Boyes could play 83 regular season games

PASabreFan

Interesting thought.

In a quick search, found this: http://wiredcola.com/content/nhl-question-who-has-played-most-games-one-season

So I think 85 GP may be the record.

Uh, I'd say Jimmy Carson in '92-'93 (Wings -> Kings) or Bob Kudelski in '93-'94 (Sens -> Cats) w/ 86 would beat that.

Back when there was only a 78 game season, Ross Lonsberry became the 1st NHLer to go over 80 games w/ 82 back in '71-'72 when he was traded from LA to the Phlyers.

Tis true tis tru. He should get paid for the extra games?

Why, was he in the NHL any extra days? ;)

And to answer PA's original Q: LaLa was the only Sabre to play all 84 in '92-'93. May, Smehlik, & Wood all tied his Sabres record in '93-'94.

Well, I guess. They get an asterisk* though because of 84-game seasons.

Why would their playing 86 games in 84 games be any less impressive than Murray & Guerin playing 85 games in 82? None of those guys played 4 extra games like Lonsberry did 2-3 decades earlier, though he only got to 82. Should they all get *'s?

It's all pretty silly if you ask me, because it is totally dependent upon a scheduling quirk. A team with multiple games in hand makes a trade for a player that hasn't missed any time. So if the Sabres and Strangers play 4 games over in Europe this year before anyone else has played and the Sabres send Connolly to the Thrashers for Byfuglien after they've only played 1 game and the Sabres have played 2 more on this side of the pond because the Philips Arena was booked for a special Georgia Tech pep rally for a week and then he doesn't miss a game the rest of the year, now he's the 'record holder?' :huh:

Archived