Does the News keep this article as a template?

PASabreFan

Why is NJ's record pointless? I'll tell you why, the New Jersey Devils "ARE NOT" the Buffalo Sabres. Kovalchuk would have improved the Buffalo Sabres more so than the NJ Devils. In case you haven't noticed the Devils already had 3 offensive players at the 50 point mark. There offense is more "consistent" then Buffalo's, thats why they have been the better defensive team out of the 2.

Kovalchuk was worth the rental to bring in additional firepower on the offense. And I'm sure come playoff time, he won't dissappoint. As for Buffalo, ya, they should have landed him, if not him, than Darcy should have pitched for Boyes/Sharp/Penner/Horton and the list can go on, but the point is there for all to see. Raffi Torres? Come on man, this is another one of Darcy's "MINOR MOVES" that was more to get something for Paetsch, but not really. Its for the fans, and this time, from what I can see at the games, speaking with fans and countless forums, the fans aren't biting this season.

How can anyone know Kovy would've improved the Sabres more than the Devils? Why, exactly, was he "worth the rental" price? Has it led to wins for NJ? And how on earth can you be "sure come playoff time, he won't disappoint?" He's played in a total of 4 playoff games and won zero.

And castigating Darcy for not trading for 4 guys who weren't traded is crazy -- especially Penner, who has been a career disappointment before a hot start this year but has 3 goals in his last 20 games.

I get it -- you want better players for the Sabres. We've had the same back-and-forth a few times now. You don't seem willing to agree that at some point, the price is too high. You are certainly entitled to believe that no one on the team is worth keeping if we can get Horton or Penner in the bargain -- but I think a team that's been gutted to bring in a couple of career underachievers would be worse than what we have now (which is a division leader with 18 games left, btw).

1. 28 teams absolutely thought the price was too high, regardless of how many teams actually called to inquire. And do you think Detroit called? San Jose? Chicago?

Do you know they didn't? I think they did. Those are teams that are focused on the Stanley Cup. Detroit went and signed Ralfalski. San Jose dealt for Thornton and Heatley. Chicago went for Campbell and Hossa. Do I think those teams asked about Kovi? You bet your a$$ they did. You really need to stop kidding yourself.

Do you know they didn't? I think they did. Those are teams that are focused on the Stanley Cup. Detroit went and signed Ralfalski. San Jose dealt for Thornton and Heatley. Chicago went for Campbell and Hossa. Do I think those teams asked about Kovi? You bet your a$$ they did. You really need to stop kidding yourself.

Who is kidding himself? You have convinced yourself that going after Kovy = going for the Cup and, more importantly (and more wrongly), that not going after Kovy = not going for the Cup. This is crazy thinking. The guy has NEVER won a SINGLE playoff game.

As for the specific teams I mentioned, Chicago wasn't interested: link.

Wirtz was asked point-blank whether or not the Hawks were in the mix on Kovalchuk, and while he didn't dismiss the idea, he did say the Hawks, if they made a move, would look to add players that added to the team's overall mold of solid two-way players. The CliffsNotes version: Kovalchuk doesn't play defense, so we don't want him.

It doesn't look like SJ or Detroit was either: link and another one. Or, if they did ask, they backed off pretty quickly when they found out the price. I don't think it was any kind of mystery that it was going to cost a good roster player(s), a top prospect and a #1. Again, 28 other GMs weren't interested in a Kovy rental at that price.

Who is kidding himself? You have convinced yourself that going after Kovy = going for the Cup and, more importantly (and more wrongly), that not going after Kovy = not going for the Cup. This is crazy thinking. The guy has NEVER won a SINGLE playoff game.

As for the specific teams I mentioned, Chicago wasn't interested: link.

It doesn't look like SJ or Detroit was either: link and another one. Or, if they did ask, they backed off pretty quickly when they found out the price. I don't think it was any kind of mystery that it was going to cost a good roster player(s), a top prospect and a #1. Again, 28 other GMs weren't interested in a Kovy rental at that price.

You can not really believe that teams like the Sharks, Hawks and Red Wings didn't take a serious look at a legit 50 goal scorer that came on to the market? It's even more frustrating to think of teams that are already far superior to the Sabres in talent upfront and the blueline are looking at all options to get better and the Sabers small time GM is too afraid to even consider it. A Kovi deal was too big for a GM like Regier to even comprehend let alone execute.

There is nothing "crazy" about thinking that having a GM that refuses to look at all options and use all the various tools and methods to improve his hockey club shows a lack of commitment to the ultimate goal. Winning a Stanley Cup is a big time goal that requires having serious people in important management positions. The Sabres have a absentee owner, a team president, or what ever Quinn is, that knows less about the game then the worst WGR550 caller and a GM that is manages afraid. That is not a recipe for success and it won't bring a Stanley Cup to Buffalo. I take it we still agree that is the goal? Is it not? You'll have to excuse me, when a 50 goal scorer hits the market and the Sabres GM is too afraid to even pick up the phone I am going to question the competence of that GM and the franchise's commitment to winning.

How can anyone know Kovy would've improved the Sabres more than the Devils? Why, exactly, was he "worth the rental" price? Has it led to wins for NJ? And how on earth can you be "sure come playoff time, he won't disappoint?" He's played in a total of 4 playoff games and won zero.

And castigating Darcy for not trading for 4 guys who weren't traded is crazy -- especially Penner, who has been a career disappointment before a hot start this year but has 3 goals in his last 20 games.

I get it -- you want better players for the Sabres. We've had the same back-and-forth a few times now. You don't seem willing to agree that at some point, the price is too high. You are certainly entitled to believe that no one on the team is worth keeping if we can get Horton or Penner in the bargain -- but I think a team that's been gutted to bring in a couple of career underachievers would be worse than what we have now (which is a division leader with 18 games left, btw).

I know we have bantared on this subject for a few posts, but it comes back down to 12 seasons with Darcy and no Stanley Cup Banner in the rafters at HSBC. I try to come across in such a way that allows for speculation, I state it as my opinion, but I tend to point to the banner situation because ultimately, that is the guideline that every fan, every media member and every organization member should be setting the bar at. I will say that we don't honestly know if a banner would be there if some one different was brought in as GM, but in all honesty, we know for a fact its not there under Darcy Regiers tenure with the club.

I do believe that Kovalchuk would have made an impact on this teams scoring woes. It is opinion, but when you look at NJ and you look at BUF I would go with a better fit here in BUF for him due specifically due to the massive scoring woes. It is, I will openly admit, pure conjecture on my part. But I always point back to the facts, and the facts are, we don't have a Stanley Cup Banner under Regier.

I know we have bantared on this subject for a few posts, but it comes back down to 12 seasons with Darcy and no Stanley Cup Banner in the rafters at HSBC. I try to come across in such a way that allows for speculation, I state it as my opinion, but I tend to point to the banner situation because ultimately, that is the guideline that every fan, every media member and every organization member should be setting the bar at. I will say that we don't honestly know if a banner would be there if some one different was brought in as GM, but in all honesty, we know for a fact its not there under Darcy Regiers tenure with the club.

I do believe that Kovalchuk would have made an impact on this teams scoring woes. It is opinion, but when you look at NJ and you look at BUF I would go with a better fit here in BUF for him due specifically due to the massive scoring woes. It is, I will openly admit, pure conjecture on my part. But I always point back to the facts, and the facts are, we don't have a Stanley Cup Banner under Regier.

The Sabres have scored more goals than NJ in the same amount of games.

Besides, we're 16th in scoring which isn't great obviously, but not something I'd label "massive woes"

The Sabres have scored more goals than NJ in the same amount of games.

Besides, we're 16th in scoring which isn't great obviously, but not something I'd label "massive woes"

There are so many more variables when it comes to the term "scoring woes". For example, streakiness, contributions from individual players, not only season long, but in defined situations such as "clutch" situations. Depending on the 3rd and 4th line to contribute and they actually are is a very good sign, but if you look at the significant contenders in both conferences you will see the obvious, Buffalo falls short, so in the case to be made for bringing in Kovalchuk, I'll say ya, it could be stated that the scoring woes are massive.

Our goals per game and overall positioning in the list of teams on the total goals this season are misleading figures at best, you could have 8 games with 5 or more goals and the remainder of the season go 1, 2 or 3 goals and get into the 13th to 16th position on the list. With that in mind, Kovalchuk may not be that "Clutch" guy, but with more contributions on the 5 on 5 situation and some pressure taken off of other lines, it could lead into a stable scoring situation.

Miller is great, but come playoff time, when we are facing offensive jaugernaughts like Pitt and Wash in the conference, I don't see the Sabres keeping pace on the score sheet, thats the opinion I was attempting to get across, with this in mind, I don't see how a pick up of Kovalchuk could have hurt. We wouldn't, as some propose to try and feed the fans, be mortgaging the future. Thats a sound byte that was worthless the day someone first spoke it, you have to give to get.

There are so many more variables when it comes to the term "scoring woes". For example, streakiness, contributions from individual players, not only season long, but in defined situations such as "clutch" situations. Depending on the 3rd and 4th line to contribute and they actually are is a very good sign, but if you look at the significant contenders in both conferences you will see the obvious, Buffalo falls short, so in the case to be made for bringing in Kovalchuk, I'll say ya, it could be stated that the scoring woes are massive.

Our goals per game and overall positioning in the list of teams on the total goals this season are misleading figures at best, you could have 8 games with 5 or more goals and the remainder of the season go 1, 2 or 3 goals and get into the 13th to 16th position on the list. With that in mind, Kovalchuk may not be that "Clutch" guy, but with more contributions on the 5 on 5 situation and some pressure taken off of other lines, it could lead into a stable scoring situation.

Miller is great, but come playoff time, when we are facing offensive jaugernaughts like Pitt and Wash in the conference, I don't see the Sabres keeping pace on the score sheet, thats the opinion I was attempting to get across, with this in mind, I don't see how a pick up of Kovalchuk could have hurt. We wouldn't, as some propose to try and feed the fans, be mortgaging the future. Thats a sound byte that was worthless the day someone first spoke it, you have to give to get.

This can be said for all teams...the two most common scoring outputs in a hockey game are 2 and 3. 1 and 4 are less common. Getting shut out and scoring 5+ goals are outliers. Do you have anything to backup your claim that the Sabres total goals stat is more padded by outliers than most teams? I doubt that it is.

I'm not trying to argue that the Sabres couldn't have used the scoring, but I think it's incorrect so suggest that we were worse off offensively than the Devils. In fact, we still may not be.

This can be said for all teams...the two most common scoring outputs in a hockey game are 2 and 3. 1 and 4 are less common. Getting shut out and scoring 5+ goals are outliers. Do you have anything to backup your claim that the Sabres total goals stat is more padded by outliers than most teams? I doubt that it is.

I'm not trying to argue that the Sabres couldn't have used the scoring, but I think it's incorrect so suggest that we were worse off offensively than the Devils. In fact, we still may not be.

Ok I did the legwork on this one...here are the scoring output tallies so far this season for the Sabres..

0 goals: 5 times

1 goals: 9 times

2 goals: 18 times

3 goals: 16 times

4 goals: 7 times

5 goals: 5 times

6 goals: 3 times

7 goals: 1 time

Now for the Devils

1 goal: 9 times

2 goals: 21 times

3 goals: 13 times

4 goals: 11 times

6 goals: 1 time

NOTE I didn't count shootout wins as an extra goal

Clearly, both the Sabres and Devils show a normal and predictable statistical regression as it relates to scoring output. Our woes were no more woeful than the Devils.

Ok I did the legwork on this one...here are the scoring output tallies so far this season for the Sabres..

1 goals: 9 times

2 goals: 18 times

3 goals: 16 times

4 goals: 7 times

6 goals: 3 times

7 goals: 1 time

Now for the Devils

1 goal: 9 times

2 goals: 21 times

3 goals: 13 times

4 goals: 11 times

6 goals: 1 time

NOTE I didn't count shootout wins as an extra goal

Clearly, both the Sabres and Devils show a normal and predictable statistical regression as it relates to scoring output. Our woes were no more woeful than the Devils.

Another misleading stat quote. Bare in mind, Buffalo picks up Kovalchuk its not only to produce more in 5 on 5 situations, its definitely to find success with the powerplay. He currently has 11 powerplay goals, tied for tops as a LWer and in the top 12 (current NHL stats) in the league.

Current POWERPLAY situation in the east.

NJD 41 goals - 18.7%

WAS 65 goals - 25.2%

PIT 45 goals - 17.3%

Buf 42 goals - 16.9%

As can be denoted clearly from the stats above, the advantage of putting a Kovalchuk on the Sabres has great potential for the special teams situations, as well as the 5 on 5's, which are of course, denoted from Kovalchuks overall seasonal stats.

So, from an overall prespective, as more variables are added to the equation, its looking more and more as though a pickup of Kovalchuk for the run into the playoffs would have been advantageous to say the least.

You can not really believe that teams like the Sharks, Hawks and Red Wings didn't take a serious look at a legit 50 goal scorer that came on to the market? It's even more frustrating to think of teams that are already far superior to the Sabres in talent upfront and the blueline are looking at all options to get better and the Sabers small time GM is too afraid to even consider it. A Kovi deal was too big for a GM like Regier to even comprehend let alone execute.

There is nothing "crazy" about thinking that having a GM that refuses to look at all options and use all the various tools and methods to improve his hockey club shows a lack of commitment to the ultimate goal. Winning a Stanley Cup is a big time goal that requires having serious people in important management positions. The Sabres have a absentee owner, a team president, or what ever Quinn is, that knows less about the game then the worst WGR550 caller and a GM that is manages afraid. That is not a recipe for success and it won't bring a Stanley Cup to Buffalo. I take it we still agree that is the goal? Is it not? You'll have to excuse me, when a 50 goal scorer hits the market and the Sabres GM is too afraid to even pick up the phone I am going to question the competence of that GM and the franchise's commitment to winning.

I think you're seeing things in a pretty black-and-white fashion here. You're saying that since DR wasn't in the mix for Kovy, that he's not interested in making significant trades to improve the team. I think that is completely wrong and, yes, "crazy." The fact that he wasn't interested in THIS trade for THIS player simply doesn't mean that he's "afraid" or that he "refuses to look at all options." It just doesn't. It means that in his professional judgment, this wasn't a good trade for the Sabres to make. That's all it means.

I think every GM, including DR and those of the Sharks, Hawks and Red Wings, thought about Kovy, thought about the price, and made a decision as to whether paying that price was in the best interests of his team. It sounds like there were only 3 teams that were serious bidders at the end, so 26 GMs, including those of SJ, Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh and Washington, weren't interested in coming close to the final price, and 28 weren't interested in the final price. Does that mean all of those GMs are "afraid?"

I certainly can't deny the absence of a Cup during DR's tenure. But, equally, neither can you deny the lengthy list of screwups foisted on him by his bosses over the years. Bottom line is that he assembled 2 separate Cup contender teams during his tenure and had to watch his bosses eviscerate them. You can't blame a chef for a poor soup when the restaurant's owner comes into the kitchen, reaches into the pot, pulls out the chicken and the carrots and dumps in a bottle of salad dressing.

I certainly can't deny the absence of a Cup during DR's tenure. But, equally, neither can you deny the lengthy list of screwups foisted on him by his bosses over the years. Bottom line is that he assembled 2 separate Cup contender teams during his tenure and had to watch his bosses eviscerate them. You can't blame a chef for a poor soup when the restaurant's owner comes into the kitchen, reaches into the pot, pulls out the chicken and the carrots and dumps in a bottle of salad dressing.

Well, I won't discount what you state here. Let me draw up a post I did on this in another forum. I think this should give some insight to my thoughts on this subject.

Darcy Regier is responsible for the product on the ice, period. He holds the title of GM, he makes the decisions, regardless of speculation on Quinn or TG, the face of these decisions is always going to be the GM.

Lets start with Darcy and Ruff in the Hasek era. Darcy did not have vision on what he had in Hasek, by this failure he made some franchise changing mistakes. First off, he didn't do an immediate impact study in a timely fashion. By the time he did realize what he had in Hasek, it was to late. A more aggressive approach and the no goal in game 6 may have become a non issue if he had acted swiftly and BOLDLY to bring in the front end help needed to push them to an even greater front end team, thereby potentially reducing the pressure on Hasek.

Lets skip ahead to the bankruptcy, not much of his doing, but we lived through it. Then the lock out, and this is what truly baffles me here, His team brought in the right components, showing me atleast, they went in the right direction, but following the build up to the 2 season run (05-06/06-07) complete incompetence set in at the management level. His inability to sign Drury and Briere and the subsequent decision to let them both walk is actually quite monumental in a franchises history. There is a rule that should be followed, and it should lead into the present day organization. Never let an asset walk for nothing unless you get something in return. Now how does this pan out for D/B? Well, Darcy took a rather careless risk that they would shoot for the cup in 06-07 but he knew full well they had no intention of signing both players, he took a huge gamble and figured one of them would resign. How he worked it, Drury first then Briere or vice versa is irrelevant, the risk he took cost the organization heavily in lost future potential. This was the second sign of incompotence from his decisions.

Now, you go into the off season and you have a core of young up and comers, but you have no data to support how they are going to gel (chemistry) or play together with the loss of the D/B. He made no significant moves to bring in any impact players to join this core group of youth and went for the build from with in method. This sounds great. But lets clear 2 major points up on this here. First the Vanek Affair (as I like to call it), he was correct in signing Vanek. You'll often see me post that we should have taken the 4 1st rounders, I say that half heartedly, Vaneks performance has only declined this season in all honesty, we'll get to this later. Then there was the Pomminstein contract, this is another decision that gave clear indication he is incompetent. I never would have given Pommers 5 mil a season, as a matter of fact, before I joined these forums or the original forums, I was stating he should have received 4 mil a season, 5 years, flat.

Now on to the rebuild, 07-08 was a season waiting to happen, and every one knew it. 08-09 showed much more promise with Miller entering his prime and had built his skill level. Do we make the playoffs last season if Miller and Vanek don't go down? Ya, I believe so. But do we do anything towards a championship? Absolutely not. And here is the reason why, this current roster can't do it. Period. There is no conversation to have beyond this statement, it is what it is.

So, now we come back to this season, we have 2 UFA defense men who could have been moved at the deadline, even if its for picks, its worth it. Darcy could have packaged together those picks with MacArthur or Stafford as roster players to bring in a RWer. Horton? maybe, Boyes, maybe, Penner, maybe. The point is, Darcy did nothing to attempt to solidify a top 2 scoring line. Torres won't resign here, even with Toronto in its current state, Torres has stated its been his dream to play for his home town team and Burke has stated thats his kind of player.

So, if you look at it from a rebuilding stand point, we have Ennis, Weber, Gragnani, Mancari ready to come up.

Thats a C, RWer, 1 Offensive d man (Gragnani), 1 Defensive d man (Weber). People don't seem to realize, when Dineen makes statements that Gragnani is ready, he's ready. Its another one of those, it is what it is.

So lets look at the defense first. Lydman is sure to walk this off season. What is Darcy going to do?

Here is what I see left prior to FA day. Myers, Rivet, Montador, Butler and Sekera. Does Tallinder get resigned? I doubt it, but its iffy right now. If you look at realistically, no, he doesn't, that leaves room for Sekera and Weber.

Butler is a total loss to me, this kid just does not have what it takes, big body but he refuses to use it, also he lacks focus and it shows. Thats just my opinion though.

So basically we can say that we may see a move for a really good D man in the off season. Rivet traded? Maybe.

Now to the forwards, and this is even a bigger mess. First question, who are you going to build around? For all of the talk I have witnessed in the media, on multiple boards and else where, it is apparantly clear this team lacks a #1 Center.

Ok, so, who to target then?

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/freeagents.ph ... &type=none

Don't know how accurate that list is, but, take your pick. What's it going to cost the Sabres? If not a UFA, then a trade on draft day for a top line center? Perhaps, Darcy has yet to surprise us in 12 years with this, so I'll say no, but hey, ya never know, this could be a part of the now infamous "THE PLAN".

So, lets go back to Wingers, and lets assume they get their #1 center. Is Vanek the LW, nothing else on LW looks promising, so lets say he is, now who is the RWer? Hmmmm.........

And we can go on like this attempting to build a team, but the point is right there for everyone to see. Darcy is going to have to assemble many parts to put together a winner. Which brings me back to my opinion on his incompotence.

He knew, he knew he was going to have to rebuild this team, yet he made no significant moves the past 2 off seasons as well as the past 2 trade deadlines to bring in impact players with existing contracts. I have to tell ya, he didn't make much of an effort.

Other teams are blowing up their rosters to rebuild, Darcy is not a competent GM in my opinion, and should be fired for dereliction of duty. To me, as a fan anyways, I want a winner, he has had the time to produce, he has not been successful, 12 years is plenty enough to achieve this. I am sorry to everyone else, but my assesment of the BUFFALO SABRES GM will never change, this man is not the man that can do it.

As for Ruff, he is a good coach, Darcy has not given him the tools to complete the job.

As can be seen from my post (I know its a long read) the emphasis I make is really 2 fold. I understand we've seen him build contenders, but he lacks the ability to finish, no different than his team really. I cannot subscribe to ownerships interference with the team without concrete evidence of this. Its all speculation until then. As for this most recent owner, they are close to the cap ceiling already, so I won't buy into that excuse with the Drury/Briere fiasco.

You can't blame a chef for a poor soup when the restaurant's owner comes into the kitchen, reaches into the pot, pulls out the chicken and the carrots and dumps in a bottle of salad dressing.

I think a more apt analogy would be that our chicken realized it was almost cooked, jumped out of the pot and swam across Lake Erie to cool off.

Or are you one who believes when the owner didn't provide crunch, in the form of celery, the chicken bailed?

I'm lost/hungry.

Well, I won't discount what you state here. Let me draw up a post I did on this in another forum. I think this should give some insight to my thoughts on this subject.

Darcy Regier is responsible for the product on the ice, period. He holds the title of GM, he makes the decisions, regardless of speculation on Quinn or TG, the face of these decisions is always going to be the GM.

Lets start with Darcy and Ruff in the Hasek era. Darcy did not have vision on what he had in Hasek, by this failure he made some franchise changing mistakes. First off, he didn't do an immediate impact study in a timely fashion. By the time he did realize what he had in Hasek, it was to late. A more aggressive approach and the no goal in game 6 may have become a non issue if he had acted swiftly and BOLDLY to bring in the front end help needed to push them to an even greater front end team, thereby potentially reducing the pressure on Hasek.

Lets skip ahead to the bankruptcy, not much of his doing, but we liv

ITALICS

y opinion, and should be fired for dereliction of duty. To me, as a fan anyways, I want a winner, he has had the time to produce, he has not been successful, 12 years is plenty enough to achieve this. I am sorry to everyone else, but my assesment of the BUFFALO SABRES GM will never change, this man is not the man that can do it.

As for Ruff, he is a good coach, Darcy has not given him the tools to complete the job.

As can be seen from my post (I know its a long read) the emphasis I make is really 2 fold. I understand we've seen him build contenders, but he lacks the ability to finish, no different than his team really. I cannot subscribe to ownerships interference with the team without concrete evidence of this. Its all speculation until then. As for this most recent owner, they are close to the cap ceiling already, so I won't buy into that excuse with the Drury/Briere fiasco.

I'd like to read that but the italics are killing my eyes. How about a quote box instead?

I think a more apt analogy would be that our chicken realized it was almost cooked, jumped out of the pot and swam across Lake Erie to cool off.

Or are you one who believes when the owner didn't provide crunch, in the form of celery, the chicken bailed?

I'm lost/hungry.

Can't find ur way back to ###### ?

Well, if you want to ignore what is pretty widely known, you are really just assuming away the issue (i.e. "assuming all of the snafus that have occurred were DR's fault, then all of the snafus were DR's fault."). And the cap is really neither here nor there -- ownership deciding to spend to the cap AFTER the horses had left the barn and then saying "hey, it's not our fault, I'm spending to the cap" was a particularly annoying and obtuse response that TG and LQ utilized far too many times in 2007 and 2008. Bottom line is that when management was at a key decision point in the franchise's history, they completely butchered the process and set the team back more than a couple of years.

Well, if you want to ignore what is pretty widely known, you are really just assuming away the issue (i.e. "assuming all of the snafus that have occurred were DR's fault, then all of the snafus were DR's fault."). And the cap is really neither here nor there -- ownership deciding to spend to the cap AFTER the horses had left the barn and then saying "hey, it's not our fault, I'm spending to the cap" was a particularly annoying and obtuse response that TG and LQ utilized far too many times in 2007 and 2008. Bottom line is that when management was at a key decision point in the franchise's history, they completely butchered the process and set the team back more than a couple of years.

Not that I don't think this could be the case, but as I asked, point me to concrete evidence. Until then, every side of the ownership debate is really speculation.

As for the "after the fact" stance. That dog don't hunt given the contract to Pommers and the subsequent decision to match the Vanek offer, these to instances being the case, why would they not have offered Drury or Briere the 5 mil a season for 5 seasons being touted by Darcy himself the season before? We'll get back to this question.

Lets focus on the current situation for a moment. Knowing this current roster was going to fall short based on not only their own performance on the ice, but also taking into consideration the way other teams not only in the league, but specifically the conference are beginning to shuffle components into place, I believe its a fair assesment to make that Darcy and his team were aware of the build up ongoing in Wash. as well as Pitts ability to shuffle components in and out of the line up and maintain their competitiveness based on core components already in place, i.e. Crosby, Malkin.......

With that being the case, why did Darcy and his manamgement team not look to revamping the core of the Sabres? Success breeds success, Detroit has successful turnovers as well. I guess the point to make here is this past off season, or, more to the point, this trade deadline, moves could have been attempted to be made on a serious nature to improve the overall core of the team with little to no hinderance of the "Build from Within" mentality, or better known as "The Plan". I see Myers and possibly Ennis as contributors toward this end, but thats it really. Roy and Vanek need a RWer since Lindy is ###### bent on keeping them together most times, Connolly/Hecht/Pomminstein line is decent but inconsistent. And we could go down the line up and do this, but this brings me back to the core of the team. Consistency, they don't have it. Even Miller is stating to the press that this team has been extremely fortunate to get away with the play this season.

I think you're seeing things in a pretty black-and-white fashion here. You're saying that since DR wasn't in the mix for Kovy, that he's not interested in making significant trades to improve the team. I think that is completely wrong and, yes, "crazy." The fact that he wasn't interested in THIS trade for THIS player simply doesn't mean that he's "afraid" or that he "refuses to look at all options." It just doesn't. It means that in his professional judgment, this wasn't a good trade for the Sabres to make. That's all it means.

I think every GM, including DR and those of the Sharks, Hawks and Red Wings, thought about Kovy, thought about the price, and made a decision as to whether paying that price was in the best interests of his team. It sounds like there were only 3 teams that were serious bidders at the end, so 26 GMs, including those of SJ, Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh and Washington, weren't interested in coming close to the final price, and 28 weren't interested in the final price. Does that mean all of those GMs are "afraid?"

The GM's of the teams you name have already made significant deals. Not many of the 26 other GM's have teams slanted as heavily towards goaltending as the Sabres do. The team that did? The Devils, they pulled the trigger. Darcy never showed up for the fight.

How many of those other 26 teams are getting the goaltending the Sabres are getting this season? How many of the those 26 teams have a goaltender carrying their team to third in the Conference? It's easy to understand why many of those other "26 GM's" decided not to go after Kovi. There is no excuse for Regier. He has a goaltender that has positioned this team to a point where they can be a player. What the Sabres needed was a GM with a set of stones to take this chance and run with it. Regier is not that GM. Keep defending Regier. He will be here a long time simply because there is no accountability in the organization. Sabres fans have many years of looking towards the future and never taking advantage of the now.

The GM's of the teams you name have already made significant deals. Not many of the 26 other GM's have teams slanted as heavily towards goaltending as the Sabres do. The team that did? The Devils, they pulled the trigger. Darcy never showed up for the fight.

How many of those other 26 teams are getting the goaltending the Sabres are getting this season? How many of the those 26 teams have a goaltender carrying their team to third in the Conference? It's easy to understand why many of those other "26 GM's" decided not to go after Kovi. There is no excuse for Regier. He has a goaltender that has positioned this team to a point where they can be a player. What the Sabres needed was a GM with a set of stones to take this chance and run with it. Regier is not that GM. Keep defending Regier. He will be here a long time simply because there is no accountability in the organization. Sabres fans have many years of looking towards the future and never taking advantage of the now.

So -- do you think trading Butler, MacArthur, Kassian and a #1 for Kovy would've made the Sabres real Cup contenders this year? Not being sarcastic -- just want to know if you think that's the case.

So -- do you think trading Butler, MacArthur, Kassian and a #1 for Kovy would've made the Sabres real Cup contenders this year? Not being sarcastic -- just want to know if you think that's the case.

It's a huge step towards making them a "real Cup contender." I would have also picked up a couple of those defenseman that went for next to nothing. I would have taken a shot a Cam Barker along with a Aaron Ward or Andy Sutton. With a 50 goal scorer added to the top line and some additions to the blue-line? Yes, the Sabres would be real Cup contenders as long as Miller stays at his current level.

Archived