OT: For the geek in all of us

frissonic

I thought this was going to be about the satellite falling out of the sky today.

I just tried to book a flight to Mexico to be near the point of Greatest Eclipse, but Priceline wouldn't let me name my own price for a flight to Mexico 13 years from now. They said something about the volatility of the US-Mexican exchange rate.

I thought this was going to be about the satellite falling out of the sky today.

I just tried to book a flight to Mexico to be near the point of Greatest Eclipse, but Priceline wouldn't let me name my own price for a flight to Mexico 13 years from now. They said something about the volatility of the US-Mexican exchange rate.

my idea is taking a picture (okay ... probably an entire card worth of pictures) of the eclipse from a vantage point where it's centered between the american falls and horseshoe falls. i'm not sure it gets any more picturesque than that. :)

I'll come back for that.

I was a tour guide at Niagara Falls in the early 90s(late 80s?) when there was a lunar eclipse. Seeing the moon change color directly over the falls from the observation tower was pretty cool.

If you like the night sky, I highly recomend going to Hawaii. We stayed on the big island and I will never look at the stars the same again.

I'll come back for that.

I was a tour guide at Niagara Falls in the early 90s(late 80s?) when there was a lunar eclipse. Seeing the moon change color directly over the falls from the observation tower was pretty cool.

If you like the night sky, I highly recomend going to Hawaii. We stayed on the big island and I will never look at the stars the same again.

Hell yeah it's awesome. Never knew there were so many!

I'll come back for that.

i know what you mean. it's like looking at a black floor where someone spilled large granule salt all over the place. first time i saw a sky like that was when i was walking around northern portugal at night and the power went out in this tiny remote town. you wanna talk about pitch frickin' black ... there wasn't a lumen to be found ANYwhere. i just laid back on a patch of grass and waited, during which my eyes were shut. when i opened them, of course i was staring straight up into a completely unobstructed view of a late fall sky. it was mind-blowing.

one of the fringe benefits to living in the west is that there are VAST expanses of open sky and nothing for miles between you and even a small town. just last night, i tried a daddy/daughter date with my 5 year old by heading into the canyon about 10-15 miles and up the side of a mountain for about another 10 miles. crystal clear, crisp sky. i could totally make out the milky way, all the constellations ... it was great! until we got out of the car and she could hear the millions of insects getting their night groove on. the term i used was "cacophony of crickets." she flipped out because of the pitch black and insane noise level. we ended up not getting any pics or star gazing in and turned back almost as soon as i had the camera on the tripod. :) oh well. the point was to spend time with her, so it was fine.

I read about that. Pretty intense implications, if found to be true. A lot of doubters out there, but there are a couple of groups trying to replicate and confirm.

i read that too. if i remember right, the questions are huge. did it actually go faster than the speed of light, even if it were by just a few nanoseconds? and if it did, does it still hold that an object with mass cannot travel faster than the speed of light, or is the particle that traveled a newly discovered massless particle? either way, yah--the implications are gargantuan ... IF they can hold up under independent verification. that would be insanely cool.

Archived