Ice throws

neverenough

So in Detroit they throw octopus and in Florida they use to throw plastic rats in the mid 90's if i remember right.Has there ever been any traditions like that in Buffalo?

One opening night some years back (it was in the Aud, so maybe 1988 or '89), they wanted to have an impressive pre-game show. So, on every seat was one of those little chemically-powered light sources (you know, you break the little glass tube inside and shake up the liquid and it glows for a couple of hours). The only thing is, they were sort of saucer-shaped. So, before the pre-game even got going, fans were launching them Frisbee-like down to the ice surface. Only about half the crowd still had possession of them at the point in the pre-game show they were supposed to light them up. After the pre-game, thousands more were launched towards the ice. They were sweeping them off the ice for 15 minutes before the game could start. Even after the opening face-off, whenever there was a play stoppage, a few more glowing saucers would land on the ice. I'm guessing the person who came up with that little scheme was shown the door before that game was over.

Other than that, Sabre fans have been generally pretty good about not throwing objects on the ice (except hats for a hat trick).

One opening night some years back (it was in the Aud, so maybe 1988 or '89), they wanted to have an impressive pre-game show. So, on every seat was one of those little chemically-powered light sources (you know, you break the little glass tube inside and shake up the liquid and it glows for a couple of hours). The only thing is, they were sort of saucer-shaped. So, before the pre-game even got going, fans were launching them Frisbee-like down to the ice surface. Only about half the crowd still had possession of them at the point in the pre-game show they were supposed to light them up. After the pre-game, thousands more were launched towards the ice. They were sweeping them off the ice for 15 minutes before the game could start. Even after the opening face-off, whenever there was a play stoppage, a few more glowing saucers would land on the ice. I'm guessing the person who came up with that little scheme was shown the door before that game was over.

Other than that, Sabre fans have been generally pretty good about not throwing objects on the ice (except hats for a hat trick).

Throwing stuff used to be the thing back in the day. Happened all the time. I remember Rick used to rail against the fans, both home and away, who did it.

Never happens anymore. New arenas playing into it?

Please, Please, Please, don't start throwing things on the Ice. I hate the fact that an Octopus dies for every Red Wings game. Its like some barbaric ritual sacrifice.

Actually, I'd be for throwing the Red Wings fans on the ice if I ever see another Octopus at Center Ice of the HSBC arena.

Throwing things on the ice in celebration (other than hats) makes it ok to throw things on the ice in anger. I was at that Sabres v Islanders playoff game in 2007 when the Isles fans went psycho and threw everything on the ice (aimed at players) and the Pepsi stain was still on the ice for game 4. I continue to think of Islanders fans as the worst in Hockey.

ask an old Winnipeg Jets fan how they feel about throwing things on the ice. In the 1990 playoffs a fan threw a box of popcorn onto the ice, after the Jets had taken what seemed to be a strangle hold on their hated nemesis the Edmonton Oilers. The resulting break in play supposedly killed the Jets’ momentum and they eventually lost the game.

This is featured in a great documentary called Death By Popcorn, the Trajedy of the Winnipeg Jets. Google it. Any hockey fan would love it.

ask an old Winnipeg Jets fan how they feel about throwing things on the ice. In the 1990 playoffs a fan threw a box of popcorn onto the ice, after the Jets had taken what seemed to be a strangle hold on their hated nemesis the Edmonton Oilers. The resulting break in play supposedly killed the Jets’ momentum and they eventually lost the game.

This is featured in a great documentary called Death By Popcorn, the Trajedy of the Winnipeg Jets. Google it. Any hockey fan would love it.

i honestly thought you were kidding because it sounded so ludicrous. how wrong, how wrong ...

popcorn hockey documentary

WOW. ridiculously Canadian

Archived