[OT] Q's About I-Phone

Taro T

That was me!

I thought it was, but there were several replies that went out there for multiple threads, so I couldn't remember who sent the initial version. That was a VERY useful tip. :thumbsup:

I can send you the ringtone. No problem.

Cool. :thumbsup:

(was the original EJ song The ____ is Back? haha).

:angel:

if anyone is interested, i have about 20 iphone-formatted ringtones of varying degrees of coolness (confession: one is actually a suzanne vega track from "99.9 F degrees," so be forewarned), but mostly more up-tempo stuff, like muse's "uprising" and "hysteria," metallica's "master of puppets" sped up 1.5x and "dyer's eve" (my fave), i think i have the theme song to "the office" for all you cube-dwellers. anyway if anyone is interested, let me know. i might post them on my site and just let y'all have at them, but if there's no interest, then i won't bother.

that is a negative, ghost rider. iphone ringtones are a different file format than straight-up mp3s. however, there are several free apps that make ringtone creation easy and fun. if i actually had my iphone with me (instead of having it LOST AND NO IDEA WHERE I PUT IT!), i could tell you which i would recommend, but regardless, the process is the same: put a song on your phone, open the app, navigate to the song, clip the portion you want to use as a ringtone, conenct to itunes, select your phone from the device list on the left, click the apps tab at the top of the screen, scroll down to [insert name of app thingy selection doohickey here], select your ringtone app, xfer files associated with ringtone app to somewhere on your desktop, load those into your library, then drag and drop ringtones from your library to your phone.

see?! it's not convoluted or confusing at all! ;)

EDIT: as the iphone's next big brother is coming out either in september or october, if it were me, i'd hold off until then. no sense buying one now, only to become ragingly jealous of the new phone when it comes out. the huge thing i'm looking forward to with the next-gen phones it the OTA iOS updates. no connecting to itunes to update! it's all done over the air, much like updating an app.

I'll have to look into when the new ones are due to come out. If it's September, I can probably hold off. If October, it probably won't work for timing reasons.

I'd been resigned to living w/ my Droid for about another year, but WE'd ( :rolleyes: )decided to get our oldest a phone this year. Instead of getting him a basic phone w/ just texting capabilities (we've already got a spare cell phone line which has been due it's 'upgrade' phone for over a year - we were just going to upgrade to a newer basic phone w/ a nice built in camera and add a text plan and give it as a birthday present) we decided it wouldn't be that much more expensive (it actually doesn't add that much to the bill not counting the phone upcharge itself) to give him my Droid and have me upgrade instead.

Do you know if the new I-phone (I-phone 5?) would only be available for AT&T or is it also coming out for Verizon?

I'll have to look into when the new ones are due to come out. If it's September, I can probably hold off. If October, it probably won't work for timing reasons.

I'd been resigned to living w/ my Droid for about another year, but WE'd ( :rolleyes: )decided to get our oldest a phone this year. Instead of getting him a basic phone w/ just texting capabilities (we've already got a spare cell phone line which has been due it's 'upgrade' phone for over a year - we were just going to upgrade to a newer basic phone w/ a nice built in camera and add a text plan and give it as a birthday present) we decided it wouldn't be that much more expensive (it actually doesn't add that much to the bill not counting the phone upcharge itself) to give him my Droid and have me upgrade instead.

Do you know if the new I-phone (I-phone 5?) would only be available for AT&T or is it also coming out for Verizon?

not only is it coming out on both platforms, but there's a wicked-solid rumor that they're developing a "pay-as-you-go" iphone for pretty much all carriers. GSM and CDMA integrated into the one phone; however, it will be more of a 3G-S phone, with no retina display, and i'm not sure what iOS it will support. also, supposedly the 5 (or whatever it'll be called) will operate out of country if you have an international SIM card. good news if you travel.

some of the other benefits of the new phone coming out are larger screen, supposedly larger camera with a much better low-light sensor (which for me is a HUGE plus cuz i like to record concert vids with my current phone, and it does a pretty good job, but there is definitely room for improvement. look up "frissonic" on youtube and check out the samantha crain and U2 vids for examples.), POSSIBLY 1080p video recording but i bet they stick with 720p for now, OTA iOS updates ... there are other things that may be included like possible wireless battery charging and NFC payment method/s, but that might be in the next iteration, probably next year.

get the iphone you will never regret it with built in iPod and itunes very easy to manage playlists etc. I sync with google since I dont use the iPhone for corporate stuff. Apps I uses most of time: pandora, facebook, email and internet radio for wgr. I have the Bills shout song as one of the ringtones I use for certain callers. Now need to get a sabres song loaded. I bought a bunch of ringtones with older phones and just converted and now have them on the iphone. http://gigaom.com/apple/free-custom-iphone-ringtones-using-only-itunes/ tells ya how to do it

I've got a Droid and am thinking about switching to I-Phone (I-Phone 4?). I'm on Verizon. The Q's I have are:

1. Can the I-Phone 4 sync w/ Outlook 2010? I've seen on some forums that it can, but it sounds like there are a few hoops to jump through to make it happen. I was curious if anyone here has synced them and how easy / successful they've been. This would be the deal breaker if I can't sync the 2.

You're syncing via ActiveSync right? if so, works flawless. If not, ugh.

FWIW, I have an Android phone and an IPad. The lack of flash on the iPad has gotten slightly annoying. Though, I am not sure how that translates to the phone these days. I had the old iPhone 3G before I moved to the Droid, but that wasn't a problem.

"Uncle Steve"... "legions of Stepford wife-style fans"... [bunch of irrational garbage about flashy apps, time, and money...]

There was not a single constructive thing to say that doesn't invite a flame war.

I'm not letting a request by a respected member turn into an Apple/Droid pissing match.

Post has been removed...

Archived