Official SabreSpace Charity Wager Thread

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Just going to start this thread and it can fade in and out when relevant. This is to keep track of any friendly charity wagers here. Maybe it will encourage others to back up their internet yapping as well.

What I have on my slate is:

nfreeman has a credit of $30 with me, and we have a double or nothing going on with him winning if the Sabres win a playoff series first or me winning if the Bills win a playoff game or get a bye first. This may not be settled for a decade.

TrueBlue and I just put together: I am putting up $20 on the Rangers winning the Cup this year against his $160. I am also putting up another $20 against his $50 that the Rangers win at least 1 of the next 3 Stanley Cups.

Eleven and I have a $100 wager with Eleven saying the Sabres will win a playoff series this season. If I win the $ goes to the SPCA of Erie Co., if he wins it goes to the Food Bank.

This is a great idea.

I'm going to have to talk with our Imam and see what he thinks. He is a whack-job though and I don't really want to talk to him about anything, or see him for that matter.

The Qur'an forbids gambling, but does say we are supposed to support Charities ... hhhmmm ...

I'll give it some thought and get back to you.

This is a great idea.

I'm going to have to talk with our Imam and see what he thinks. He is a whack-job though and I don't really want to talk to him about anything, or see him for that matter.

The Qur'an forbids gambling, but does say we are supposed to support Charities ... hhhmmm ...

I'll give it some thought and get back to you.

I am not an expert, but Sheikh Mohammed from Dubai is the biggest player in the world in horse racing. He owns a track that there is no gambling at, but everyone in other countries gamble on those races. I think that since it is considered "sport" and all the monies are being distributed, it is not considered gambling in that case. Sort of like the fact you can have office pools for the superbowl, or charities can have 50/50 or gambling tents, but the government is ok with it. Not that they have the final say.

Just think of it as giving to charity. If you donate to the Sabres Foundation, they may give to 20 seperate charities with the money you give. You are just making a pledge to the SabreSpace Foundation and all monies will be given to charity. If someone takes issue with the charity of the other person, then that is valid not to play along.

I am not an expert, but Sheikh Mohammed from Dubai is the biggest player in the world in horse racing. He owns a track that there is no gambling at, but everyone in other countries gamble on those races. I think that since it is considered "sport" and all the monies are being distributed, it is not considered gambling in that case. Sort of like the fact you can have office pools for the superbowl, or charities can have 50/50 or gambling tents, but the government is ok with it. Not that they have the final say.

FWIW, office pools are only kinda-legal, and a lot depends on where you live. I think we're pretty safe here since (I think) the bets are pledges to donate to charity.

Just going to start this thread and it can fade in and out when relevant. This is to keep track of any friendly charity wagers here. Maybe it will encourage others to back up their internet yapping as well.

What I have on my slate is:

nfreeman has a credit of $30 with me, and we have a double or nothing going on with him winning if the Sabres win a playoff series first or me winning if the Bills win a playoff game or get a bye first. This may not be settled for a decade.

TrueBlue and I just put together: I am putting up $20 on the Rangers winning the Cup this year against his $160. I am also putting up another $20 against his $50 that the Rangers win at least 1 of the next 3 Stanley Cups.

Eleven and I have a $100 wager with Eleven saying the Sabres will win a playoff series this season. If I win the $ goes to the SPCA of Erie Co., if he wins it goes to the Food Bank.

I lost this bet in July.

• 1 month later...

You're all good. Whenever and on our honor. I'd rather us both make a drunken donation after a game 7 win in June.......

There's always next year. How about a "suicide pact"? Next time the Sabres play a game in June, we each donate to the corresponding charity?

Archived