Did Ruff's contract expire Tuesday Night?

SDS

I agree, June 30th is my best guess, but we see so many coaches fired within a week of the team's last game ("to move forward in their search for a new coach" and/or to have the new coach in by draft time) that I wonder if the last game is the most contractually meaningful date.

I suppose teams pay the rest of the contract through June 30th, tell the coaches that they don't need to show up for work, hire another coach to start getting paid on July 1st, but get the new guy in ASAP to have draft input.

I agree, June 30th is my best guess, but we see so many coaches fired within a week of the team's last game ("to move forward in their search for a new coach" and/or to have the new coach in by draft time) that I wonder if the last game is the most contractually meaningful date.

I suppose teams pay the rest of the contract through June 30th, tell the coaches that they don't need to show up for work, hire another coach to start getting paid on July 1st, but get the new guy in ASAP to have draft input.

If it's anything like the players, they're not getting paid again after the end of the regular season anyway.

Great question. I wonder if it is written to end on a certain day after the playoffs end for the team or if it is a calendar date?

ANSWER (opinion)

i thought like all players contracts, it ends on the 30th of June, the end of the NHL's business year

It would make sense (with draft and such being the week prior)

Archived