GDT: Florida at Buffalo 1-9-14 at 7:00 PM EST

26CornerBlitz

There actually has been something done on the effects of goaltender height on performance. Not trying to say this is definitive, but it's at least something to back up what Dark (and others) are saying. Should be the top link on page 2 of the following search:

https://www.google.c...save percentage

In addition to the height point, I think the best argument "against" Enroth is he simply hasn't played enough for us to have a clue if his performance is sustainable (and that's without getting into whether being a starters vs. a backup influences predictability). http://www.sbnation....nce-predictions This article gets into it a bit with a cool illustration in the middle to show why we need more data on Enroth. In order to be reasonably confident in a goaltender's actual talent level we want to see around 3000 even strength shots faced, and preferably more like 5000 (even then there's a pretty wide range of expected performance). Enroth hasn't even gotten to 2000 total shots (that's including special teams) on his career yet.

Overall I think Enroth has played very well in his time here and I think he deserves a chance to start should Miller be dealt or leave in free agency, but I'm definitely not comfortable with him being *the* plan to replace Miller. Bringing in some competition would be good, and I don't think that's a particularly controversial opinion.

In the last 5 games, the Sabres have scored 5 goals. Not going to win many games with that kind of offensive output. Miller and Enroth have a collective 2.0 GAA regulation over those 5 games. That's fine goal tending, it's the offense that stinks.

Oh, and wasn't that thrilling to see the Sabres on PP last night?- 28th worst PP against the 29th worst PK team. Riveting! It was like a Bizarro-world version of the Irresistible force meets the immovable object. :lol:

Yes, Enroth is on the verge of a Vezina. <_<

There is NO possibility that the Sabres output dropping w/ Jhonas in net is their expectation that he can't cover their back. <_<

You could say the same about every backup since Biron and still be right on.

Yes, Enroth is on the verge of a Vezina. <_<

There is NO possibility that the Sabres output dropping w/ Jhonas in net is their expectation that he can't cover their back. <_<

I find it difficulty to believe that this group can drop it down a notch when Enroth is in net when they need every bit of effort to just to score the goal + a game they do score.

It is very possible that any difference in goal production may be the direct result of Enroth and not the 18 skaters in front of him. Enroth plays a different style than Miller, from playing the puck, the placement of rebounds and decisions when to hold the puck for a whistle. Goalies may be similar, none are exactly the same.

I find it difficulty to believe that this group can drop it down a notch when Enroth is in net when they need every bit of effort to just to score the goal + a game they do score.

It is very possible that any difference in goal production may be the direct result of Enroth and not the 18 skaters in front of him. Enroth plays a different style than Miller, from playing the puck, the placement of rebounds and decisions when to hold the puck for a whistle. Goalies may be similar, none are exactly the same.

And I think there's some merit to how comfortable players are with a goalie. If you're familiar with a goalie you should know what he's going to do before he does it. The players know where Miller is kicking rebounds, they know when and how he's going to handle the puck, etc. Enroth may be suffering from a lack of real game familiarity with his teammates.

I also wonder if this is why you rarely see teams pick up a new goalie at the trade deadline. Too late in the season to get comfortable?

And I think there's some merit to how comfortable players are with a goalie. If you're familiar with a goalie you should know what he's going to do before he does it. The players know where Miller is kicking rebounds, they know when and how he's going to handle the puck, etc. Enroth may be suffering from a lack of real game familiarity with his teammates.

I also wonder if this is why you rarely see teams pick up a new goalie at the trade deadline. Too late in the season to get comfortable?

You see it in other sports. Even CY Young pitchers have a favored catcher. Backup QB's often favor those receivers they see most in practice, It's not uncommon.

Archived