I would not be shocked to see Lindy Ruff leave this team

navybillsfan

Being a fan gives me a right to voice my opinion. Knowledge that I'm not a GM/Coach/Owner/Player/etc hinders me from really knowing what goes on behind the curtains. So rather than making decisions about things I just can't back up, I'm going to throw out a few opinions:

1. If we lose Ruff and end up with a revolving door of coaches like the Bills then we're going to lose our team. The Sabres cannot survive a run like that in today's market.

2. Ruff is a very good coach and Darcy is a good GM, but right now I don't think they're styles are working together. Something has to change. I will be sad if that means that Ruff goes. I like him. However, something has to change between these two.

3. Many of our players let us down. I am not going to blame the coach for that. They are paid a lot of money to show up and play. Many of the players left their hearts on the bus and there's no excuse for that. Absolutely none whatsoever and it pisses me off just thinking about it. I pay good money to watch my team and wear their gear. Watching the team and following them in the news and on this board takes up a good part of my life. I give and give and give for free. They get paid and they couldn't find it in themselves to show up. Not acceptable!

That's all for now...getting too worked up.

Can the admins just make a rule that if someone backs inept leadership we just shut them out?

Because obviously they don't really have a clue as to what they speak on, they just defend the status quo over and over and attempt to blow their egos out over any type of change.

Please just see reality already. School doesn't let out for you, does it now? b-by :beer: :beer: :beer:

Only if the same holds true for those who suggest we should replace our coaching staff with the French Connection and our GM with Pat LaFontaine.

The point to be made was that you could throw any name in their and they could have achieved the same level of success as the Regier/Ruff era has.

Oh, you will probably say well, you and I couldn't coach a team to the ECF's or win a Division Title, blah, blah blah, blah.

All of those things are merely means to an end. What end would that be? How about a Stanley Cup Championship by the Buffalo Sabres.

Ya, I'd say the French Connection, Pat Lafontaine, me, you, cindy, sandy or anyone else could have achieved the same amount of success as Regier/Ruff era has. At the end of the day, beyond what your fantasy world portrays to you in your own mind, teams play the game to win it all, GM's and Coaches are brought in to be tools to effectively win championships.

Whats that? I too do not see any Stanley Cup Championship banners in the rafters at HSBC Arena. I would have to deduce (because, ya know, I do have an opinion, even if you don't agree with it) that the Regier/Ruff era has been a failure.

I don't care about Division Titles, 3rd in conference, 3 ECF appearances, 1 stanley cup appearance. Those mean nothing, you have to win it all, thats your job as GM/Coach. Just to point out one last time, I could have achieved the same as this regime has..... NO STANLEY CUPS!

Ya, I'd say the French Connection, Pat Lafontaine, me, you, cindy, sandy or anyone else could have achieved the same amount of success as Regier/Ruff era has. At the end of the day, beyond what your fantasy world portrays to you in your own mind, teams play the game to win it all, GM's and Coaches are brought in to be tools to effectively win championships.

Call me out for focusing on one single line again, but this one sticks out like a sore thumb. You've mentioned before that you run some kind of business. You of all people should realize that the goal here isn't to win championships. It's to make money. Sure, some owners might have more of a pride factor than others, but at the end of the day, the vast majority of professional sport owners are out there to make money. For every one of us on here, I'm willing to bet there are 10-100 people who just want to have a good time at these games. The money talks, they must be doing something right.

Call me out for focusing on one single line again, but this one sticks out like a sore thumb. You've mentioned before that you run some kind of business. You of all people should realize that the goal here isn't to win championships. It's to make money. Sure, some owners might have more of a pride factor than others, but at the end of the day, the vast majority of professional sport owners are out there to make money. For every one of us on here, I'm willing to bet there are 10-100 people who just want to have a good time at these games. The money talks, they must be doing something right.

OSP out to make money? I dunno about that. He was a multi billionaire before buying the team. He'll sell the team at some point and make a tidy little profit, but hardly enough to even be noticed in his vast treasure chest. Something else motivates guys who want to own sports teams. It could be doing something for a community; helping a political career; taking on the challenge of turning a team around; or even, God forbid, winning a Stanley Cup.

OSP out to make money? I dunno about that. He was a multi billionaire before buying the team. He'll sell the team at some point and make a tidy little profit, but hardly enough to even be noticed in his vast treasure chest. Something else motivates guys who want to own sports teams. It could be doing something for a community; helping a political career; taking on the challenge of turning a team around; or even, God forbid, winning a Stanley Cup.

This is correct. Said it before & I'll say it again: the real return on investment in a sports franchise comes at the time of sale, not during the ownership.

Sports Franchises are no different than my business. And you would be correct, they are here as an entertainment tool to make money. But, like any business, with or without stock holders, the goal every fiscal year is to maximize profitability. In the case of the NHL, the Buffalo Sabres maximize a fiscal years profits by winning a championship.

It is common sense that winning a championship would increase marketability of the organization. Thereby increasind the bottom line.

At the end of the day, as I said, you are correct, it is a business no different than mine. But don't lull yourself into thinking that its satisfying to make it to the playoffs or be a Division Title holder, as I stated, maximizing profits to the fullest potential is to field a contender as often as possible with the ability to actually win it all.

Whats the matter, mommy didn't change your daiper, so you can't handle the criticism of a team 12 years without a championship under the same management.

Can the admins just make a rule that if someone backs inept leadership we just shut them out?

Because obviously they don't really have a clue as to what they speak on, they just defend the status quo over and over and attempt to blow their egos out over any type of change.

Please just see reality already. School doesn't let out for you, does it now? b-by :beer: :beer: :beer:

Has nothing to do with handling criticism. In fact, maybe I agree with you. My comment was that when people say they are going to 'leave and never come back' if their team doesn't do...._______fill in the blank_________,

then they just keep coming back and whining and crying and giving threats. Just be good on your word and leave. You think I'm happy with the status of the team??? C'mon. I just don't give idle threats. Move on already. I hear the Coyotes are looking for fans.

Sports Franchises are no different than my business. And you would be correct, they are here as an entertainment tool to make money. But, like any business, with or without stock holders, the goal every fiscal year is to maximize profitability. In the case of the NHL, the Buffalo Sabres maximize a fiscal years profits by winning a championship.

It is common sense that winning a championship would increase marketability of the organization. Thereby increasind the bottom line.

At the end of the day, as I said, you are correct, it is a business no different than mine. But don't lull yourself into thinking that its satisfying to make it to the playoffs or be a Division Title holder, as I stated, maximizing profits to the fullest potential is to field a contender as often as possible with the ability to actually win it all.

Is the risk worth the reward though? And as far as building a contender goes, fielding a division champion has to create a decent public perception as a contender, doesn't it? The more dedicated fan may see through it, but your casuals (the vast majority) will see them on top of the division and think hey, they must be pretty good.

Is the risk worth the reward though? And as far as building a contender goes, fielding a division champion has to create a decent public perception as a contender, doesn't it? The more dedicated fan may see through it, but your casuals (the vast majority) will see them on top of the division and think hey, they must be pretty good.

This team is no better than the Flutie led Bills teams. :pirate:

Archived