October Paychecks

LastPommerFan

Who Earned their Money in October?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Not worth the investment

• Thomas Vanek ($7.1M, 8G, 7A, +4)
    • Ryan Miller ($6.3M, 4W, 2.14GAA, .930sv%)
    • Jason Pominville ($5.3M, 5G, 9A, +3)
    • Ville Leino ($4.5M, 1G, 1A, -4)
    • Robyn Regehr ($4.0M, 0pts, 19:33atoi, +0)
    • Christian Ehrhoff ($4.0M, 7pts, 24:33atoi, -6)
    • Derek Roy ($4.0M, 1G, 3A, +0)
    • Drew Stafford ($4.0M, 3G, 2A, -1)
    • Brad Boyes ($4.0M, 2G, 4A, +2)
    • Jordan Leopold ($3.0M, 2pts, 21:06atoi, +1)
    • Andrej Sekera ($2.75, 2pts, 17:26atoi, +6)
    • Paul Gaustad ($2.3M, 1G, 1A, +3)
    • None
  2. 2. Right performance at the right price

• None
  3. 3. What a Steal!

• None

Looking at this now that it is posted, the poll is kind of hard to read, but I could only make 3 questions, so please bear with me.

Steals: Sekera, Goose, Pommer, Regehr

• Sekera- Quietly racking up a team best +/-
  • Goose- The draw win on the set play against Montreal alone earned him his paycheck
  • Pommer- Yes, I'm biased, but the 40th highest cap hit forward is 3rd in ppg.
  • Regehr- Boring Stat line, but what he brings to the ice every night, he might be the sabres most important defenseman.

In-Line: Vanek, Miller, Ehrhoff, Boyes, Leopold

• Vanek- He is supposed to be the best
  • Miller- 2.14/.930 is really good, especially considering the effort from the rest of the team in Tampa and vs. Florida, but he needs to get winning
  • Ehrhoff- Love the points, not so much the +/-, if this was done by salary rather than cap hit, he'd be a disaster
  • Boyes- Coming on late in the month, his effort has been good
  • Leopold- He's been an anchor, and I mean that in a good way

Wastes of Space: Leino, Roy, Stafford

• Leino- By far the biggest waste, should be his own category of terrible, hopefully he can get better, if not, would Terry put another $4.5M in ROC?
  • Roy- Seems to be struggling with the leg, has looked ok recently, but needs to step up soon
  • Stafford- On pace for 24G and 40pts. close, but not good enough for the payday.

Leino I'm willing to give time, it does take a while for players to adjust to new teams. Vanek and Pom are just right but Miller should be playing better, his stats are fine but he has to start playing clutch, locking down towards the end of a game. His not the only one to blame but at $7.1mill I expect a lot better, his been a Tim Thomas before but he seems to be more of a Luongo so far.

Boyes seems to be improving but doesn't fall anywhere yet for me. Roy again, he missed a huge chunk of time last season and is in a new role so too early.

Boyes has played well in the brief PP time he's played with Vanek and Pominville contributing 3 points. Luke Adam has shown lots of promise and has played really well for a rookie, but he still needs to work on his defensive zone game. Given that Pominville is taking faceoffs these days and probably the best defensive forward on the team, maybe the Sabres should just move him to center permanently and put Boyes on that wing. Ok, I'm kidding, but I wouldn't put it past Lindy to tinker like that.

Overall, Vanek is playing to his cap hit and above his salary right now. Pominville is playing above his cap/salary. I've always thought Pominville was more of a $4-$4.5 million/year player, but right now, he's playing like a $6 million player. The captaincy and playing with Vanek has been tremendous for him. He's really taken off his game.

Miller's stats are looking good, but the overall team around him has been lousy. In my mind, the success of this team has been due to Vanek, Pominville, and Miller with good support from Gerbe, Kaleta, and Gaustad. Aside from that, not much help or support from anyone else on the team. To me the biggest disappointments right now are Roy, Stafford, Leino, and Ennis (albeit hurt but he was stinking up the joint before he got hurt).

Boyes has played well in the brief PP time he's played with Vanek and Pominville contributing 3 points. Luke Adam has shown lots of promise and has played really well for a rookie, but he still needs to work on his defensive zone game. Given that Pominville is taking faceoffs these days and probably the best defensive forward on the team, maybe the Sabres should just move him to center permanently and put Boyes on that wing. Ok, I'm kidding, but I wouldn't put it past Lindy to tinker like that.

Overall, Vanek is playing to his cap hit and above his salary right now. Pominville is playing above his cap/salary. I've always thought Pominville was more of a $4-$4.5 million/year player, but right now, he's playing like a $6 million player. The captaincy and playing with Vanek has been tremendous for him. He's really taken off his game.

Miller's stats are looking good, but the overall team around him has been lousy. In my mind, the success of this team has been due to Vanek, Pominville, and Miller with good support from Gerbe, Kaleta, and Gaustad. Aside from that, not much help or support from anyone else on the team. To me the biggest disappointments right now are Roy, Stafford, Leino, and Ennis (albeit hurt but he was stinking up the joint before he got hurt).

Granted the team could have played better, but he was the sole reason they lost that Fla game. You did see the game didn't you? 3 soft goals will not win anything, ever! Shiit, they could find any joe blow off the street, pay them the minimum and get the same results Miller has been having, and oh by the way saving themselves $6+ million in the process.

The one player who has impressed me and is missing from the poll is Kaleta. He's been hitting, grinding in the corners and even managed a GWG last week. He looks like he is trying to be less of an agitator and more of a good, solid two-way player. I notice he's out there on the penalty kill quite a bit. Unfortunately, he's a -1.

The one player who has impressed me and is missing from the poll is Kaleta. He's been hitting, grinding in the corners and even managed a GWG last week. He looks like he is trying to be less of an agitator and more of a good, solid two-way player. I notice he's out there on the penalty kill quite a bit. Unfortunately, he's a -1.

I'm quietly impressed with him. I still think his an important part of this team.

I went with only the players with cap hits above $2M. The lists were long enough as it is.

Granted the team could have played better, but he was the sole reason they lost that Fla game. You did see the game didn't you? 3 soft goals will not win anything, ever! Shiit, they could find any joe blow off the street, pay them the minimum and get the same results Miller has been having, and oh by the way saving themselves $6+ million in the process.

If this is all you have to add to the conversation, it would be better to keep quiet.

As for the poll -- my 2 cents:

1. I have zero "steals." Pommer and Vanek have looked great but they are both paid so much that I can't see how Vanek could be classified as a "steal" at any level of production or Pommer could unless he hits something like 40-60-100.

2. My overpaid guys right now are Leino, Stafford and Boyes, although Stafford and Boyes are showing signs of life.

3. My bottom line is that while I appreciate that the OP is based on this point in the season, the question itself is a bit of a red herring since it can't be answered until we see what happens in the playoffs -- which is when the "top 6" other than Vanek has really crapped the bed the last 2 years.

If this is all you have to add to the conversation, it would be better to keep quiet.

1. I have zero "steals." Pommer and Vanek have looked great but they are both paid so much that I can't see how Vanek could be classified as a "steal" at any level of production or Pommer could unless he hits something like 40-60-100.

2. My overpaid guys right now are Leino, Stafford and Boyes, although Stafford and Boyes are showing signs of life.

3. My bottom line is that while I appreciate that the OP is based on this point in the season, the question itself is a bit of a red herring since it can't be answered until we see what happens in the playoffs -- which is when the "top 6" other than Vanek has really crapped the bed the last 2 years.

Please don't feed the troll... :D

This not a fair assessment. Exactly 1 player broke 100pts last year. Pommer is the 40th highest cap forward. 40th would be around 65pts. Never the less, In October, he did the equivalent of 40-72-112. It's hard to adjust performance to salary inflation each year, but I think your metrics for performance don't realistically match up with today's salary.

Absolutely completely valid point. These October assessments will have to be for "entertainment purposes only"

Opinion board, right? Thought so, I think you need not try to control others. Just love when the controlling wannabes try and dictate how others should act. If this conversation were taking place elsewhere face to face there is no way on this earth you would be telling me to be quite, and if you did you would have a problem on your hands, but the safety of the internet allows people like you to try and control others. Gotta love it!

Opinion board, right? Thought so, I think you need not try to control others. Just love when the controlling wannabes try and dictate how others should act. If this conversation were taking place elsewhere face to face there is no way on this earth you would be telling me to be quite, and if you did you would have a problem on your hands, but the safety of the internet allows people like you to try and control others. Gotta love it!

I think the point is he is trying to make is that however true or not true your argument is the way you made it has no place in a discussion, just a hate filled dirge rather than being constructive.

nfreeman - hope I'm not to far off the mark.

This not a fair assessment. Exactly 1 player broke 100pts last year. Pommer is the 40th highest cap forward. 40th would be around 65pts. Never the less, In October, he did the equivalent of 40-72-112. It's hard to adjust performance to salary inflation each year, but I think your metrics for performance don't realistically match up with today's salary.

Absolutely completely valid point. These October assessments will have to be for "entertainment purposes only"

At several million a season I don't think you could ever call him a 'steal', certainly good value for money though. IMHO.

Really? So if you were in a conversation with someone and a third party came piling in with a bunch of blabber laced with insults for those who disagree with him, that would be fine because hey, everyone's entitled to deliver his opinion?

Why don't you look at the content of your posts relative to the content of others' posts and see if you can detect a difference.

I did watch the game. Two of the goals are entirely on Miller, the first and second ones in particular. Those never should have gone in. The third goal was a tip off Roy's stick that no goalie would save in the NHL. So, aside from a bad game against Florida, his stats which are GAA and Save Percentage show he's playing strong and not getting support from his team aside from Pominville and Vanek. If Miller gets more goal support from the rest of his team, he'd have more wins with the same GAA and Save Percentage and he'd be the reason the team would be playing well. I'm pretty sure my point is still accurate a few bad goals aside.

I think people expect perfection from Miller or any goalie and it isn't going to happen. Stop comparing him to Hasek (not you in particular) cause he's not Hasek. He's a top 10 goalie in the league who if can keep a GAA in the low 2.00s (think 2.00-2.25) and his Save Percentage in the .960s over the course of a season, he's an elite goaltender in the NHL. As long as he gets the goal support to give him the Ws, Miller can statistically be that goalie in my opinion and I do believe the bigger issues on this team are the play of Roy, Leino, Ennis, Stafford, and to a lesser extent Boyes (although he's been okay the last few games). From the safety of the internet, that is my opinion without any insults thrown around.

Really? So if you were in a conversation with someone and a third party came piling in with a bunch of blabber laced with insults for those who disagree with him, that would be fine because hey, everyone's entitled to deliver his opinion?

Why don't you look at the content of your posts relative to the content of others' posts and see if you can detect a difference.

Oh, I see. Nobody can make a generalized comment on a sentence within a post because 2 people are cyber conversing. Your opinions are ok but mine are worong? Whatever dude! You better go catch your high horse, he is running away.

Oh, I see. Nobody can make a generalized comment on a sentence within a post because 2 people are cyber conversing. Your opinions are ok but mine are worong? Whatever dude! You better go catch your high horse, he is running away.

Its not so much what you say, it's your tone and lack of thought. You have been around here for a while - you should know by now that thoughtful, detailed posts, especially those backed up by facts and statistics, are valued, but thoughtless rants with no basis in fact are not. If you don't want to be called out for such posts, don't make them.

You may also want to change your delivery.

Archived