Are you a better GM than Howson?

RazielSabre

There are probably better titles but this'll do. Just out of fun set up a trade for Rick Nash. Obvious rules apply, the trade should be realistic and work for both teams, etc. Essentially put yourself as the Columbus GM, before you realise your the GM of the lousiest hockey franchise and throw yourself off a bridge what trades would you set up for Nash. Treating Nash's own list of preferred clubs as advisory rather than set in gold.

I have no real idea but I do see a need for another goaltender in CBJ so maybe start with Bernier from LA? I'm not sure if they'd want to also put in Williams or something. I don't really see the need from LA's department but I don't see compatible pieces from many teams to be honest. My second option would be to see if Edmonton are willing to trade Yakupov and maybe a pick next year (2nd rounder?). My other idea was something starting with Chimera and the rights to Green from Washington. Anyway, who's got a good idea?

This is really tough to do, because its easy for us armchair GMs to just sit there and say we would trade player 'X' for players 'X', 'Y', 'Z' etc. throwing out what Howson has to work with because he only has a few teams Nash will go to, and not knowing what teams would give up for Nash.

LA right now (according to them) has no intention of dealing away Bernier until they have a solid backup in place behind Quick. if I was Columbus though, Bernier would be the guy I would definitly want as the cornerstone of my deal for Nash.

I am really starting to think that Howson is getting frustrated with Nash only giving him a couple of teams to work with, and is playing hardball with nash. He is keeping his demands high so if one of Nashs preffered teams cracks, he gets a good return, if not, Nash can sit and sulk until he either plays for Columbus, or gives them more teams to trade him to. The problem is that if Howson lets Nash sit out or keeps him around and he doesn't give 100%, fans will be on him for not getting rid of him, if he deals him away and doesn't get back a huge return, fans will be on him for just "giving him away" (Similar in a way to the reaction by some of the Roy/Ott trade. Almost everyone wanted to see Roy traded, yet when he is dealt for a player most wanted, it wasn't enough in some minds)

Three way trade.

Buffalo Gives

Ryan Miller

Drew Stafford

1st round pick

Columbus Gives

Rick Nash

Mark Letestu

Anaheim Gives

Bobby Ryan

Jonas Hiller

3rd round pick

---------------------------------------

Buffalo Receives

Jonas Hiller

Rick Nash

Columbus Receives

Bobby Ryan

Drew Stafford

Anaheim's 3rd round pick

Anaheim Receives

Ryan Miller

Mark Letestu

Buffalo's 1st round pick

Note: I'm not done with this, so I'll come back and edit it when I have the time with salaries and better analysis.

Again, as I have asked before in a different thread, Why do the Ducks want to trade Miller for Hiller? And Why do the Sabres want to trade Miller for Hiller? Millers Save% was .006 (.916 to .910) better then Hillers and his goals against avg was .02 better (2.55 to 2.57). In 12 less games, Miller had more wins, and less loses (regulation and OT). Whats the advatage of the Sabres giving up Miller for Hiller, or the advantage for the Ducks making the swap? If its salary, then whats the advantage for the Ducks giving up a goalie with similar stats?

The only reason that Miller for Hiller ever comes up is because of the belief that Miller wants to play in California to be close to his wife.

If I'm Howson, there is NFW I'm trading Nash for anything remotely resembling the crapola proposals that I've seen floating around. Nash is an elite player. You don't trade him for Dubinsky and a #1, or for Kreici and a #1, or for Stafford and Sekera. If it's the Rangers, I want Kreider, Staal and a #1, if it's the Bruins I want Seguin and if it's the Sabres I want Myers and Ennis.

But if I'm the owner of the CBJs, I've fired Howson long ago. What a bozo.

Absolutely. I could have the Blue Jackets in the playoffs before Regier gets the Sabres back in the playoffs again.

1st order of business is to tell Nash to hold on and plan to start the season in a Blue Jackets uniform. Wait for injuries to start hitting teams.

Bruins get: Nash, Nikitin and Johansen

Jackets get: Seguin, Seidenberg and a first

Habs get: Nash, Brassard

JAckets get: Galchenyuk, Plekanec, Emelin and a first

Senators get: Nash

Jackets get: Zibenijad, Cowan, Ceci and two firsts

Sabres get: Nash

Bluejackets: Derek Roy, Nathan Paetsch and the rights to Norm Milley

Bluejackets: Derek Roy, Nathan Paetsch and the rights to Norm Milley

^^^^Great sucess

CBJ gets- Tuomo Ruutu, Jussi Jokinin, Jiri Tlusty, Zac Dalpe, Riley Nash, 1st round pick.

CAR gets- Rick Nash, Derek Dorsett, Jared Boll.

Both Staals an a line with Nash gives Carolina a dominant first line, Think Perry, Getzlaf and Ryan in 2010-2011 but even better. Dorsett and Boll just fill roster spots. I believe Nash would waive NTC to play with the Staals

Howson wants NHL forwards, Ruutu, Jokinen and Tlusty (coming of a 36 point first full NHL season, only 4 blue jackets scored more than 36) could all contend for top 6 spots.

Dalpe is on the cusp of being an NHL ready player, he has top 6 potential and he probably would make CBJ's opening day roster as well.

Riley Nash needs more time to develop, but apathetic Columbus fans might mistake him for Rick and he does have potential.

Columbus would also gain roughly 1 million in cap space.

Archived