Team Depth

Vanek Nation

Here is my plea for another top 6 forward... because this team can be scary good (at least offensively) with just one more piece to the puzzle up front.

Line one: Vanek / Roy / (Zherdev)

Line two: ennis / connolly / pommers

Line three: Hecht / Nieds / Grier

Line four: Kaleta / Goose / options... u got kennedy, staff, gerbe

Zherdev is who has been talked about recently as a possibility (although flyers might have the edge right now), but having him would complete the top 6 with 6 solid guys - please don't whine about "the core" with this comment. We would have 2 equally potent scoring lines, a 3rd line of vets/defensive forwards, and a 4th line of grinders with a bit of offensive upside. Its well within our capabilities to grab a guy making about 4 or less per year up front to fill in this role. It gives us a plethora of depth up front, especially cause finding a spot other than a top 6 spot for guys like gerbe and kennedy would be hard, but thats not a bad problem to have with an entire summer left to tweak the roster a bit.

There aren't many teams that can boast a lineup offensively that strong and that deep. I think the addition of another top dog would benefit the rest of the guys (pommers/roy/vanek) by putting a little bit less of the scoring pressure on them individually, and making sure that they would always have suitable linemates on either of the top 2 lines.

Here is my plea for another top 6 forward... because this team can be scary good (at least offensively) with just one more piece to the puzzle up front.

Zherdev is who has been talked about recently as a possibility (although flyers might have the edge right now), but having him would complete the top 6 with 6 solid guys - please don't whine about "the core" with this comment. We would have 2 equally potent scoring lines, a 3rd line of vets/defensive forwards, and a 4th line of grinders with a bit of offensive upside. Its well within our capabilities to grab a guy making about 4 or less per year up front to fill in this role. It gives us a plethora of depth up front, especially cause finding a spot other than a top 6 spot for guys like gerbe and kennedy would be hard, but thats not a bad problem to have with an entire summer left to tweak the roster a bit.

There aren't many teams that can boast a lineup offensively that strong and that deep. I think the addition of another top dog would benefit the rest of the guys (pommers/roy/vanek) by putting a little bit less of the scoring pressure on them individually, and making sure that they would always have suitable linemates on either of the top 2 lines.

I think you undervalue Kennedy. They see him in a much larger role.

Does anyone have a idea what depth is? Apparently not. Depth is having so much talent that there are playing on lessor lines. It's having player that should be on top line finding themselves on the second. Second line players playing on the third line. Third line players on the fourth and fourth line players not making your lineup. The Sabres don't have depth. Collecting third and fourth line guys doesn't give you depth no matter how many you have.

I must have been confused by Lindy's previous comments. I thought he said "you need to roll four lines to win." Apparently he said "you need to roll fourth lines to win." :doh:

That 3rd line scares the ###### out of me, and who exactly is going to go into the corners to retrieve pucks and do the dirty work on the wall on that second line of yours? Ennis is game, I am sure, but he will get carted off on a stretcher while Connolly looks off disinterestedly and pommers chews his mouth guard.

Does anyone have a idea what depth is? Apparently not. Depth is having so much talent that there are playing on lessor lines. It's having player that should be on top line finding themselves on the second. Second line players playing on the third line. Third line players on the fourth and fourth line players not making your lineup. The Sabres don't have depth. Collecting third and fourth line guys doesn't give you depth no matter how many you have.

There was a team I really liked in 2005-06 that had this kind of depth. So did Detroit when they won the Cup in 2008. But I really liked that team in '05-'06.

There was a team I really liked in 2005-06 that had this kind of depth. So did Detroit when they won the Cup in 2008. But I really liked that team in '05-'06.

Funny thing, the point leader of that team was Max. I think you meant '06 -'07. That team had a 30 goal scorer on the second line. The current team didn't produce a 30 goal scorer. It took a crazy run by Vanek to get close.

I think you undervalue Kennedy. They see him in a much larger role.

I completely agree tom, they do see him in a much larger role. However, looking through rose colored glasses doesn't necessarily make it reality.

• 6 months later...

Archived