Video of Pens new arena

nobody

Arena envy.

No surprise that a world-class, championship organization (small-market and formerly bankrupt, too) ends up with a world-class arena. Also not a surprise that Buffalo ended up with a mediocrity.

Love this.

How long did the ownership/management of the Penguins walk on that crutch?

People here do realise that it took a bunch of years of the Pens being REALLY bad, and getting top 5 picks (plus the luck of winning the top pick in the Crosby sweepstakes) to get where they currently are. Its not hard to build a solid base of young talent when you pick a bunch of years in the top couple of spots. Fleury, Crosby, Malkin, Staal

People here do realise that it took a bunch of years of the Pens being REALLY bad, and getting top 5 picks (plus the luck of winning the top pick in the Crosby sweepstakes) to get where they currently are. Its not hard to build a solid base of young talent when you pick a bunch of years in the top couple of spots. Fleury, Crosby, Malkin, Staal

And?

Arena envy.

No surprise that a world-class, championship organization (small-market and formerly bankrupt, too) ends up with a world-class arena. Also not a surprise that Buffalo ended up with a mediocrity.

If the Sabres had that arena, would you not go to that one as well? :nana:

The only thing that arena has that I would want in HSBC is a Stanley Cup banner.

Did you know the players get mini Stanley Cups?

Looks like a nice place. Too bad it is going to be full of Pens fans. :)

From the Pittsburgh Podt-Gazzette

Consol Energy Center

Very nice! Look forward to going there when I visit family and friends in Pittsburgh.

And?

You develop a Stanley Cup winning contending organization. The Sabres can learn a lot from the Penguins.

If the Sabres had that arena, would you not go to that one as well? :nana:

The only thing that arena has that I would want in HSBC is a Stanley Cup banner.

:worthy: :clapping: :beer:

I would recommend a hooligan chamber so we can carry out business when some individuals fail to do good work for the Sabres.

Let's say it WAS their strategy. Pretty ballsy -- and it worked! Compare to Sabres' "strategy" for winning a Cup.

Let's say it WAS their strategy. Pretty ballsy -- and it worked! Compare to Sabres' "strategy" for winning a Cup.

I think it has more to do with financial concerns. Seems like the history of the Pens has had this cyclical pattern over a decade or so of not having money so they trade away all of their good players and bottom out. Then they get top picks like Lemieux in the 80s and now Crosby/Malkin et al and they win - lucky for them they seem to be bad just in time for the real superstars. So I guess we can expect them to be trading away the players around 2015 and getting the top picks again by 2017.

I was there on thursday, seeing Paul McCartney, and it is a nice arena. Some of the cool things are that the top deck is similar to the way the oranges were at The Aud... being you walk around the top of the seats and the concessions are up there and then walk down to your seats. We had floor seats so I didn't walk around the actual arena too much but what I saw is really nice. It actually looks small when inside, which I guess is a good thing for watching events, the top seats are really steep and I heard several people complain about how steep they are... but I don't think that's a bad thing, that's better for watching in my opinion.

One thing I thought was strange, didn't mind just thought it was odd, was the soft drink option for a cola was RC Cola :blink: . I'm glad it wasn't Coca-Cola, which I HATE but I was kind of amused that this new great place has a contract with RC Cola. I bought my $4.00 20oz bottle and enjoyed it NOT being Coke, but found it amusing... Maybe it won't stay like that and they only did that for this first event, I guess we'll see... I kind of hope it stays that way. Good for RC Cola getting some big business! HA!

And?

My point is just that this "World Class" organisation had to go through many bad seasons (and some serious luck), and flirt with Bankruptcy in order to get where they are today with this new arena. Its not like this is a team that has always been around the top of the league, like say the Red Wings, and are a team that built there team in a way everyone should follow.

My point is just that this "World Class" organisation had to go through many bad seasons (and some serious luck), and flirt with Bankruptcy in order to get where they are today with this new arena. Its not like this is a team that has always been around the top of the league, like say the Red Wings, and are a team that built there team in a way everyone should follow.

I would also add that they threatened the city with relocation (to KC and Hamilton), shafted their biggest star (which led to him becoming an owner), and sold off all their talent from their previous dynasty. This "World Class" organization was last in the league in attendance heading into the lockout.

I'd bet that Pittsburgh Penguin fans have been entertained more the last 20 years than Buffalo Sabres fans!

Oh the horror! Oh the humanity! Get the pitchforks! Oops, the old man did it again!

Outrageous!

I'll bet that the Pittsburgh Penguins have been closer to relocating more times than the Buffalo Sabres over the last 20 years. However, that's exciting too, in it's own way.

All I know is that the Sabres also have gone though many bad seasons, have also flirted with bankruptcy, yet have no Stanley Cups, so what's the problem with where the Pens are?

I'll bet that the Pittsburgh Penguins have been closer to relocating more times than the Buffalo Sabres over the last 20 years. However, that's exciting too, in it's own way.

The Pens must be like a illicit drug for their fans - they either get these super highs from winning the Cup or they get these bad trips where the team almost moves.

I was there on thursday, seeing Paul McCartney, and it is a nice arena. Some of the cool things are that the top deck is similar to the way the oranges were at The Aud... being you walk around the top of the seats and the concessions are up there and then walk down to your seats. We had floor seats so I didn't walk around the actual arena too much but what I saw is really nice. It actually looks small when inside, which I guess is a good thing for watching events, the top seats are really steep and I heard several people complain about how steep they are... but I don't think that's a bad thing, that's better for watching in my opinion.

One thing I thought was strange, didn't mind just thought it was odd, was the soft drink option for a cola was RC Cola :blink: . I'm glad it wasn't Coca-Cola, which I HATE but I was kind of amused that this new great place has a contract with RC Cola. I bought my $4.00 20oz bottle and enjoyed it NOT being Coke, but found it amusing... Maybe it won't stay like that and they only did that for this first event, I guess we'll see... I kind of hope it stays that way. Good for RC Cola getting some big business! HA!

I think RC Cola is still pretty big in Western Pennsylvania. My parents are from a small town in Western PA; when I was a kid and we went down to visit family, you saw RC Cola sold in a lot more places than Coke (and Pepsi was almost impossible to find).

I can't remember the last time I saw RC Cola in the store. I also can't remember what it tastes like. Anyone?

Don't know how it happened, but I've become a Diet Coke-aholic. I need one a day, or I just don't feel mentally sharp. :)

I can't remember the last time I saw RC Cola in the store. I also can't remember what it tastes like. Anyone?

Don't know how it happened, but I've become a Diet Coke-aholic. I need one a day, or I just don't feel mentally sharp. :)

From what I recall (I haven't seen it in the store for a while, either), it is not as sweet as Pepsi, and it doesn't have the complex flavors of Coke. You can definitely tell the difference, though. (If anyone out there is old enough, there was an episode of "All in the Family" where Archie Bunker challenges his son-in-law (aka, "Meathead") to taste each of the three colas and tell which is which. Of course, Meathead tasted all three and immediately identified them correctly.)

From what I recall (I haven't seen it in the store for a while, either), it is not as sweet as Pepsi, and it doesn't have the complex flavors of Coke. You can definitely tell the difference, though. (If anyone out there is old enough, there was an episode of "All in the Family" where Archie Bunker challenges his son-in-law (aka, "Meathead") to taste each of the three colas and tell which is which. Of course, Meathead tasted all three and immediately identified them correctly.)

Is there anything better than warm cream soda?

Doesn't Arby's have RC Cola? I know they used too, but maybe they have caught up with the times. Of course if I'm at Arby's I'm going for the Jamocha Shake myself.

I have also become a Diet Coke head. I used to like Pepsi, now it's only Diet Coke.

Archived