(OT) World Series Thread

Eleven

I thought on the east coast that was known as the 'Angry Munchkin'?

No, the Angry Munchkin is a Boston Phenomenon. It's when one guy goes into a Dunkin Donuts and orders a 10 pack of the glazed Munchkins....because those are the most spongy and absorbant. Then douses them in tabasco sauce, and proceeds to insert them one by one into his partner's.......hang on, the phone's ringing, gotta go.....

I'm hoping for a 7 game series. There are too many unknown, extremely talented players that people need to see.

I also love the history of the NY/SF Giants and the Washington Senators/Texas Rangers.

The latter moved from one of my favorite cities to Arlington, and was owned, at one point, by one of the most corrupt people ever to walk the Earth, so no love for the Rangers from me.

But there are great players on both sides. Can't believe what happened to Texas pitching tonight.

I'm hoping for a 7 game series. There are too many unknown, extremely talented players that people need to see.

I also love the history of the NY/SF Giants and the Washington Senators/Texas Rangers.

It's strange how both the Texas Rangers and the Minnesota Twins were once different incarnations of the Washington Senators. As soon as the original Senators bolted for Minnesota after the 1960 season they were replaced by the 2nd Sens, which lasted for 10 years before heading to Texas. That always confused me as a kid and I really didn't understand it until I moved to the DC suburbs 2 years ago... and found myself working for a dude that knows every last detail about Washington pro baseball and loves to tell anyone in ear shot about it every single day that some of it finally stuck.

Stephen Strasburg and Bryce Harper notwithstanding, I wonder where the 3rd DC franchise will eventually land? If a salary cap were in place I'd love to see an MLB team in Buffalo, but it'd never survive under the current economic system.

It's strange how both the Texas Rangers and the Minnesota Twins were once different incarnations of the Washington Senators. As soon as the original Senators bolted for Minnesota after the 1960 season they were replaced by the 2nd Sens, which lasted for 10 years before heading to Texas. That always confused me as a kid and I really didn't understand it until I moved to the DC suburbs 2 years ago... and found myself working for a dude that knows every last detail about Washington pro baseball and loves to tell anyone in ear shot about it every single day that some of it finally stuck.

Stephen Strasburg and Bryce Harper notwithstanding, I wonder where the 3rd DC franchise will eventually land? If a salary cap were in place I'd love to see an MLB team in Buffalo, but it'd never survive under the current economic system.

I disagree. I think Majors would do great in Buffalo. But here's the catch: they have to be in the AL East. You need to draw the HUGE fanbase of both the Sox and the Yanks. That'd keep the attendance numbers high enough for an extended period of time for a legitimate fan base to develop, although I'm sure that many of us would jump at the chance to finally have a local team to root for (this coming from a Jays/Tigers fan). Most people here grew up with the Yanks, Mets or Sox, and when I was down in TX last week people saw the Sabres hat and immediately assumed I was Yankees fan, which I had to refute. I hate the Yankees and the Sox. I was sitting in a hotel bar cheering on the Rangers I hate them so much.

The only thing keeping an MLB team out of this city is a proper stadium. With the way this area dedicates itself to the Bills and Sabres, I have no doubt of this. Don't mention Basketball and the Braves though. The NBA is an entirely different animal when it comes to pro sports.

I disagree. I think Majors would do great in Buffalo. But here's the catch: they have to be in the AL East. You need to draw the HUGE fanbase of both the Sox and the Yanks. That'd keep the attendance numbers high enough for an extended period of time for a legitimate fan base to develop, although I'm sure that many of us would jump at the chance to finally have a local team to root for (this coming from a Jays/Tigers fan). Most people here grew up with the Yanks, Mets or Sox, and when I was down in TX last week people saw the Sabres hat and immediately assumed I was Yankees fan, which I had to refute. I hate the Yankees and the Sox. I was sitting in a hotel bar cheering on the Rangers I hate them so much.

The only thing keeping an MLB team out of this city is a proper stadium. With the way this area dedicates itself to the Bills and Sabres, I have no doubt of this. Don't mention Basketball and the Braves though. The NBA is an entirely different animal when it comes to pro sports.

I'm not sure that's the only thing. Aren't the small market franchises still struggling to keep up with the likes of the Yankees and Red Sox? If the salary cap were permanently removed from the NHL & NFL I'm not certain the Sabres and Bills would be viable in Buffalo, either.

I'm guessing if there were any chance at all for an MLB team to relocate to Buffalo local politicians would be tripping over themselves to secure funding to see that Coca Cola Field(?) would be fitted with the proper renovations and seating expansion (which it was designed to do) to accommodate the move up to the bigs. That's a guess, of course, I'm really not learned on the subject. But, I do know there are rumblings of the Tampa Bay Rays being on the move (Eleven did provide a link to the CNBC story about Buffalo being one of the best cities to relocate to... why not the Rays???). One way or another, I'd love to see Major League Baseball in Buffalo, NY but I doubt it will ever happen. I was absolutely heartbroken it didn't happen in '91, and honestly, it still stings that we were led to believe it was very close.

I'm not sure that's the only thing. Aren't the small market franchises still struggling to keep up with the likes of the Yankees and Red Sox? If the salary cap were permanently removed from the NHL & NFL I'm not certain the Sabres and Bills would be viable in Buffalo, either.

I'm guessing if there were any chance at all for an MLB team to relocate to Buffalo local politicians would be tripping over themselves to secure funding to see that Coca Cola Field(?) would be fitted with the proper renovations and seating expansion (which it was designed to do) to accommodate the move up to the bigs. That's a guess, of course, I'm really not learned on the subject. But, I do know there are rumblings of the Tampa Bay Rays being on the move (Eleven did provide a link to the CNBC story about Buffalo being one of the best cities to relocate to... why not the Rays???). One way or another, I'd love to see Major League Baseball in Buffalo, NY but I doubt it will ever happen. I was absolutely heartbroken it didn't happen in '91, and honestly, it still stings that we were led to believe it was very close.

As far as I know you are correct in that the current incarnation of Dunn Tire Park (whatever the hell they call it these days), is designed to be expanded. It is true that a salary cap system would really be necessary to make it competitive, but I feel like Buffalo is one of those cities where if someone told us we couldn't provide enough money to beat the Yanks, we'd start drinking a few less Gennys every night just to do it. We are definitely a town of people who don't like to be told we can't do something. The fact that people even buy tickets to Bills games is a testament to that. Stupidity? Maybe. Blind loyalty? Definitely.

As far as I know you are correct in that the current incarnation of Dunn Tire Park (whatever the hell they call it these days), is designed to be expanded. It is true that a salary cap system would really be necessary to make it competitive, but I feel like Buffalo is one of those cities where if someone told us we couldn't provide enough money to beat the Yanks, we'd start drinking a few less Gennys every night just to do it. We are definitely a town of people who don't like to be told we can't do something. The fact that people even buy tickets to Bills games is a testament to that. Stupidity? Maybe. Blind loyalty? Definitely.

Dude--- I'm right there with you.

It's curious that Pilot Field (I still refer to it as such, absentmindedly) is currently undergoing an expansion that will make it, officially, the MiLB stadium with the largest seating capacity. The Bisons were 8th in minor league attendance in 2010 but the average is something like 8,000--- the annual attendance is roughly half the draw of the early '90s heyday. Unless a push for a Major League team is secretly forthcoming I'm going to assume it's not necessarily for baseball.

A guy can dream, anyway.

I can't believe I missed it. I knew it was an 8pm start; turned it on at 1030 figuring I'd catch the last couple of innings. What, was there a shot clock on pitches tonight?

Cool that Frisco won.

Both starting pitchers were blowing through innings until San Fran struck in the 6th (I think it was?). Then Wilson uncorked a world of hurt on the Rangers and it was all over.

Both starting pitchers were blowing through innings until San Fran struck in the 6th (I think it was?). Then Wilson uncorked a world of hurt on the Rangers and it was all over.

I wonder if being 0-2 in the World Series will hurt Lee's chances of getting a contract from the Yankees?

Great job Giants, great young pitching. This is a team, with that pitching, can be a threat to win it all each year. They just need to find that blend of vets to fill out the roster.

I wonder if being 0-2 in the World Series will hurt Lee's chances of getting a contract from the Yankees?

It won't hurt his chances of getting an offer from anyone.

Great job Giants, great young pitching. This is a team, with that pitching, can be a threat to win it all each year. They just need to find that blend of vets to fill out the roster.

Bonds still is available. I think he's a vet.

Archived