Dallas @ Buffalo Game 6 (1999) on NHL network

thesportsbuff

On a sidenote, I found this a little funny :

http://www.hockeynut...bufdalG6bx.html

I direct your attention to the 3rd OT stats :)

Too bad we can't input the Game 7 Boxscore.

Second OT

Penalties:

Buffalo: None

Dallas: B. Hull--Diving at 11:57

Scoring

Buffalo: Peca from Ward and Zhitnik (PP) (GWG) at 13:21

Dallas: None

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got Bob Swados' book "Counsel in the Crease." Wow, that's some dense and difficult reading. But, actually, written in a beautiful and elegant way.

Kind of skipped around and finally made my way to the chapter on No Goal, seeking some additional clarity on the situation. Got none. Roby's expression "a hound's breakfast" comes to mind.

The description of the goal is weak, as most of them are, but Swados has Jay McKee falling during the scramble. McKee wasn't on the ice.

Swados goes into "what should have happened" during the review process. He talks about what Lindy Ruff expected to happen, as if Ruff's complaint came immediately after the goal.

"The Sabres would request review; the referee would call upstairs to the video judge; that judge, applying the normal 'man in the crease' prohibition, would disallow the goal; and play would continue."

As Taro has pointed out, the call was not for the guys upstairs to make.

"If the replay judge ever uttered a judgment, no one heard it, and the attempt by Ruff to get a reversal of the referee's call was rebuffed," he wrote. Huh? The refs stood by the scorer's table for two and a half minutes, probably longer than the average video review that season. Weren't they in communication with the guys upstairs? It may not have been Lewis' call to make (although he was the supervisor of officials), but when he made it, certainly the ref on the phone heard it. Isn't that why they skated away?

The insinuation of Ruff's "attempt" in that sentence is deceitful. Swados has a brilliant mind and writes clearly. He wants to give the impression Ruff had already made the "attempt" while still being able to say, no, he meant Ruff's later attempt.

Did Swados really want the league to act on Ruff's attempt minutes later, after the call had been made and the game officially ended? Maybe. A chapter shortly thereafter about No Goal II reveals Swados wrote a memo for John Rigas to consider in which the Sabres would ask for a replay of the game. Rigas never sent the letter. In the memo, Swados argues that when the league says no goal can be overturned once play has resumed, he tries to argue that this is not a league rule, but a league policy that can be tossed aside.

Anyway, I'd encourage folks to find this book. I got it for $2.99! Lots of good behind the scenes stuff on the Rigases, LQ and his attempt to bring in Terry O'Reilly, the Nolan-Muckler feud and how it played out behind closed doors. Some weird factual errors, like the Nolan rally taking place in Niagara Square and the Sabres playing their first game in 1969, but, hey, the guy's older than dirt. I can relate.

Finally got Bob Swados' book "Counsel in the Crease." Wow, that's some dense and difficult reading. But, actually, written in a beautiful and elegant way.

Kind of skipped around and finally made my way to the chapter on No Goal, seeking some additional clarity on the situation. Got none. Roby's expression "a hound's breakfast" comes to mind.

The description of the goal is weak, as most of them are, but Swados has Jay McKee falling during the scramble. McKee wasn't on the ice.

Swados goes into "what should have happened" during the review process. He talks about what Lindy Ruff expected to happen, as if Ruff's complaint came immediately after the goal.

"The Sabres would request review; the referee would call upstairs to the video judge; that judge, applying the normal 'man in the crease' prohibition, would disallow the goal; and play would continue."

As Taro has pointed out, the call was not for the guys upstairs to make.

"If the replay judge ever uttered a judgment, no one heard it, and the attempt by Ruff to get a reversal of the referee's call was rebuffed," he wrote. Huh? The refs stood by the scorer's table for two and a half minutes, probably longer than the average video review that season. Weren't they in communication with the guys upstairs? It may not have been Lewis' call to make (although he was the supervisor of officials), but when he made it, certainly the ref on the phone heard it. Isn't that why they skated away?

The insinuation of Ruff's "attempt" in that sentence is deceitful. Swados has a brilliant mind and writes clearly. He wants to give the impression Ruff had already made the "attempt" while still being able to say, no, he meant Ruff's later attempt.

Did Swados really want the league to act on Ruff's attempt minutes later, after the call had been made and the game officially ended? Maybe. A chapter shortly thereafter about No Goal II reveals Swados wrote a memo for John Rigas to consider in which the Sabres would ask for a replay of the game. Rigas never sent the letter. In the memo, Swados argues that when the league says no goal can be overturned once play has resumed, he tries to argue that this is not a league rule, but a league policy that can be tossed aside.

Anyway, I'd encourage folks to find this book. I got it for $2.99! Lots of good behind the scenes stuff on the Rigases, LQ and his attempt to bring in Terry O'Reilly, the Nolan-Muckler feud and how it played out behind closed doors. Some weird factual errors, like the Nolan rally taking place in Niagara Square and the Sabres playing their first game in 1969, but, hey, the guy's older than dirt. I can relate.

Darn, I'd always wanted to read that book, but if that is a typical example of the accuracy of what's in it, I'd rather read somebody from here's review of it; as they'd probably correct most of the mistakes.

Gregson is on record as to NOT making that call (even though it was his to make). If Swados thought he made the call, then I'd rather read Toddkaz's version; at least that should be entertaining (in a car wreck, just poke my eye out now sort of way).

Archived