This Day in Sabres History :: March 18

August 1, 2005 was a better day!

Miroslav Satan became a National Hockey League free agent Sunday when the Buffalo Sabres declined to make a qualifying offer of $3.8 million to the high-scoring, 30-year-old right wing. 'We will not qualify Miro,' Sabres general manager Darcy Regier announced at a late afternoon news conference in HSBC Arena.

Wow, that's being pretty tough on the second- or third-best player in (arguably) the greatest era of Sabre hockey. As I wrote around the time of LaFontaine's number retirement, Satan's numbers compare pretty favorably to Pat's, when you consider the defensive style and era Satan played in. It was a great trade by Mucks!

August 1, 2005 was a better day!

Miroslav Satan became a National Hockey League free agent Sunday when the Buffalo Sabres declined to make a qualifying offer of $3.8 million to the high-scoring, 30-year-old right wing. 'We will not qualify Miro,' Sabres general manager Darcy Regier announced at a late afternoon news conference in HSBC Arena.

I have to admit that when Satan and Zhitnik were let go and the Sabres seemed to not be signing anyone I thought this was going to be a really bad season

Wow, that's being pretty tough on the second- or third-best player in (arguably) the greatest era of Sabre hockey.

Really? The greatest era? Huh ... maybe. From the mid 70s through the end of Bert's career, the Sabres never had to worry about making the playoffs. In fact, many of those years we all had legit Cup hopes ... while the endings were always disappointing, it was still a better era than the Hasek-Satan years to me. The hasek Satan years I always felt like we were fighting for every point and over-achieving occasionallly ... One division title, one trip to the Finals and one other trip to the conference finals ... I guess the earlier teams didn't accomplish much more, and it could be argued it is better to over-achieve than under-achieve, but ... it sure felt better.

Maybe it felt better because of what bob-sauve would call the "first love" factor. I don't know. I do think people tend to romanticize the past.

Here's another way of comparing the Perreault and Hasek "eras" -- Perreault won 42 playoff games in 17 seasons, Hasek 45 in nine.

That's why I said "arguably." :)

Maybe it felt better because of what bob-sauve would call the "first love" factor. I don't know. I do think people tend to romanticize the past.

Here's another way of comparing the Perreault and Hasek "eras" -- Perreault won 42 playoff games in 17 seasons, Hasek 45 in nine.

You can also look at that in another way. More teams in the playoffs in hasek's era, which is an extra series.

If the french connection had Hasek instead of Bromley, or vice versa. Hmmmmmmm

Or, perhaps it "felt better" because the team had far more success during the regular season. 5 out of 6 years over 100 points, missed 100 the next year by 1 point. The team outscored its opponents by more than 100 goals on 2 occasions.

In the Dom era, the team never broke 100 but did break 90 4 times. 2 of those seasons they ended up in 4th in their division. The year they nearly broke 100, they had the Peca hold out taking a lot of the fun out of it. The best GF/GA they had was +64.

Playoff-wise the 2 eras were very similar (1 final run, 1 semifinal run). As someone else posted, during many of Perreault's years, the top teams only had to play 3 rounds. Also, preliminary rounds were best of 3's and best of 5's, not the best of 7's that we have now. Going by playoff rounds, Gilbert's Sabres were 9-12. Dom's were 7-7.