(OT) NHL Gamecentre

Sabel79

I'm seriously considering nixing cable, and therefore will not be able to get Center Ice. I notice that the Roku player will let you access Gamecentre, so basically, is there anyone on the board who uses the online service; and is it worth it?

Specifically, I'm wondering how it works with Vs. games. I'm sure you can't get them live, but is there at least a replay?

Thanks for your input.

I tried Gamecenter streaming through my Roku device late in the past season when they dropped the price substantially for the end of the year and playoffs. I ended up calling and canceling after three days. There were lots of connectivity issues, dropping broadcasts, etc. I am hoping they get it together over the offseason and will subscribe again.

Any games televised in your area will be blacked out for 48 hours following the end of the game, at which point you can watch a replay--- this includes Versus games. I think part of the new NBC deal for the upcoming season included all Versus games to be shown online, though--- is that correct?

Any games televised in your area will be blacked out for 48 hours following the end of the game, at which point you can watch a replay--- this includes Versus games. I think part of the new NBC deal for the upcoming season included all Versus games to be shown online, though--- is that correct?

Not sure, but that would be sweet.

I have a Roku, and although I haven't used it for NHL Center Ice (GameCenter), I can tell you the XDS makes a beautiful hi-def picture. The main reason I haven't switched yet from DirecTV / Center Ice is that my internet connection would need to be seriously upgraded to support the HD broadcasts. Not sure if that caused the connection problems others noted, but for HD I think you need a minimum of 3-6 Mbps to prevent the stream from constantly buffering.

I have AT&T U-Verse and they don't carry Center Ice, so I've had to use Game Center for the last few years. They have made a ton of improvements. Everybody is correct that if a game is being televised nationally it won't be on GC, but all the other games will. The problem I had last year is that it took til about mid-season before MSG supplied GC with an HD feed and the standard def was just horrible. Not sure exactly how fast your internet needs to be, I've got 12 Mbps and no trouble. Up until this year GC only supplied the home broadcast for each game so on one hand I had to miss Rick/Harry for away games, but I did get the HD feed because for the most part every other team in the league had HD on GC except for BFLO. Last year they added the option to watch either the home or away feed. I rarely have problems with GC. About 5 minutes before the game starts I just plug in an HDMI to my laptop and I'm good to go. Oh, and it does have pause and rewind just like any other DVR box. If it's your only option, it's well worth the money. Their customer service is good too.

I'm seriously considering nixing cable, and therefore will not be able to get Center Ice. I notice that the Roku player will let you access Gamecentre, so basically, is there anyone on the board who uses the online service; and is it worth it?

Specifically, I'm wondering how it works with Vs. games. I'm sure you can't get them live, but is there at least a replay?

Thanks for your input.

I have a Roku XDS and so far am pretty happy with it. Picture quality is great for me. Mainly use it for Netflix and my oldest loves the Anime channel. Have hi speed connection (I forget exactly how fast ). Have an Apple Airport for the wireless. Been thinking about ditching cable too. Couple questions about Gamecenter: Whats the price tag and will I be able to get every Sabres game?

I have a Roku XDS and so far am pretty happy with it. Picture quality is great for me. Mainly use it for Netflix and my oldest loves the Anime channel. Have hi speed connection (I forget exactly how fast ). Have an Apple Airport for the wireless. Been thinking about ditching cable too. Couple questions about Gamecenter: Whats the price tag and will I be able to get every Sabres game?

Pretty sure the price is the same as Center Ice ($160-180 for the full season), and you can do a single payment or several monthly installments. You should get every game that is televised except those on Versus or NBC, with the standard blackout rules (no games you get locally, although not sure how they determine that with an internet feed). See here for more details:

https://gamecenter.nhl.com/nhlgc/help.htm

Thanks for the replies here; this was something I also was needing to ask in the near future...

Is there a way to get NHL Network without buying a cable package? I could live without seeing 10% of the VS games, but I cannot fathom eating my breakfast without the whitty musings of Kevin Weeks and Brian Duff.

At any rate, without being able split cable bills next season, is it true that: the value in buying Netflix + the NHL Gamecenter IS MUCH THAN the value in buying cable (NHL Network, VS, 1000 channels of horsepuckey) + NHL Center Ice?

My worry is the speed of the internet feed, so any more thoughts on that would be helpful. For what it's worth, I will be trying to watch in HD next season, if there's any difference between the online NHL Gamecenter and Center Ice in this regard.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the replies here; this was something I also was needing to ask in the near future...

Is there a way to get NHL Network without buying a cable package? I could live without seeing 10% of the VS games, but I cannot fathom eating my breakfast without the whitty musings of Kevin Weeks and Brian Duff.

At any rate, without being able split cable bills next season, is it true that: the value in buying Netflix + the NHL Gamecenter IS MUCH THAN the value in buying cable (NHL Network, VS, 1000 channels of horsepuckey) + NHL Center Ice?

My worry is the speed of the internet feed, so any more thoughts on that would be helpful. For what it's worth, I will be trying to watch in HD next season, if there's any difference between the online NHL Gamecenter and Center Ice in this regard.

Thanks again!

Not sure if this is true for all providers, but with DirecTV I got NHL Network when I subscribed to Center Ice (it wasn't included in my normal channel package). I don't recall that with Comcast, but it's been a few years since I was with them.

Thanks again!

I think I remember them saying you need at least 2 Mbps internet speeds for HD and 1 Mbps for standard def.

Archived