All About Brian Campbell

grinreaper

He was never worth all of that money. Chicago fans learned what Sabres fans have known for years. He's a good offensive defenseman that is useless in the defensive zone. He's made two checks in his entire career (maybe three if you count the Ovechkin one), both of them high profile, but aside from the hits on Umberger and Axelsson, he's never checked anyone. He's a soft defenseman that is good offensively and a liability in the defensive zone. He was never worth more than $4 million/year in my mind and Chicago gets to dump what was once a prohibitively expensive contract because the Cap Floor has gone up so much over the years.

He was never worth all of that money. Chicago fans learned what Sabres fans have known for years. He's a good offensive defenseman that is useless in the defensive zone. He's made two checks in his entire career (maybe three if you count the Ovechkin one), both of them high profile, but aside from the hits on Umberger and Axelsson,

he's never checked anyone. He's a soft defenseman that is good offensively and a liability in the defensive zone. He was never worth more than $4 million/year in my mind and Chicago gets to dump what was once a prohibitively

expensive contract because the Cap Floor has gone up so much over the years.

A) his minutes contradict Olczyk

B) his plus/ minus this year show he is far from a liability

C) in today's NHL he is a $4.5 to $5.5 million defenseman

Olczyk is a moron. And tremendously tremendous. :lol:

Campbell carried play for Chicago in the playoffs, and played top pair.

Olczyk didn't notice how tremendously tremendous he was.

There are so many factors that go into +/-, which is why I've always hated that statistic. You can use it for whatever purpose you want as it is the most convenient statistic. It can either tell you that the player is on a very good offensive team or is excellent in the defensive zone. I think it's not a very good statistic to use to determine if a player is good in the defensive zone. Blocked shots are a better statistic in my mind. Hits is also a good statistic to determine how a good a player is defensively. All of these combined with +/- gives you a better story, but +/- alone says nothing about a player's defensive abilities.

I'm going by the Brian Campbell I saw in Buffalo, and he was never very good defensively. Maybe his game has evolved, but it wasn't very good in Buffalo. That's why I think he's not worth more than $4.5 million/year, and I think that's still accurate based on his game.

I'm going by the Brian Campbell I saw in Buffalo, and he was never very good defensively. Maybe his game has evolved, but it wasn't very good in Buffalo. That's why I think he's not worth more than $4.5 million/year, and I think that's still accurate based on his game.

Depends on what you want him to do defensively....Campbell is probably the best player in the league at skating back on dumps, getting the puck, moving it out, and he's rarely touched.

Now that might not be worth 7 million...but it is pretty good D.

Depends on what you want him to do defensively....Campbell is probably the best player in the league at skating back on dumps, getting the puck, moving it out, and he's rarely touched.

Now that might not be worth 7 million...but it is pretty good D.

I don't think my expectations are all that high, but he's not one of the first defenseman I think about putting on the ice when I have a penalty to kill. That would be someone I would identify with good defensively. When the game is tight and needs to be locked down, I want someone who will clear the crease, block shots, and doing anything physically in his power to prevent a goal from going in. I also would expect a defenseman to be able to get the puck out of the defensive zone without turning it over to the other team. I would look for someone who is not afraid to hit someone and be rough along the boards. When I think of someone who is strong defensively, I think of Robyn Regehr, not Brian Campbell.

Like I said, he's good offensively and can skate the puck really well. There is a purpose for defenseman like that in the NHL. I just don't think they are worth $7 million. Brian Campbell and John Michael Liles are similar if not the exact same in skillset. Brian Campbell really should be making Liles money not Chara money, and that's my whole point.

Also, it is very rare to find a defenseman that is the total package that can bring it offensively, QB the PP, and be the lockdown defender that plays against the top line. Those are Norris Trophy candidates and deserve to be in the upper echelon of the pay scale like Chara, Lidstrom, Niedermayer, Pronger, Keith, etc. Brian Campbell is not in that discussion in my mind and does not deserve to be paid like that either. That's all.

Campbell is an offensive defenseman - not a defensive defenseman. As for his salary - he was in the right place at the right time as an UFA and he helped that team win a Cup. If Chicago wins another Cup during his remaining contract years, now that he is not on the team, then we discuss if he was worth it.

There are so many factors that go into +/-, which is why I've always hated that statistic. You can use it for whatever purpose you want as it is the most convenient statistic.

It means they score more goals when he's on the ice than they allow, which makes him a valuable player. If you think his numbers are skewed by being on a talented team, compare his numbers to his teammates.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/team/stats/_/name/chi/seasontype/2/cat/plusMinus/chicago-blackhawks

Archived