[OT] DIRECTV Customers Unite!

richnjoisy

Does anyone out there in Sabreland have the skill to put together a downloadable (WORD?) with the address of Directv

to complain about the lack of VERSUS? They claim VERSUS is overcharging them but where is our refund? (I mean, was not VERSUS part of our package the last few years? And they claim they are doing this to save US money? yeh, right)

Who knows if it will work but if a concerted effort of many many write ins complaining to DIRECTV might have an effect.

In any event, if someone will put together a WORD document stating, basically:

We, the customers of DIRECTV, are very unhappy with the fact that VERSUS is not on DIRECTV and that we do not accept the excuses for not having it on DIRECTV.

It should include a threat to drop DIRECTV if the dispute is not resolved by the start of the NHL postseason.

I know I would print it up and spread it around my workplace for people to sign and mail.

-RichNJoisy

Well...that's all well and good but really, we've all been over this a million times. Most of us complained and most of us received some sort of credit on our bills. If I remember right, amounts ranged from a $50 credit, to the whole season of Center Ice for free. (I forget who that lucky dude was...)

And I think what it comes down to is the fact that the teeny tiny print at the bottom of your contract says something like this: "DTV may add, drop, re-arrange channels in our line-up with little or no notice. Whenever we want...so there".

Well...that's all well and good but really, we've all been over this a million times. Most of us complained and most of us received some sort of credit on our bills. If I remember right, amounts ranged from a $50 credit, to the whole season of Center Ice for free. (I forget who that lucky dude was...)

And I think what it comes down to is the fact that the teeny tiny print at the bottom of your contract says something like this: "DTV may add, drop, re-arrange channels in our line-up with little or no notice. Whenever we want...so there".

SO far, I would assume, not enough clamor has been raised. For example, I have not yet done anything other than email them.

They have urged me to call to (no doubt) bribe me. But I assume like you I want VERSUS and not $ so I may have to show my anger by walking away. The only reason I still have DTV is because of the NFL package.

Lastly, letters USED to mean something more than phone calls. I am willing to see if that is true AND try to encourage a larger group of people than, so far, have complained.

-RnJ

SO far, I would assume, not enough clamor has been raised. For example, I have not yet done anything other than email them.

They have urged me to call to (no doubt) bribe me. But I assume like you I want VERSUS and not $ so I may have to show my anger by walking away. The only reason I still have DTV is because of the NFL package.

Lastly, letters USED to mean something more than phone calls. I am willing to see if that is true AND try to encourage a larger group of people than, so far, have complained.

-RnJ

Well I can't walk away...I have a contract. The refund money worked for me, I'm going to use it to add my local cable's basic package that has Versus. Problem solved.

My cable co. does not offer Center Ice so I am stuck with DTV for now.

Does anyone out there in Sabreland have the skill to put together a downloadable (WORD?) with the address of Directv

to complain about the lack of VERSUS? They claim VERSUS is overcharging them but where is our refund? (I mean, was not VERSUS part of our package the last few years? And they claim they are doing this to save US money? yeh, right)

Who knows if it will work but if a concerted effort of many many write ins complaining to DIRECTV might have an effect.

In any event, if someone will put together a WORD document stating, basically:

We, the customers of DIRECTV, are very unhappy with the fact that VERSUS is not on DIRECTV and that we do not accept the excuses for not having it on DIRECTV.

It should include a threat to drop DIRECTV if the dispute is not resolved by the start of the NHL postseason.

I know I would print it up and spread it around my workplace for people to sign and mail.

-RichNJoisy

No disrespect intended but how did you figure out how to sign up for a message board if you don't know how to create a Word document?

and you signed up almost 4 years ago for this? :ph34r:

How many Sabres fans, let alone NHL fans, will not be able to watch the Playoffs this year due to this issue? I was looking for a place to get more people involved. You don't think this site has interested parties? What exactly is your problem with my checking here for interest?

How many Sabres fans, let alone NHL fans, will not be able to watch the Playoffs this year due to this issue? I was looking for a place to get more people involved. You don't think this site has interested parties? What exactly is your problem with my checking here for interest?

No problem Rich take it easy. I too have DTV. If only we had some way of all uniting together and forcing them to do it.

FYI, DTV & Versus have been involved in a protracted legal battle with no end in sight. There will be no benefit in any kind of a letter writing campaign. The only remedy is for all of you who paid for Center Ice call and demand a full refund of those monies paid. I was the lucky guy who got all his $$ back, so I know it can be done. The only thing DTV will listen to is the threat of you leaving DTV altogether, which you have to be prepared to do. As for the guy who claims he is stuck in a contract, I suggest you re-read it.... It is not worth the paper it is printed on. You have a valid breach of contract argument for their failure to deliver CI on VS.

No problem Rich take it easy. I too have DTV. If only we had some way of all uniting together and forcing them to do it.

FYI, DTV & Versus have been involved in a protracted legal battle with no end in sight. There will be no benefit in any kind of a letter writing campaign. The only remedy is for all of you who paid for Center Ice call and demand a full refund of those monies paid. I was the lucky guy who got all his $$ back, so I know it can be done. The only thing DTV will listen to is the threat of you leaving DTV altogether, which you have to be prepared to do. As for the guy who claims he is stuck in a contract, I suggest you re-read it.... It is not worth the paper it is printed on. You have a valid breach of contract argument for their failure to deliver CI on VS.

Center Ice isn't on Versus. DTV delivers Center Ice just fine. It is Versus that DTV is failing to deliver.

I will re-read my contract but I am fairly certain that they reserve the right to add and drop channels. Can we then get out of our contract if they drop the Home Shopping Network? In turn, if they add the Fishing Channel, do they charge more?

I also subscribe to XM radio. If they drop Lithium and add The Patsy Cline channel, can I yell "breach!" and get out of my contract?

C'mon...this is pretty standard stuff. If you read the fine print, you will find that they reserve the right to change anything on their standard tiers at any time.

Center Ice isn't on Versus. DTV delivers Center Ice just fine. It is Versus that DTV is failing to deliver.

I will re-read my contract but I am fairly certain that they reserve the right to add and drop channels. Can we then get out of our contract if they drop the Home Shopping Network? In turn, if they add the Fishing Channel, do they charge more?

I also subscribe to XM radio. If they drop Lithium and add The Patsy Cline channel, can I yell "breach!" and get out of my contract?

C'mon...this is pretty standard stuff. If you read the fine print, you will find that they reserve the right to change anything on their standard tiers at any time.

Apples and oranges and totally unrelated, I dropped Sirius (Sirius XM technically) because I could justify it at $10/month but not at $15. (Sorry, I'm a cheap ...) Within a week, they called me back and gave me the service at 50% for 1 year. So now I get it for $7/month. :thumbsup:

While you are right that they can change anything they want, they don't want to lose customers. Although you can't get games on CI on your local cable (but $'s to donuts you can get the Big 10 network), you can still threaten DTv w/ a switch to Dish, or going cable and subscribing to the internet version of CI. If your laptop has a HDMI port on it, you can get a decent picture on your tv through the computer. (Haven't watched hockey via computer, but lax wasn't half bad.)

All I know is my days with DTV are numbered. I've been a customer since 1996. I find them no better or worse than their competition and competitors. The whole VS thing has upset me, but not enough to threaten to leave when I didn't have any real intentions to. The only reason I've stayed all these years was to watch the Bills. Well with what appears to be another three years of misery on tap, I will no longer pay to watch them. You've heard me say this previously, the Bills are "unwatchable". No QB, No OL, No RB, No TE, No DL, and a brand new coaching staff with serviceable but unspectacular credentials leads me to conclude that nothing will change.

What gets my goat with DTV is the audacity to charge 100 extra to watch the games in HD. If I turn on my local channel, I can watch the Ravens in HD every week, fee free. The same is afforded every viewer in every city in America that receives Fox and CBS. So to be required to pony up 100 more dollars on top of the 300 to watch an utterly pathetic franchise is my threshhold for change.

I'll always root for my Bills. I just won't pay 300 any longer. So without the need to watch the Bills, I'm entertaining other carriers for CI. I'm sure after watching the Sabres on the computer during the playoffs, I'll probably dump CI too after this year.

I got my first DTV bill since the CI and NFL Sunday tickets installments are over and I like it.

I Mis-wrote; DTV is failing to deliver. The argument I made with DTV is that I paid a premium for CI & now part of it is being withheld, so that is how I got all my $$ back.

Re: the contract, sucks for you if you don't think you want to pursue an out. The only thing I can think of is perhaps they are different across state lines. I am in GA & don't have anything in writing tying me to DTV.

I Mis-wrote; DTV is failing to deliver. The argument I made with DTV is that I paid a premium for CI & now part of it is being withheld, so that is how I got all my $$ back.

Re: the contract, sucks for you if you don't think you want to pursue an out. The only thing I can think of is perhaps they are different across state lines. I am in GA & don't have anything in writing tying me to DTV.

But...part of Center Ice is NOT being withheld. Versus is not part of Center Ice at all...it is a separate channel, just like Lifetime or The Golf Channel. So technically, we are getting what we paid for as far as Center Ice goes.

Direct TV dropped a channel off of a tier. They do that all the time. They add and drop channels ALL THE TIME. Now if they dropped Center Ice after we paid for it, then we'd have a beef. But Versus is just part of a basic package. Two different things.

As far as a contract goes, it comes with your first bill. By using the service (ie: watching tv) you accept the terms and conditiond thereof. The contract is usually 18 months, if you add DVR or HD it's 24 months. And yes, anyone can cancel at any time. It's just a matter of the fees they charge when you do. There's an "early termination" fee, and there's a "disconnect fee". You are charged both if you rent the equipment from them. If you own your own equipment, you still have the "disconnect fee".

But...part of Center Ice is NOT being withheld. Versus is not part of Center Ice at all...it is a separate channel, just like Lifetime or The Golf Channel. So technically, we are getting what we paid for as far as Center Ice goes.

Direct TV dropped a channel off of a tier. They do that all the time. They add and drop channels ALL THE TIME. Now if they dropped Center Ice after we paid for it, then we'd have a beef. But Versus is just part of a basic package. Two different things.

As far as a contract goes, it comes with your first bill. By using the service (ie: watching tv) you accept the terms and conditiond thereof. The contract is usually 18 months, if you add DVR or HD it's 24 months. And yes, anyone can cancel at any time. It's just a matter of the fees they charge when you do. There's an "early termination" fee, and there's a "disconnect fee". You are charged both if you rent the equipment from them. If you own your own equipment, you still have the "disconnect fee".

And not to get too technical, but isn't the channel being withheld by Comcast/Versus? That's what the on-screen message reads...

And not to get too technical, but isn't the channel being withheld by Comcast/Versus? That's what the on-screen message reads...

yes, you are right. And that is usually the reason a dish/cable provider stops airing a channel. They can't come to an agreement with that channel, whether it is being withheld by the parent corp., or dropped by the provider.

Just passing this along...

The wife called DirecTV today to complain about the Versus thing and about not having MSNBC in HD for the Olympics. The guy told her that the Versus impasse should be resolved within a couple weeks, because apparently he claims that the government stepped in and is forcing Versus to come to the table and get it resolved. He said the gov't told them what Versus was doing was illegal. :rolleyes:

He also said that even though we don't show a HD version of MSNBC in the DirecTV guide, we could have gone to the DirecTV Olympic Sports Zone channel and selected the USA-Canada game and it would have been shown in HD. A secret channel, if you will. :rolleyes:

I find all this extremely unlikely and am taking it all with a huge grain of salt, but again, just passing it on. I really hope, for the sake of that CSR, that what he told her is true and gets done, because otherwise she is going to unleash some fury on the next DirecTV customer service unlucky enough to get her call from the queue.

Just passing this along...

The wife called DirecTV today to complain about the Versus thing and about not having MSNBC in HD for the Olympics. The guy told her that the Versus impasse should be resolved within a couple weeks, because apparently he claims that the government stepped in and is forcing Versus to come to the table and get it resolved. He said the gov't told them what Versus was doing was illegal. :rolleyes:

He also said that even though we don't show a HD version of MSNBC in the DirecTV guide, we could have gone to the DirecTV Olympic Sports Zone channel and selected the USA-Canada game and it would have been shown in HD. A secret channel, if you will. :rolleyes:

I find all this extremely unlikely and am taking it all with a huge grain of salt, but again, just passing it on. I really hope, for the sake of that CSR, that what he told her is true and gets done, because otherwise she is going to unleash some fury on the next DirecTV customer service unlucky enough to get her call from the queue.

What channel # is that?

Archived