[OT] Giants - Vikes Game

Taro T

Watching the Vikes - Jints game, can't help but notice that the crowd seems pretty rowdy.

I know Detroit as a city is fairly broke, but they do have a fair # of corporations there. W/ the right mix of a public-private partnership and having demonstrated that enthusiasm for the sport; I think they just might be able to lure the NFL back. If they can find a way to overcome the Ford family veto that is.

And hey, if they could bring the NFL back to Michigan, maybe they'll let us get a team too.

Watching the Vikes - Jints game, can't help but notice that the crowd seems pretty rowdy.

I know Detroit as a city is fairly broke, but they do have a fair # of corporations there. W/ the right mix of a public-private partnership and having demonstrated that enthusiasm for the sport; I think they just might be able to lure the NFL back. If they can find a way to overcome the Ford family veto that is.

And hey, if they could bring the NFL back to Michigan, maybe they'll let us get a team too.

Interesting. I wonder if the city of Buffalo could ever lure the Detroit hockey franchise to town. They could even remain the Wings.

how very festive of you.

post-760-018227600 1292348130_thumb.png

(upon a second read, i see that you're just ribbing the quality of the existing franchises -- not adopting the voice of one visiting us from the future.)

Didn't they give away a lot of tickets?

From what I could tell, the entire lower bowl was full, but it didn't seem that "rowdy". They ran the wave (yes, the wave), but watching the game, it felt like they were playing inside a church.

Interesting. I wonder if the city of Buffalo could ever lure the Detroit hockey franchise to town. They could even remain the Wings.

I'm not sure if the city could lure them in, but Terry Pegula's brother Francis might be able to do it. They could even keep the 'Red' in their name as well then. ;)

:huh:

Didn't they give away a lot of tickets?

From what I could tell, the entire lower bowl was full, but it didn't seem that "rowdy". They ran the wave (yes, the wave), but watching the game, it felt like they were playing inside a church.

Yes, they gave away a lot of tix, but it's kind of hard to sell 60k seats in ~6 hours for a game later that same day. Especially in an economically downtrodden region such as Eastern Michigan. I wouldn't hold that against them.

And yes, they were doing the wave, but considering this was an historic day (the 1st time there was an NFL game in Michigan in over 10 years, and the 1st time Favre didn't start in over 25) I figured the crowd was doing a "throwback" to the way things were back when they played NFL football in Detroit and Brett Favre was just a gleem in Mike Holmgren's eye.

It was either that, or they were trying to understand and show respect for the game like the crowds for the games they play in England (or Toronto) where the people have heard of football and some have even watched it on TV but they just don't know how to react to this strange game.

Archived