You know what the Sabres need?

PASabreFan

Seriously, remember when the Sabres took a long walk before Game 1 of the first round against Ottawa in 99? They went to the Vietnam Memorial in the playoffs in 98 against Washington, I think. Roli and teammates took a stroll before game 1 of the ECF against Toronto too. From time to time, Lindy has had the perfect answer for a nervous team. Maybe he should pull something out of his hat again. A walk in Central Park? A visit to Coney Island? The zoo? A movie? It's so clear to me that this team is tighter than Tom Thumb's ass. They need to lighten up. The speculation was that the team wouldn't skate today in NY but would have team meetings and video sessions at the hotel. I don't think that's the answer right now. Thoughts?

i bet the locker room is a friggin mess right now...maybe lindy needs to take a few more says off? i bet he is completely distracted and just adding to the problem...and i don't blame him one bit.

i think darcy should tell him to go away for two weeks, meanwhile these guys can grow some testicles and start playing the way they were taught.

Teams are challenging the puck more, not giving the Sabres as much time to set up. Word got out that a.) the Sabres power play is really good and/or b.) you can exploit Ruff's use of a fourth forward and get some good chances to score a shorthanded goal. Now the coaches have to figure out how to counteract what the penalty killers are doing. I guess I'm a purist. I say get a little more conservative. I have never bought the idea that letting it all hang out on the power play, even if we give up a ton of shorthanded goals, is worth it. The playoffs are a different game. Shorthanded goals will just kill you in the postseason. I am basing that statement on the idea that the new NHL playoffs are going to look a lot like the old NHL playoffs, which, by the way, everyone loved!

Teams are challenging the puck more, not giving the Sabres as much time to set up. Word got out that a.) the Sabres power play is really good and/or b.) you can exploit Ruff's use of a fourth forward and get some good chances to score a shorthanded goal. Now the coaches have to figure out how to counteract what the penalty killers are doing. I guess I'm a purist. I say get a little more conservative. I have never bought the idea that letting it all hang out on the power play, even if we give up a ton of shorthanded goals, is worth it. The playoffs are a different game. Shorthanded goals will just kill you in the postseason. I am basing that statement on the idea that the new NHL playoffs are going to look a lot like the old NHL playoffs, which, by the way, everyone loved!

i could not agree more...the sabres power play reminds me of the the bills defense from '04: effective, but really just smoke and mirrors at it's essence! once teams figured out jerry gray's blitz scheme could be beaten by recognizing it and running straight at it, we were screwed. likewise, i thought it was just a matter of time before the sabres' power play was "solved" by the rest of the league. problem is, like the bills, the sabres' roster lacks the STAR POWER to really do much of anything different.

:(

lol....i guess all that's missing from this post is a final proclaimation oF DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMM!!! :P

i could not agree more...the sabres power play reminds me of the the bills defense from '04: effective, but really just smoke and mirrors at it's essence! once teams figured out jerry gray's blitz scheme could be beaten by recognizing it and running straight at it, we were screwed. likewise, i thought it was just a matter of time before the sabres' power play was "solved" by the rest of the league. problem is, like the bills, the sabres' roster lacks the STAR POWER to really do much of anything different.

:(

lol....i guess all that's missing from this post is a final proclaimation oF DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMM!!! :P

I couldn't disagree more with your Bills analogy. The Sabres in general are in a slump and their power play has shown this season that it is downright deadly on a consistent basis.

The Bills defense in 2004 was alot of hoopla and ego that, consistently, never rose to the occasion when the game was on the line.

PA, I think its a good idea to take the boys out and get their minds off of hockey for an afternoon or whatever. That game in Ottawa really shook their confidence.

Seriously, remember when the Sabres took a long walk before Game 1 of the first round against Ottawa in 99? They went to the Vietnam Memorial in the playoffs in 98 against Washington, I think. Roli and teammates took a stroll before game 1 of the ECF against Toronto too. From time to time, Lindy has had the perfect answer for a nervous team. Maybe he should pull something out of his hat again. A walk in Central Park? A visit to Coney Island? The zoo? A movie? It's so clear to me that this team is tighter than Tom Thumb's ass. They need to lighten up. The speculation was that the team wouldn't skate today in NY but would have team meetings and video sessions at the hotel. I don't think that's the answer right now. Thoughts?

A team trip to the Canadien ballet couldn't hurt? ;)

Yeah, we'll teach him a lesson for throwing a legal hip check! Maybe the Sabres should start playing the nastier brand of hockey you need to play this time of year. My first impression of this team after seeing my first couple of games since early in the season is that this is a very soft team.

This is my first time posting. I usually just read the comments but I had to reply to this post after being in Boston for the game Saturday night. I grew up in WNY and am a lifelong Sabres Fan, but have lived in CT for many years and decided to take the family to the game Saturday. We got there when the doors opened at 6:00 because the kids wanted to be there when the players skated out for the warm-up. As we were walking down the corridor we heard laughing and yelling from an offshoot of the corridor on our right. It turns out it was a group of the Sabres standing in a circle, playing around with a soccer ball. Biron, Roy, Vanek, Afinogenov, Campbell, and Tallinder were all there having a great time. As a player was eliminated from the game they had going he would step off to the side, so my 10 year old daughter who broke her wrist playing hockey a few weeks ago, had her cast signed by Roy and Max while they were out of the game. At about 6:15 or 6:20 the game ended, the players all went into the locker room, and they were on the ice by 6:30. I found it so ironic because I had always pictured the team to be sitting in the locker room, focusing on the game that close to game time and here these guys were totally loose, relaxed and having fun playing a game with a soccer ball.

This is my first time posting. I usually just read the comments but I had to reply to this post after being in Boston for the game Saturday night. I grew up in WNY and am a lifelong Sabres Fan, but have lived in CT for many years and decided to take the family to the game Saturday. We got there when the doors opened at 6:00 because the kids wanted to be there when the players skated out for the warm-up. As we were walking down the corridor we heard laughing and yelling from an offshoot of the corridor on our right. It turns out it was a group of the Sabres standing in a circle, playing around with a soccer ball. Biron, Roy, Vanek, Afinogenov, Campbell, and Tallinder were all there having a great time. As a player was eliminated from the game they had going he would step off to the side, so my 10 year old daughter who broke her wrist playing hockey a few weeks ago, had her cast signed by Roy and Max while they were out of the game. At about 6:15 or 6:20 the game ended, the players all went into the locker room, and they were on the ice by 6:30. I found it so ironic because I had always pictured the team to be sitting in the locker room, focusing on the game that close to game time and here these guys were totally loose, relaxed and having fun playing a game with a soccer ball.

Great story. Welcome to the board.

That is a great story. I would imagine that they weren't just messing around, but probably trying to find a good way to loosen up. Don't ask me where (probably The Hockey News), but I have read about a lot of players doing similar things to stretch out before the pre game skate.

Ehh, Im not worried at alll. Rememeber at the begining of the season when the sabres were slumping? They weren't really playing bad hockey they just weren't getting the bounces. Now at the beging of this slump they were just horrible, but lately they have been getting their feet back under them. I'm sure that after a lil while they will get back on their game. They are human just like us, we're totally anticipating the playoffs(were just fans) imagine them, the team, they know they are in and I'm sure they are just wanting to get there w/o anymore injuries and trying to rest themselfs for a hopefully long playoff run.

Archived