[Sabre Rattling]A Caning in Buffalo

Tom L.

The second period was so bad that I actually turned the game off after the score went to 3-0. As a fan and blogger I just couldn?t take any more. The game against Atlanta had my attentions elsewhere around the same time, so my fuse was short. Normally, I?m a die-hard, sitting through every miserable moment?

The same attitude seems to apply to the posters here... :) BTW, I didn't get a chance to tune in until sometime in the second. Didn't bother checking in again until after the game was over.

I guess I should be happy, the boys almost played 40 minutes of good hockey against a team they are likely to meet if they somehow go deep into the playoffs. This is an improvement over the 10 minutes of hockey they played against Ottawa. But, (Cliche Alert == Orange!) hockey games are 60 (yes, 60) minutes long.

Act like it, boys.

Well said.

Typos. An admission that he turned off the game and wasn't excited in the third. The use of the word "execrable." This blogger is off to a bad start with me. But I'll keep reading I guess. Hey daveb... start a blog!

Funny you mentioned this... we have an immediate opening for an editor. ;) Apply within! :lol:

BTW, what is so bad about the word "execrable"?

Typos. An admission that he turned off the game and wasn't excited in the third. The use of the word "execrable." This blogger is off to a bad start with me. But I'll keep reading I guess. Hey daveb... start a blog!

Yup.... one typo. It'll get fixed.... you and my wife, pointing out everything. I'll attempt to do better.

And, yes, for the record I turned the game back on just after Pominville's goal... but the 'comeback' still didn't get me excited.

Read the blog or not, I'll still use the word 'execrable.'

Ta,

PA, I appreciate the kind words, but I barely have the time to post here as often as I do. Trying to start a blog would definitely be the end of me. Besides, I usually prefer to add to existing topics rather than run my own.

Yup.... one typo. It'll get fixed.... you and my wife, pointing out everything. I'll attempt to do better.

And, yes, for the record I turned the game back on just after Pominville's goal... but the 'comeback' still didn't get me excited.

Read the blog or not, I'll still use the word 'execrable.'

Ta,

One? Sure. Oh yeah, you have a comma splice in the last line, and those should be double quotation marks at the end. :) The writer's job is to communicate clearly with the reader. To use a word that not one hockey fan in 100 is going to understand is just showing off. Did you get a "Word of the Day" calendar for Christmas or something? Sorry, but I'll hold you to a different standard than a regular poster.

One? Sure. Oh yeah, you have a comma splice in the last line, and those should be double quotation marks at the end. :) The writer's job is to communicate clearly with the reader. To use a word that not one hockey fan in 100 is going to understand is just showing off. Did you get a "Word of the Day" calendar for Christmas or something? Sorry, but I'll hold you to a different standard than a regular poster.

No.... I must just have a better vocabulary than your opinion of the average hockey fan and don't feel that in any way I should not use it. The word choice was accurate and communication was achieved. If you don't know the meaning of a word, look it up.. Moreover, playing vocabulary cop is childish, passive-aggresive message board chest-beating. I have no problem with you holding me to a higher standard, but the same goes both ways. Your kind of standard-holding is both unfriendly and unconstructive.

But, seriously, thanks so much for the warm welcome.... way to make friends and influence people.

If you're just yanking my chain, then fine, but if you're serious about the comma splice and the double quotations (neither of which I can find), quote it.

... and lastly, thanks for commenting on the content/analysis of the post. Your effort is appreciated. :o

Ta,

I think I did comment on the content of your post when I pointed out that you said that you turned off the game when they were losing and weren't excited by a comeback that left Sabre fans everywhere breathless. Don't admit that and expect to receive a lot of respect on this, or any other, message board full of fanatics. And don't be so thin-skinned. You're presenting your work here and inviting replies. So I replied. I didn't like the first blog I read. I said I would continue reading it. Maybe I'll like the next one better.

I think I did comment on the content of your post when I pointed out that you said that you turned off the game when they were losing and weren't excited by a comeback that left Sabre fans everywhere breathless. Don't admit that and expect to receive a lot of respect on this, or any other, message board full of fanatics.

Why not? Their comeback didn't leave this Sabres Fan breathless, encouraged, yes.... but not breathless. That's it. Their play in the 2nd period was so maddening that I didn't want to watch... it was, for the record, the first time I've turned them of all year. It's as if you're judging me a some fair-weather noob. Hello? I spend multiple hours of my time per week writing about the Sabres because I love them, trying to fill a void and provide some insight that's both fanish but objective.

And don't be so thin-skinned. You're presenting your work here and inviting replies. So I replied. I didn't like the first blog I read. I said I would continue reading it. Maybe I'll like the next one better.

I hope so, that is the point of writing it. But, I'm not going to let flippant criticism like yours go unreplied to. I hold my message boards and my commenters to a higher standard than that. ;)

That's my hope for these boards and if my blog can help create that, all the better. But, sniping over minor grammar errors won't accomplish that.

Ta,

If I may try my hand at the Two-Step here...

1st, let me apologize for setting up the RSS feed for Tom and making it appear as though he is pimping his blog. I'm the one pimping it and the threads that automatically appear with the RSS feed should posted under the handle "SabresBeat".

Good points were made by both sides... Obviously, impeccable grammar and spelling is always appreciated and certain misspelled words make me cringe, but on the other hand - blogs were made for people to convey their thoughts even if they don't have the New York Times Style Guide on hand. I like the blog setup because "articles" have a more formal expectation on the part of the reader that I believe puts an unnecessary burden on the writer who just wants to put his views out for discussion. Blogs occupy that space between "articles" and message board posts, so while a more relaxed writing style is accepted, it should be of a higher quality than a post on a message board. We'll do our best to make sure the typos and the most egregious grammar errors are held to a minimum.

I'm a huge fan of constructive criticism. I abhor the destructive kind. At the very least, I leave my harshest words for for jokers like Mike Florio who make crap up to make a buck.

Just by the nature of Tom's blog - he is clearly open to having his work critiqued in a positive way.

Archived