Syracuse Time Warner HD DVR Issues - anyone else?

johnyvegas

Hey y'all. Was looking to see if anyone watching 1050 in the Syracuse market is also having trouble recording games in high-def. Sometimes it records, most times it doesn't. It looks like it's recording.. it's sitting in my DVR program list. Just won't play. Can't fast-forward. Etc. I've been dealing with it (and calling TW about it)all season and it's driving me crazy. Just want to see if anyone else is experiencing this or it's just me. I can watch games live just fine.. just wondering if anyone else has been dealing with/reporting this issue as well. Trying to build my case with TW.

I used to have DVR problems, so I got rid of cable and got a Tivo, hooked it up to my computer, and ordered Gamecenter from NHL.com. I love Tivo! And I hate cable companies. All they do is provide crappy service and raise the price on you every 6 months.

Wanted to add that this ONLY happens on channel 1050, the Sabres Channel. Everything else works and records fine... that's why i was posting this here.

I have problems with it. I can set up a recording, but when I play it back it stutters (for the whole 3 hours) and is completely unwatchable. For now I've given up: I'm sure they'll say "Just swap out your box for a new one," but we have ours nearly filled with stuff we haven't watched (but want to). Of course that situation will probably never change.

I have found that pausing does work - but after some (too short) amount of time, the pause disengages.

Thanks for bringing this up. I thought I was alone with a bad box. I can generally pay half attention real time, but I'd prefer to delay the start (to about . . . guess what time?) and focus a little more.

I used to have DVR problems, so I got rid of cable and got a Tivo, hooked it up to my computer, and ordered Gamecenter from NHL.com. I love Tivo! And I hate cable companies. All they do is provide crappy service and raise the price on you every 6 months.

That only works if you're out of market

Yes! am having the same problem, will play back but acts as though it's skipping. Will work in normal time and can DVR the game in standard def.

I have problems with it. I can set up a recording, but when I play it back it stutters (for the whole 3 hours) and is completely unwatchable. For now I've given up: I'm sure they'll say "Just swap out your box for a new one," but we have ours nearly filled with stuff we haven't watched (but want to). Of course that situation will probably never change.

I have found that pausing does work - but after some (too short) amount of time, the pause disengages.

Thanks for bringing this up. I thought I was alone with a bad box. I can generally pay half attention real time, but I'd prefer to delay the start (to about . . . guess what time?) and focus a little more.

exact same issue

I've swapped boxes out with no luck. I've had techs out three times and they can't figure it out. I spent an hour on the phone with time warner today and they have escalated the issue finally after 6 months of me complaining about it. They also said that they have not heard this issue from anyone else.. and want me to call in during a game while the problem is occurring. so it might help if anyone else dealing with this calls in to complain too. It's not your box.. help me make em fix it.

I've swapped boxes out with no luck. I've had techs out three times and they can't figure it out. I spent an hour on the phone with time warner today and they have escalated the issue finally after 6 months of me complaining about it. They also said that they have not heard this issue from anyone else.. and want me to call in during a game while the problem is occurring. so it might help if anyone else dealing with this calls in to complain too. It's not your box.. help me make em fix it.

Sometimes they make it so you can't DVR paid movie channels etc, I wonder if the channel is incorrectly setup for this.

Sometimes they make it so you can't DVR paid movie channels etc, I wonder if the channel is incorrectly setup for this.

Possible, but I doubt it: They are very good at seeing to it that restrictive policies work (and much less interested in guaranteeing implicitly permissive arrangements for their customers).

Yo ho. Just got a call from Time Warner saying that they believe they have fixed the issue with channel 1050. Should be good to go. We'll see what happens tonight.

Even though I'm watching in real time tonight (I want to see the Rangers / Sharks later), I'll record it and post how it goes.

Thanks for taking it up with them.

What irritates me to no end is the DVR not being able to adjust/auto lengthen/not record when programming has changed. Especially on Sunday nights during football season. This is 2011. How tough can it be to encode in the signal what the program actually is? If the late local news is running late bacause sports programming ran long, fix the start/stop time without a human intervention.

UPDATE: Still not working. The message i got this afternoon told me to try recording the game tomorrow and it should work. I figured they didnt realize there was a game tonight..so i tried it and no luck. Just called TW, and they told me that they are expecting to have it resolved in time for tomorrow.. not tonight. Sorry for any confusion.

UPDATE: Still not working. The message i got this afternoon told me to try recording the game tomorrow and it should work.

It worked here! For the first time in months at least, perhaps all season? I can't remember that far back. I'll report again tomorrow.

Thanks.

DVR working perfectly on 1050 for the Sens game today. No more 'balls in vice' phone calls for me with TW. Let me know if everyone else is working now too. Hope so!

Though maybe a phone call to let them know they finally got things right for you?

Archived