This Penguins / Flyers Series Is Exactly Why It Hurts

CallawaySabres

I don't. I think there are fans (including a few people on this message board) who could probably do the job.

My point is that if a GM goes out of his way to trade for players, sign players, and draft players -- he should get credit for what those players do. You can't downplay the success of the moves if they happen to work out better than was predicted by the consensus opinion. Let's go ahead and judge the moves by how they work out. Isn't that how pretty much everything in life works?

EDIT: BTW, the 2006 NHL draft was spectacular for the Sabres. Dennis Persson in the first round! :doh:

Agree with you 100% on your main point. Your post just reminded me of that story.

Also reminded me of how (after the Persson selection for chrissakes) I shook Darcy's hand and thanked him for the best Sabres season in 25 years. :doh: :doh:

Agree with you 100% on your main point. Your post just reminded me of that story.

Also reminded me of how (after the Persson selection for chrissakes) I shook Darcy's hand and thanked him for the best Sabres season in 25 years. :doh: :doh:

Was his hand wet and clammy ?

I think the Sabres can learn something from the Flyers. Looking at their top 2/3 lines they consist of a shifty playmaker(Briere, Giroux), a talented scorer(Jagr, schenn/van riemsdyk), and a big physical winger(Hartnell/Simmons). Even their third line of Read, Couterier and Schenn when van riemsdyk is healthy. This is exactly how our line of Ennis, Stafford and Foligno flourished. The Flyers just have 3 lines like this! So we may have already added one shifty playmaking center in Hodgson but I'm hoping we can have 3 lines in this mold next yr. Ennis, Foligno, Stafford. Hodgson, Vanek and XXXXX?. Roy(trade), Leino, Pominville. We are only 2 moves away from having 3 lines in this makeup and improving overall toughness, which everyone knows we need to improve. #1 is get a winger in the mold of (Simmons/Hartnell) maybe Ryan Malone?? 2. Get rid of Roy and get a bigger physical Center to play with Leino Pominville.

Ruff would have those lines juggled up midway through the 1st on the season opener.

I like the idea though.

Ruff would have those lines juggled up midway through the 1st on the season opener.

I like the idea though.

Didn't the top 3 lines stay relatively balanced when they consisted of:

Dumont - Briere - Hecht

Roy - Drury - Grier

Kotalik - Connolly - Pominville/Afinogenov

It's difficult to balance lines properly when your roster doesn't consist of a properly balanced set of NHL caliber forwards.

Didn't the top 3 lines stay relatively balanced when they consisted of:

Dumont - Briere - Hecht

Roy - Drury - Grier

Kotalik - Connolly - Pominville/Afinogenov

It's difficult to balance lines properly when your roster doesn't consist of a properly balanced set of NHL caliber forwards.

True, but that's 2 seasons out of 15.

And as it has been stated before, if Ruff isn't at least somewhat involved in what players he gets to work with, then Darcy needs to go, or needs to find a coach who sees things the way he does.

However, if Ruff is involved in what he gets to work with, the lack of a balanced NHL-ready roster is as much on him, and he deserves no free pass.

True, but that's 2 seasons out of 15.

And as it has been stated before, if Ruff isn't at least somewhat involved in what players he gets to work with, then Darcy needs to go, or needs to find a coach who sees things the way he does.

However, if Ruff is involved in what he gets to work with, the lack of a balanced NHL-ready roster is as much on him, and he deserves no free pass.

That's certainly all true to a degree. We'll get a clearer view this offseason how much of a hindrance Larry Quinn's "three legged horse" team management handicap has really affected the team's pursuit of free agents, pre-Pegula. While it's true the Sabres have been relatively close to the salary cap each year since it's inception, there was clearly no commitment to longterm contracts and perhaps a realistic stigma relating to playing in Buffalo that has handicapped them. If they still can't target quality players and fit them into the system, then to paraphrase Lindy himself: "There's not a lot of rope left for Ruff and Regier".

That's certainly all true to a degree. We'll get a clearer view this offseason how much of a hindrance Larry Quinn's "three legged horse" team management handicap has really affected the team's pursuit of free agents, pre-Pegula. While it's true the Sabres have been relatively close to the salary cap each year since it's inception, there was clearly no commitment to longterm contracts and perhaps a realistic stigma relating to playing in Buffalo that has handicapped them. If they still can't target quality players and fit them into the system, then to paraphrase Lindy himself: "There's not a lot of rope left for Ruff and Regier".

Indeed.

Archived