Let's hope the Sabres play it smarter this year

Bullwinkle

After last year's debacle, I'm hoping the Sabres display some common sense in this year's draft.

You all recall our selection of Kassian (a terrible choice IMO), who models himself after Bertuzzi (now there's a red flag if I've ever seen one) at the expense of picking Kulikov, who is doing quite nicely in Florida (who snapped him up right after our selection).

I know the Sabres have a European aversion, but to ignore Kulikov was stupid. And to think that Kassian would be the next Neeley (or whomever they thought he would be) was also misguided.

Now here we are a year later. Negotiations have been broken off with Kassian and we are again setting our sights on some rough and tough player. Let's hope saner heads prevail this time and they take the best player available, not another Bertuzzi.

After last year's debacle, I'm hoping the Sabres display some common sense in this year's draft.

You all recall our selection of Kassian (a terrible choice IMO), who models himself after Bertuzzi (now there's a red flag if I've ever seen one) at the expense of picking Kulikov, who is doing quite nicely in Florida (who snapped him up right after our selection).

I know the Sabres have a European aversion, but to ignore Kulikov was stupid. And to think that Kassian would be the next Neeley (or whomever they thought he would be) was also misguided.

Now here we are a year later. Negotiations have been broken off with Kassian and we are again setting our sights on some rough and tough player. Let's hope saner heads prevail this time and they take the best player available, not another Bertuzzi.

Negotiations have been stopped...for now, which really doesn't matter since he was likely to play in juniors again next year anyway. Perhaps you like Kulikov more, and that's fine, but let's not act like we know anything more in regards to Kassian's potential from 1 season in Juniors in which he only played 38 games (and scored 12 goals). Also, the only time I heard anything with regards to Bertuzzi was that Kassian did not have the potential to score as many goals as he. Most of the comparisons made were to Lucic, he is someone who will score 15-20 and bring a physical game. He is what they thought he would be.

Negotiations have been stopped for now, which really doesn't matter since he was likely to play in juniors again next year anyway. Perhaps you like Kulikov more, and that's fine, but let's not act like we know anything more in regards to Kassian's potential from 1 season in Juniors in which he only played 38 games (and scored 12 goals). Also, the only time I heard anything with regards to Bertuzzi was that Kassian did not have the potential to score as many goals as he. Most of the comparisons made were to Lucic, he is someone who will score 15-20 and bring a physical game. He is what they thought he would be.

Indeed. It's way too early to draw any kind of conclusions about either Kassian or Kulikov.

Indeed. It's way too early to draw any kind of conclusions about either Kassian or Kulikov.

I disagree. Kassian stated before last year's draft that his "role model" was Bertuzzi. And we all know what Bertuzzi is famous for. The fact that Kassian is still a kid in a man's body only reinforces his statement.

Kulikov was considered a shoe-in for the top 5-8 picks and yet fell into the Sabre's hands. And they fumbled the ball. How good is he? He's a starter in his rookie year. Sure it's with the Pathers, but it's still the NHL. I'd like to think that if they had to do it over again, they'd take Kulikov in a heartbeat. You can always use another defenseman.

I don't pretend to be an expert in drafting rookies, but even I could see that they chose the wrong guy.

I disagree. Kassian stated before last year's draft that his "role model" was Bertuzzi. And we all know what Bertuzzi is famous for. The fact that Kassian is still a kid in a man's body only reinforces his statement.

Kulikov was considered a shoe-in for the top 5-8 picks and yet fell into the Sabre's hands. And they fumbled the ball. How good is he? He's a starter in his rookie year. Sure it's with the Pathers, but it's still the NHL. I'd like to think that if they had to do it over again, they'd take Kulikov in a heartbeat. You can always use another defenseman.

I don't pretend to be an expert in drafting rookies, but even I could see that they chose the wrong guy.

Not a chance in ######. Kassian is the legit bad-a$$ this team desperately needs. I don't need Kassian to be Bertuzzi. I just want him to be Zack Kassian and that will be enough for me.

We know what Bertuzzi is famous for, but I'm highly confident that's not the part that Kassian wants to emulate.

Kulikov did indeed break in right away and play a lot for a really bad NHL team. However, Kassian put up good offensive numbers (27 pts in 31 games) and seemed to have a pretty substantial role on a junior team that had a very good year. It's quite possible that he develops into a very good NHL player with the size and toughness the Sabres really need.

Not a chance in ######. Kassian is the legit bad-a$ this team desperately needs. I don't need Kassian to be Bertuzzi. I just want him to be Zack Kassian and that will be enough for me.

Let's hope so. He's certainly got the attitude, but again it's too early to know whether he can play in the NHL.

We know what Bertuzzi is famous for, but I'm highly confident that's not the part that Kassian wants to emulate.

Kulikov did indeed break in right away and play a lot for a really bad NHL team. However, Kassian put up good offensive numbers (27 pts in 31 games) and seemed to have a pretty substantial role on a junior team that had a very good year. It's quite possible that he develops into a very good NHL player with the size and toughness the Sabres really need.

Let's hope so. He's certainly got the attitude, but again it's too early to know whether he can play in the NHL.

I hear ya. He also needs to keep it out of the bars and leave it on the ice. Someone needs to tell him not to give away for free what the NHL is willing to pay him for.

I really wonder why the Sabres drafted Kassian? Was it to appease the fans? BW might have it right, Regier was probably drooling over a player like Kulikov. I wonder if the front office felt some pressure to bring toughness into the organization.

I hear ya. He also needs to keep it out of the bars and leave it on the ice. Someone needs to tell him not to give away for free what the NHL is willing to pay him for.

I really wonder why the Sabres drafted Kassian? Was it to appease the fans? BW might have it right, Regier was probably drooling over a player like Kulikov. I wonder if the front office felt some pressure to bring toughness into the organization.

The Vogl article on the front page quoted someone in the front office as saying they would have drafted a european if Kassian wasn't available. I think it's a safe bet that the european would have been Kulikov. The swedes went a bit later in that first round.

Archived