Senators Stop Devils

Dave Dryden

Yeah ... but Toronto lost, and they still have two games in hand on Atlanta (also on Toronto and Carolina), so they didn't lose any ground. :blink: If they win their "games in hand" (which is a big IF, but worth noting) they are two points behind Buffalo for 8th place.

Yeah ... but Toronto lost, and they still have two games in hand on Atlanta (also on Toronto and Carolina), so they didn't lose any ground. :blink: If they win their "games in hand" (which is a big IF, but worth noting) they are two points behind Buffalo for 8th place.

Huh? They have 70 points in 70 games--same # of games as Sabres. Flat .500. If they go 11-1 down the stretch, they hit 92 points. Seem like a playoff lock.

Huh? They have 70 points in 70 games--same # of games as Sabres. Flat .500. If they go 11-1 down the stretch, they hit 92 points. Seem like a playoff lock.

Yahoo standings I was looking at weren't updated yet... regardless, they didn't really lose any ground. 6 points out of 8th. Still plenty of hockey. I'm not rooting for them but a deluca bash thread seems odd when their loss didn't really do a WHOLE lot of damage. It's not like they lost on a night that Buffalo, Carolina, Toronto, and Atlanta all won.

Yahoo standings I was looking at weren't updated yet... regardless, they didn't really lose any ground. 6 points out of 8th. Still plenty of hockey. I'm not rooting for them but a deluca bash thread seems odd when their loss didn't really do a WHOLE lot of damage. It's not like they lost on a night that Buffalo, Carolina, Toronto, and Atlanta all won.

Simple math says they are running out of time. To get to 90 points--the bubble--they need to go 10-2. It does not matter that others did not win--they simply cannot lose anymore. Ottawa announcers even felt this pretty much killed NJD playoff chances, and the math says they are right.

3-1. Kovalchuk stoned on a breakaway by Curtis "Jacque Plante" McElhinney late in the 3rd with the score 2-1. If the Sabres only had Kovy--the Cup would be ours.

I am amazed at how many people actually fear the Devils. A team that at one point was 20 games under .500.

But that said, I just looked at their schedule and the next 5 could really put a fork in them... Washington, Columbus, Boston, Pittsburgh, Buffalo.

They likely must have 9 points in these games. That gets them to 79 points with 7 to play.

Simple math says they are running out of time. To get to 90 points--the bubble--they need to go 10-2. It does not matter that others did not win--they simply cannot lose anymore. Ottawa announcers even felt this pretty much killed NJD playoff chances, and the math says they are right.

Who says 90 points makes the playoffs?

3-1. Kovalchuk stoned on a breakaway by Curtis "Jacque Plante" McElhinney late in the 3rd with the score 2-1. If the Sabres only had Kovy--the Cup would be ours.

You have to have the highest new thread/post ratio of anyone on the board.

That said, I'm glad the Devils lost. They may not make the playoffs, but I'm still not looking forward to playing them with Kovy on the 26th.

Yep.

Interesting that the top 11 teams in the West are .500 or better. The East has 7 teams over .500.

So I guess it's a good thing that your boys Kessel (quotable quote 'I'd give my left nut to be an NHLer' :D ) and Kovy play in the East. Otherwise their fanboys couldn't even fantasize about them making the playoffs. :P

Archived