slow start for Miller...

Rabbit151

Not a great start for Mr.AllWorld, eh? How much of it is bad bounces, how much is Miller? Any thoughts? Personally, I think they'll need a lot better out of this guy...the bad bounces and flukey goals excuses only go so far.

Team has played fairly well so far. But, really couldve buried Chicago with a goal on the 5 min pp

Not a great start for Mr.AllWorld, eh? How much of it is bad bounces, how much is Miller? Any thoughts? Personally, I think they'll need a lot better out of this guy...the bad bounces and flukey goals excuses only go so far.

Team has played fairly well so far. But, really couldve buried Chicago with a goal on the 5 min pp

Ryan Miller is the least of our worries. Don't kid yourself.

I gave Miller a pass for the Rangers game. The D let him down and it was the 2nd of a back to back outing. He gets no pass for Chicago. He was staked to a 2-0 lead. As an elite goalie, you gotta shut the door and get outta there with 2 points. The young Chicago goalie did. Certainly can't blame Miller for all the goals but still, two home games, 9 goals against. He's not in mid-season form.

Once again, it seems like the lack of a PP is killing us. I think they had 1 shot on the five min. one last night. That's unacceptable. That, and, Vanek needs to start burying some of those shots in front of the net. Like the other poster said, Miller is the least of our worrys.

As usual, it's a combination of many factors. Like you said the PP is not burying anything, the D is not playing well as a unit and Miller is not playing at the crazy high level he usually does to bail everyone out. It's not just one thing.

Most goalies don't fare very well going 1-on-1 with Marian Hossa, especially when Hossa has enough room and time to do what he wants with the puck. If the goalie does make the play, it's more luck than skill.

come on dude enough already. miller should have made that save and he didnt. thats it.

come on dude enough already. miller should have made that save and he didnt. thats it.

Easier said than done against a sniper like Hossa. I agree that Miller is not up to snuff, but allowing a goal on a clean breakaway from a known scorer like Hossa? Not too many other goalies out there would want to be in that situation (and most probably couldn't stop Hossa, either). That being said, Miller does not look like his old self. Of course, the rest of the team doesn't either (actually, they never looked all that good). Let's hope that the team just needs a little time to jell and they will soon turn it around... :rolleyes:

miller needs to learn how to finish. im sick of the garbage goals.

Ha ha ha. Spoken like someone who probably only listens to the games on the radio. Miller has been more than solid. He bailed out the Sabres multiple times but if you keep coughing up the puck you're gonna get scored on. Blame the guys in front of him. They're the ones standing around with the WTF look on their faces.

PTR

Easier said than done against a sniper like Hossa. I agree that Miller is not up to snuff, but allowing a goal on a clean breakaway from a known scorer like Hossa? Not too many other goalies out there would want to be in that situation (and most probably couldn't stop Hossa, either). That being said, Miller does not look like his old self. Of course, the rest of the team doesn't either (actually, they never looked all that good). Let's hope that the team just needs a little time to jell and they will soon turn it around... :rolleyes:

im talkin about the other goal.

Ha ha ha. Spoken like someone who probably only listens to the games on the radio. Miller has been more than solid. He bailed out the Sabres multiple times but if you keep coughing up the puck you're gonna get scored on. Blame the guys in front of him. They're the ones standing around with the WTF look on their faces.

PTR

can the people who praise miller for once admit that he doesnt always play good. some of you people act like hes your family member or somethin. its not always the defenses fault.

im talkin about the other goal.

Ah, well... After the third Hawks goal, I gave my friend a call to chew the fat and only had the game on in the background. I only half saw the goal you are referring to. And yes, Miller probably should have stopped it. Sorry, it's been a long day...

Because "the core" will continue to grow and develop.

No need for a guy like Hossa when you have "the core", obviously.

Didn't Regier say on WGR last season that you don't win Stanley Cups by signing players like Hossa? Don't expect a Hossa type signing until the Sabres have a GM in place that can recognize the value of talent. He much rather keep feeding a scrub like Connolly millions than actually pay a legit NHL star like Hossa.

can the people who praise miller for once admit that he doesnt always play good. some of you people act like hes your family member or somethin. its not always the defenses fault.

I can see I'm really going to have to go into detail here.

First, this is not so much sticking up for Miller as trying to get people to look past the stats. Stats lie, big time. Look at Ryan Fitzpatrick on the Bills. His stats make him look like a pretty good QB, but anyone watching the games knows he's racking those numbers up in garbage time.

People look at Miller giving up 10 goals in two games and assume he's the problem, but totally ignore the way his team is playing in front of him. You can make the greatest goalie look like swiss cheese if you play like orange traffic cones. Look at every goal given up by the Sabres and you'll see either turnover, a failure to clear the zone or a failure to defend the front of the net.

In fact we are so used to seeing Miller standing on his head we don't even notice anymore when he does something spectacular to save his gob-smacked teammates, who can usually be found skating into the play a half-second late.

Does Miller let in some softies? Every goalie does. But if you think Miller is why we've lost these last two games then you aren't paying attention.

PTR

Who else would you rather see in net? Enroth? Lalime? The rest of the team needs to clean up it's game and tighten up on D. Or would you rather go the Bills route and see the equivalent likes of Fitz or Brohm as the guy? Or Edwards, Losman, etc etc. He should only need to play well not ridiculous for us to win games. Don't worry about Miller, worry about the way the other guys are playing like crap.

Didn't Regier say on WGR last season that you don't win Stanley Cups by signing players like Hossa? Don't expect a Hossa type signing until the Sabres have a GM in place that can recognize the value of talent. He much rather keep feeding a scrub like Connolly millions than actually pay a legit NHL star like Hossa.

Wasn't the quote something along the lines of "when was the last time a big free agent signing actually won a cup, or worked out" or something.

I forget, the man talks so much crap I stopped listening years ago.

I can see I'm really going to have to go into detail here.

First, this is not so much sticking up for Miller as trying to get people to look past the stats. Stats lie, big time. Look at Ryan Fitzpatrick on the Bills. His stats make him look like a pretty good QB, but anyone watching the games knows he's racking those numbers up in garbage time.

People look at Miller giving up 10 goals in two games and assume he's the problem, but totally ignore the way his team is playing in front of him. You can make the greatest goalie look like swiss cheese if you play like orange traffic cones. Look at every goal given up by the Sabres and you'll see either turnover, a failure to clear the zone or a failure to defend the front of the net.

In fact we are so used to seeing Miller standing on his head we don't even notice anymore when he does something spectacular to save his gob-smacked teammates, who can usually be found skating into the play a half-second late.

Does Miller let in some softies? Every goalie does. But if you think Miller is why we've lost these last two games then you aren't paying attention.

PTR

What he said.

I watched all of the OTT, a period of the NYR and last 2 periods of CHI and agree with this assessment. I know it has also been mentioned in the game threads specifically concerning the poor D play but I also say that right now the loss of Tallinder and Lydman looks more than I thought it would in the overall way the D is playing.

MeyerII < MeyerI, Morrison has not yet been better than Tallinder, No one has picked up on the hits Lydman left off. Rivet seems to be playing tentative/weak with that shoulder and slow. Sekera Fine, Leopold Fine, and Monty adequate. Nobody is stepping up right now on D the way they need.

I would be fine for getting Weber and Butler some ice time and a chance but the quandry is when your still forming your D's chemistry and timing how many changes do you make in one game and expect to see good results.

Archived