GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Hopefully this road trip will show Darcy that the team needs something more.

THIS...

The table was bound to tilt this way eventually. Hopefully, they can right the ship against Vancouver and take the good vibes home with them. 8 points on this road trip would not be that bad, and if the losses are going to come against anyone, it's good that they came against the WC teams.The general consensus is right though...this team needs another piece to the puzzle.

There are a lot of moving parts to this lineup, but something needs shaken up. They need someone to spark the PP unit, and someone who they can count on to put the puck in the net given some of the chances they had tonight. As much as I dislike the guy (mostly from being with OTT), to have a goal scorer the quality of Dany Heatley would be amazing.

As SDS pointed out in other posts definitely Montador's worst game as a Sabre. I will note though that I've seen him and Lyndman flirt with danger like this in many games just haven't seen that many end up in the back of the net till tonight.

Miller was back down to earth maybe fatigue I' don't know but I would like him to be on top of his game when we play the Devils back home wednesday. Does Lindy give Lalime the start Monday?

All and all as many have said an entertaining game and if Nabby didn't have one of his best games or a couple posts were twine or we knew how to finish a different outcome. They did prove they defintely can hang with the big boys.

I didn't hear the post-game comments. What was the gist?

Paul asked Lindy -- OK, Paul never asks anything -- Paul told Lindy he thought his team outplayed the Sharks for two periods. Lindy said he thought they outplayed them all night, or for three periods.

Dude. You just lost by three goals.

Classic Buffalo Loser's Lament. We outplayed them, but...

Sabres played a good game last night. Especially for being on the back end of a long road trip. Two things were the difference last night imho. Nabby outplayed Miller. I also think that the Sharks depth of scoring helped decide the outcome. I think from 1-3rd lines Sharks have a bit better touch around the net. Pavalski, Clowe and Setoguchi. Sabres work ethic was what had the Sharks off balance in the first period. I was also really impressed with Myers(of course who isn't)who is a natural puck handler and has really good instincts when to head to the net. I think Buffalo is one player away from being kinda dominant.With their work rate, coaching, Myers and Rivet on d, adding someone like a Getzlaf type would make them scary good. Someone in another thread mentioned Dustin Penner might be available. Maybe thats your guy.

Sabres played a good game last night. Especially for being on the back end of a long road trip. Two things were the difference last night imho. Nabby outplayed Miller. I also think that the Sharks depth of scoring helped decide the outcome. I think from 1-3rd lines Sharks have a bit better touch around the net. Pavalski, Clowe and Setoguchi. Sabres work ethic was what had the Sharks off balance in the first period. I was also really impressed with Myers(of course who isn't)who is a natural puck handler and has really good instincts when to head to the net. I think Buffalo is one player away from being kinda dominant.With their work rate, coaching, Myers and Rivet on d, adding someone like a Getzlaf type would make them scary good. Someone in another thread mentioned Dustin Penner might be available. Maybe thats your guy.

Great post. But our owner sees full houses, and our GM sees the team in first place and won't seriously risk upsetting "chemistry." I envision the phrase "We like our team" come deadline day.

Great post. But our owner sees full houses, and our GM sees the team in first place and won't seriously risk upsetting "chemistry." I envision the phrase "We like our team" come deadline day.

And yet people try to jump on my case for suggesting otherwise. I was talking about the Sabres lack of physical play for a month or so now. Suddenly I see it brought up in other threads. Don't get me wrong, it's good to see others finally being to look at this team despite the shinny glow of the standings.

This team needs a lot of help upfront. Needs to to get a bluliner or two. My thoughts on the backup goalie are well documented. The worst thing this team can do is go into the playoffs "as is." Anyone who suggests otherwise is fooling themselves.

The Sabres do work hard. What they don't do is the little things that can help lessor talented teams win a Stanley Cups. They don't hit, block many shots and their turnover to takeaway ratio is almost 2 to 1. They give up way too many shots on most nights. The Sabres as they stand are built for the regular season and getting into the playoffs. They are not built to last very long once the playoffs start. They are built to go as long as Miller can carry them. which would be a waste if they did not improve on that.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit to hear that come out of DR's mouth.

This team needs a lot of heap upfront. Needs to to get a bluliner or two. My thoughts on the backup goalie are well documented. The worst thing this team can do is go into the playoffs "as is." Anyone who suggests otherwise is fooling themselves.

While I don't think that they should sit tight and do nothing, if you actually believe that they need as much help as you suggest (looks like 5-6 players), then all hope must be lost for you. No team makes that many moves at the deadline and certainly not a DR-run team. I would guess that there will be 2 changes, at most, and changing backup goaltenders will not be one of them.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit to hear that come out of DR's mouth.

It would be the third worst thing Buffalo sports would have to endure this year.

#1 "Introducing your new Buffalo Bills GM....Buddy Nix."

#2 "Introducing your new Buffalo Bills Head Coach....Chan Gailey."

#3 "We like our team." Darcey Regier

THIS...

As SDS pointed out in other posts definitely Montador's worst game as a Sabre. I will note though that I've seen him and Lyndman flirt with danger like this in many games just haven't seen that many end up in the back of the net till tonight.

Miller was back down to earth maybe fatigue I' don't know but I would like him to be on top of his game when we play the Devils back home wednesday. Does Lindy give Lalime the start Monday?

All and all as many have said an entertaining game and if Nabby didn't have one of his best games or a couple posts were twine or we knew how to finish a different outcome. They did prove they defintely can hang with the big boys.

I imagine it's a must start for Miller, in Vancouver, for obvious reasons. Would love to see Lindy grow a set here and make the right decision. I'd rather sacrifice what's likely a loss anyway for a fresh Miller and a fighting chance against NJ on Wednesday.

While I don't think that they should sit tight and do nothing, if you actually believe that they need as much help as you suggest (looks like 5-6 players), then all hope must be lost for you. No team makes that many moves at the deadline and certainly not a DR-run team. I would guess that there will be 2 changes, at most, and changing backup goaltenders will not be one of them.

That just goes to show how far they are away from a Stanley Cup.

That just goes to show how far they are away from a Stanley Cup.

Well, it goes to show how far you think they are from the Stanley Cup. I didn't say that I agreed with your assessment, just that you must have no hope if you believe it. I think that with the right two moves and Miller staying pretty hot, they could compete. There's no guarantees in the playoffs; it's about chances. With your 5-6 changes, maybe they have a better chance to win it. That's not going to happen and it's not realistic to expect that it will. The question should be what two moves (give or take) can give them the best chance to win.

Well, it goes to show how far you think they are from the Stanley Cup. I didn't say that I agreed with your assessment, just that you must have no hope if you believe it. I think that with the right two moves and Miller staying pretty hot, they could compete. There's no guarantees in the playoffs; it's about chances. With your 5-6 changes, maybe they have a better chance to win it. That's not going to happen and it's not realistic to expect that it will. The question should be what two moves (give or take) can give them the best chance to win.

...or maybe they have a worse chance. Team chemistry is important, especially on a team like the Sabres that relies primarily on home-grown talent and not free-agent acquisitions. Carp is right...overhauling 25% of the roster this year is never gonna happen, nor should it IMO.

But just look at the San Jose game....the Sabres played about as well as they could and outshot the Sharks but still succumbed. Where was our goal scoring? What about all those turnovers? Yikes! IF the Sabres did make it to the Finals (and that is a pretty big if), and the Sharks were their opponent, I couldn't see that series going more than five games with the Sabres on the short end. Mind you, my heart says otherwise, but my left brain says "No, way (San) Jose!"

But just look at the San Jose game....the Sabres played about as well as they could and outshot the Sharks but still succumbed. Where was our goal scoring? What about all those turnovers? Yikes! IF the Sabres did make it to the Finals (and that is a pretty big if), and the Sharks were their opponent, I couldn't see that series going more than five games with the Sabres on the short end. Mind you, my heart says otherwise, but my left brain says "No, way (San) Jose!"

And a goalie who allows four goals in so few shots -- a big problem too.

THIS...

Agree....Montador's made three mistakes that killed them.

Depends on how you look at it. They made a few bad mistakes, each of which ended up in the net. In most games this season, either they didn't made those mistakes (not that bad anyway) or Miller bailed them out. However, they also hit a lot of posts and were still tied 43 1/2 minutes into the game. Certainly, against a team like the Sharks, they will have to keep their game squeaky clean to have a chance, but I would hardly say that game proves they would be walked over. Like I said, make the right two moves and that series is far from a lock.

:lol:

The pithy hockey authority has spoken, this time in only iconography.

You're right. As always. Miller is at the very top of his game right now. I just wonder how many jock straps he packed for the Western Swing. Thank God the trip was over last night. He was running low.

Archived