Hockey: More than a game is playing on PBS in Buffalo right now

Weave

Dammit. It's membership drive time. Now I get to sit through 15 minutes of begging before the show continues.

And I think I was wrong about the premise of the show. It isn't so much about the history of hockey but about how hockey and it's history affects Canadians. At least to this point in the show.

The segment on the '72 Summit Series was very good. I was surprised at how candid the producers were in profiling how ugly the Canadian players reactions to losing were. Quite a bit of footage of dirty, nasty play to highlight it.

Was it the 74 series all the Howe family played?

Don't know. A quick search didn't say.

As for the show, that middle segment on the Summit Series was the best part of the show. Unless you are from Dundas, ON.

Was it the 74 series all the Howe family played?

TTBOMK, there was no '74 series. The WHA played a 16 game series against the Soviets and the Czechs in '77-'78. 2 games were played by the Whalers that year, with the Whale beating the Soviets 7-2 in the 1st game of the whole series and beating the Czechs 5-2 in January. Considering all 3 Howes were on that team, I think that is a good bet.

TTBOMK, there was no '74 series. The WHA played a 16 game series against the Soviets and the Czechs in '77-'78. 2 games were played by the Whalers that year, with the Whale beating the Soviets 7-2 in the 1st game of the whole series and beating the Czechs 5-2 in January. Considering all 3 Howes were on that team, I think that is a good bet.

:thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

The segment on the '72 Summit Series was very good. I was surprised at how candid the producers were in profiling how ugly the Canadian players reactions to losing were. Quite a bit of footage of dirty, nasty play to highlight it.

Did you (or anyone, really) catch the "Cold War on Ice: Summit Series '72" special on Versus/NBCSports? I finally got a chance to watch it on my DVR last night and was impressed with the show. Being born a few years after the 72 series I knew very little of it outside generalities. I was very struck by the way Esposito and the other Canadian stars were more like rock stars than hockey players.

Archived