What does an NFL lockout mean for NHL?

LGR4GM

I am not a big football fan. I root for the bills cuz they are the home-team but don't really care a great deal. I was thinking though, how awesome for Hockey would it be if the NFL didn't play next season? IMO it would be the best thing for hockey because it could be sold to people who cant watch football, Pegula wouldn't have to drill a gas well he would be making money cuz all that football revenue has to go somewhere right?

Pegula wouldn't have to drill a gas well he would be making money cuz all that football revenue has to go somewhere right?

:lol: Right on! :thumbsup:

I look at it this way. if there's no NFL season come September, at least I don't have to be reminded of what Bills stands for: Boy I Love Losing Seasons.

IMO, an NBA work stoppage would be much better for the NHL. The league would get way more exposure and a lost NBA season might even sway ESPN back in the NHL's direction...

So I'm not completely off topic, I think a football strike could only help the league, but college football would be the big winner

IMO, an NBA work stoppage would be much better for the NHL. The league would get way more exposure and a lost NBA season might even sway ESPN back in the NHL's direction...

So I'm not completely off topic, I think a football strike could only help the league, but college football would be the big winner

Good points all around. I don't know if I'm the only one who feels this way, but basketball just doesn't really seem all that exciting.

Who knows? Maybe it might get John Madden interested in watching a few hockey games.

I am not a big football fan. I root for the bills cuz they are the home-team but don't really care a great deal. I was thinking though, how awesome for Hockey would it be if the NFL didn't play next season? IMO it would be the best thing for hockey because it could be sold to people who cant watch football, Pegula wouldn't have to drill a gas well he would be making money cuz all that football revenue has to go somewhere right?

You are forgetting about the college game which many find a better brand of football anyway.

I have been thinking about this for a while. This is an excellent opportunity for the NHL to grow, especially since they will be working on a new TV contract. Football has been completely ruined by greedy owners and players. It is impossible to watch without a DVR due to commercials every 3 minutes. Are they really fighting over a the way to split 9 BILLION dollars? How about cut ticket prices. Bucky wrote a fantastic article on the subject last week. And can someone explain to me all the tax breaks these teams get? Didn't Erie county just have to pay to resurface the playing field?

even counting college football I feel like it will be a help for the NHL especially when it comes to national coverage like on espn and things... I feel like without football at the pro level the natural filler will be hockey and basketball because they start up at the same time. Who knows if the standoff will end before the season begins but any time the NFL looks bad it helps and hopefully it will shift just a hair of people away from one of the most boring sports ever created.. I mean one of the most exciting non stop action packed sports ever created :thumbsup:

even counting college football I feel like it will be a help for the NHL especially when it comes to national coverage like on espn and things... I feel like without football at the pro level the natural filler will be hockey and basketball because they start up at the same time. Who knows if the standoff will end before the season begins but any time the NFL looks bad it helps and hopefully it will shift just a hair of people away from one of the most boring sports ever created.. I mean one of the most exciting non stop action packed sports ever created :thumbsup:

ESPN doesn't give two ###### about the NHL unless there is a Chara hit or bench-clearing brawl. Even then coverage is minimal.

If the NFL stays locked out ESPN will beat the lockout stories into the ground, get a jump on the NBA and college basketabll seasons, and wait for the NFL to come back.

ESPN doesn't give two ###### about the NHL unless there is a Chara hit or bench-clearing brawl. Even then coverage is minimal.

If the NFL stays locked out ESPN will beat the lockout stories into the ground, get a jump on the NBA and college basketabll seasons, and wait for the NFL to come back.

They have to find a way to keep Chris Berman busy.

EDIT: I forgot to add something else: ESPN will probably cover hockey if it involves Sidney Crosby. He's like the Justin Bieber of hockey.

this.

last week, i kept track of their coverage during an episode of sportscenter, and they literally spent 40% (yes, i kept track) of their broadcast on one nba game, which included excruciatingly boring live coverage of the post-game press conference. a REGULAR SEASON GAME!!! when they came back to the anchors in the studio, they were both hunched over the table with their heads in their hands. quite comical.

45 minutes into the broadcast, they spent a grand total of 4 minutes on highlights of two of the ELEVEN nhl games that same night. in contrast, there was only two nba games. they are going out of their way to ostracize the nhl.

the best (worst) part is, they have "baseball tonight," "nfl live," "nba live," and even "MMA live," but nothing for the nhl even though it's considered one of the four major pro sports leagues in the u.s.

espn has an agenda to minimize the coverage of the sport that spurned them for OLN all those years ago. sad.

sorry for the rant. espn will fill the same amount of airtime with lockout news and other sports before it does anything resembling normal coverage of hockey.

this.

last week, i kept track of their coverage during an episode of sportscenter, and they literally spent 40% (yes, i kept track) of their broadcast on one nba game, which included excruciatingly boring live coverage of the post-game press conference. a REGULAR SEASON GAME!!! when they came back to the anchors in the studio, they were both hunched over the table with their heads in their hands. quite comical.

45 minutes into the broadcast, they spent a grand total of 4 minutes on highlights of two of the ELEVEN nhl games that same night. in contrast, there was only two nba games. they are going out of their way to ostracize the nhl.

the best (worst) part is, they have "baseball tonight," "nfl live," "nba live," and even "MMA live," but nothing for the nhl even though it's considered one of the four major pro sports leagues in the u.s.

espn has an agenda to minimize the coverage of the sport that spurned them for OLN all those years ago. sad.

sorry for the rant. espn will fill the same amount of airtime with lockout news and other sports before it does anything resembling normal coverage of hockey.

ESPN covers sports that they televise much moreso than the ones they dont have a contract for. There would be alot more coverage if they contracted with the NHL.

ESPN covers sports that they televise much moreso than the ones they dont have a contract for. There would be alot more coverage if they contracted with the NHL.

that goes without saying, as they used to broadcast "nhl2nite" all the time, and it was awesome. however, please explain the existence of "MMA live" when they don't do anything with that sport. it's a slap in the face to the nhl and clearly illustrates an agenda by the network to aggressively ignore the sport for not signing a contract for television rights.

it's embarrassing, it's wrong, and i think it's a testament to how awesome the sport and it's fans are that they are succeeding despite the lack of television coverage in the u.s.

that goes without saying, as they used to broadcast "nhl2nite" all the time, and it was awesome. however, please explain the existence of "MMA live" when they don't do anything with that sport. it's a slap in the face to the nhl and clearly illustrates an agenda by the network to aggressively ignore the sport for not signing a contract for television rights.

it's embarrassing, it's wrong, and i think it's a testament to how awesome the sport and it's fans are that they are succeeding despite the lack of television coverage in the u.s.

This!

Archived