Leafs Defeat Carolina

Dave Dryden

Vanek will still be in his prime when he completes his contract, and the sabres didn't negotiate that contract, Edmonton did.

What happens when kovie pulls a Redden/Yashin, or just decides to retire after 6 or 7 years. He could be taking a bite of their cap for another decade with his crazy deal. DiPietro should have taught the entire league the danger of multiple decade contracts.

Oh, and If Vanek only scores 26 he will be overpaid, too.

You gave a pure Regierian response. How about, what if scores 30-50 goals for the next 5-10 years? What if he leads them to a Stanley Cup. What is that saying "No Risks, No Rewards?" The Devils have one of the most prolific goal scorers currently in the league. That comes with a heavy price that they were willing to pay. It is an investment that is paying off huge that last 25 games or so and may very well land them a playoff spot.

Vanek will still be in his prime when he completes his contract, and the sabres didn't negotiate that contract, Edmonton did.

What happens when kovie pulls a Redden/Yashin, or just decides to retire after 6 or 7 years. He could be taking a bite of their cap for another decade with his crazy deal. DiPietro should have taught the entire league the danger of multiple decade contracts.

If he retires he doesn't count against the cap. It's that buyout after 7 years that will hit them for 16 more years (depending on what the next 3 CBAs say).

And apparently the entire league has no place for 50 goal scorers this year.

You gave a pure Regierian response. How about, what if scores 30-50 goals for the next 5-10 years? What if he leads them to a Stanley Cup. What is that saying "No Risks, No Rewards?" The Devils have one of the most prolific goal scorers currently in the league. That comes with a heavy price that they were willing to pay. It is an investment that is paying off huge that last 25 games or so and may very well land them a playoff spot.

Not Regerian - I believe you open the vault for the right player, I just don't believe Kovi is that player. You assume that Kovi will remain motivated to play a little D now and again and that he will remain a good citizen - that is not his history. In fact, his history is that he is a locker room cancer, and his team mates grow to hate him. I shared some inside information I had on him and the Atlanta locker room over the summer. That is not the profile of a player who puts his team over the top, its the profile of player who drags his team down.

I have to give Darcy credit. He does not habitually dole out egregiously long contracts. The only exception was Vanek's, and, like you said, Kevin Lowe forced Darcy's hand on that one.

Archived