut-out a high octane offense one day and lose to the Penguins the next. Guys who can win 13 in a row, and then lose 8 in a row. Guys who can save 5 breakaways in a row one game, but allow the game-winner on a weak short-side shot.

Elite goalies the last 10 years?

Hasek, Brodeur, Roy, Belfour (not any more of course). Looks like Turco and Kiprusoff have joined the list.

Guys like Khabibulin, Luongo and Giguere are a grade lower.

After that, there is a whole bunch of Millers and Birons. Rolosons and Cloutiers. Aebishers and Raycrofts. Gerbers and Lundqvists? Those two may be the real deal, it's still too early to say.

The Sabres simply do not have an elite goalie. Period. Every defense has holes in it, especially in todays NHL. I think the Sabres D does a pretty good job, usually, of getting the puck and moving out of the zone. The biggest problem is careless turn-overs by the offense in the neutral and offensive zone.

This slump may be awful to watch, but it may do something to this team. If they are able to turn it around, it will give them momentum heading into the playoffs. More importantly, it will make them a stronger team. A stronger team that is much more difficult to rattle in the playoffs.

They have until April 18th to turn this around. At some time between now and then, things are going to start to click, and they are going to start to look like the Sabres again. And they will be even tougher to beat because they fought their way out of this slump.

Thank you hopeless. This team was the best in the league for a 50 game stretch. That's no fluke. We're going through a rough stretch which will wake them up and make them that much better come playoff time.

There are not many elite goalies around in the NHL. There are a ton of average and above average goalies, guys who can shut-out a high octane offense one day and lose to the Penguins the next. Guys who can win 13 in a row, and then lose 8 in a row. Guys who can save 5 breakaways in a row one game, but allow the game-winner on a weak short-side shot.

Elite goalies the last 10 years?

Hasek, Brodeur, Roy, Belfour (not any more of course). Looks like Turco and Kiprusoff have joined the list.

Guys like Khabibulin, Luongo and Giguere are a grade lower.

After that, there is a whole bunch of Millers and Birons. Rolosons and Cloutiers. Aebishers and Raycrofts. Gerbers and Lundqvists? Those two may be the real deal, it's still too early to say.

The Sabres simply do not have an elite goalie. Period. Every defense has holes in it, especially in todays NHL. I think the Sabres D does a pretty good job, usually, of getting the puck and moving out of the zone. The biggest problem is careless turn-overs by the offense in the neutral and offensive zone.

Alright, I was a little ahead of myself by saying he is one of the elites. I think Lundqvist is well on his way (if he's not there already) to being an elite goalie. And Miller has shown he has the talent to become an elite goaltender. While he is not near the level of anyone on your elite list yet, when he is on, he has the ability to dominate a game, and plays his best at key points of the game. I think his lack of confidence is keeping him from getting there. If he can get back on top of his game, he has the ability to dominate a playoff series.

With that being said I think he is a higher caliber goalie than Biron, Roloson, Cloutier, Aebisher and Raycroft. Despite playing absolutely terribly lately, I believe he still has better numbers than any of the average goaltenders on your list.

"NO, I WILL NOT TAKE A DEEP BREATH, NO ONE CAN MAKE ME TAKE A DEEP BREATH!"

That quote should be read in the voice stylings of one George Costanza in the episode where he and Jerry are mistaken for homosexuals and George gets upset with Jerry in the coffee shop.

What's wrong with a defense that let's Jagr go free for multiple one-timers? With that said, it isn't just the defensemen, either.

It is not "just the defensemen" but they are the leading candidate for blame. I shook my head at the trade deadline and I still am shaking my head. How Darcy passed on the opportunity to upgrade our D is beyond me....

Yes, I agree. Not getting ahead of ourselves is the best thing to do. They have to have some big time adversity before the playoffs or how will they know how to deal with it?

While this skid has not been very pleasant, if Lindy and the leaders use it wisely to the benefit of the team, it could be a reminder when they get to the playoffs.

In the mean time everyone, I would just like to brighten up your day with these links. Press pause to let it load for a bit, but if you have really slow internet, it may take a bit longer.

Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziHfRsDlLr4...tawa%20senators

Yes, I agree. Not getting ahead of ourselves is the best thing to do. They have to have some big time adversity before the playoffs or how will they know how to deal with it?

While this skid has not been very pleasant, if Lindy and the leaders use it wisely to the benefit of the team, it could be a reminder when they get to the playoffs.

In the mean time everyone, I would just like to brighten up your day with these links. Press pause to let it load for a bit, but if you have really slow internet, it may take a bit longer.

Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziHfRsDlLr4...tawa%20senators

Oooh, Monkeygirl, that first one about playing through the pain just gave me chills. Still got 'em as I'm typing this. Now I'm all fired up!!! Yeaaaahhhhhhhhh!

Archived