Interesting goaltending duel in Portland

carpandean

Just checking out the Portland Report on sabres.nhl.com and this prompted me to look a little closer:

The Portland Pirates are sticking with the hot goaltender in JP Lamoureux. The netminder has started the last four consecutive games for the Pirates, resulting in a single loss and a three-game winning streak.

So, is Enroth really the #3 goaltender in the Sabres system (giving #2 to Lalime because of his position, if nothing else) or is Lamoureux passing him by? I remember that J.P. surprised a lot of people during preseason, playing very well. Looking at their stats now, things are getting interesting:

Enroth: 12 GP, 3.89 GAA, 0.872 S%

Lamoureux: 11 GP, 2.75 GAA, 0.902 S%

Lamoureux looked like the better goaltender during rookie camp and I would not be surprised at all if he takes over Enroth's spot. You can just tell when someone is good, and J.P. gave me that feeling in my gut.

I look forward to seeing where this goes.

My gut says the same.

I'm doubtful we have any NHL caliber goalies in the system right now. Even though Enroth is still young and has a ways to go, I'm not sure he'll make it to the big time anymore. However, I don't think we need to worry for a long time about getting one. We just need to find a decent No. 2 somewhere.

I'm doubtful we have any NHL caliber goalies in the system right now. Even though Enroth is still young and has a ways to go, I'm not sure he'll make it to the big time anymore. However, I don't think we need to worry for a long time about getting one. We just need to find a decent No. 2 somewhere.

I don't understand how this statement can possibly be made about a 21 year old goalie who is in his second full season in the US. Take a look at Vokoun's numbers at that age, Kiprusoff's numbers at that age (you won't find them, he was playing in Finland/Sweden), Lundqvist's numbers at that age (again, playing in Sweden)... I've only found one young european goalie so far who was playing in the states at 21 who had strong numbers, Kari Lehtonen, and look how that has turned out so far.

I don't understand how this statement can possibly be made about a 21 year old goalie who is in his second full season in the US. Take a look at Vokoun's numbers at that age, Kiprusoff's numbers at that age (you won't find them, he was playing in Finland/Sweden), Lundqvist's numbers at that age (again, playing in Sweden)... I've only found one young european goalie so far who was playing in the states at 21 who had strong numbers, Kari Lehtonen, and look how that has turned out so far.

You can find the stats, actually (I'm not arguing one way or the other; just showing you where to find the Euro stats):

Kipper

Lundqvist

Archived